It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2004, 04:09 AM   #1

SouthernGirl_78 HB User
Exclamation Addict in recovery in need of opinion about another addict still using

I was addicted to heroin for about a year 2 1/2 years ago. Before that I did about everything else, replacing one for another up until the heroin, lasting a total of about 3 years. I went to rehab for 5 months and that's it. I never did anything about my recovery after that, except to look up information and write poems regularly---so I guess I mean I didn't go to meetings, etc..I know it's only been 2 1/2 years and I'm only 21 years old, but I have had no real problems with temptation or desires and being a college student, I am put in what should be uncomfortable situations with drugs just about daily.
So, my point is, I seemed to have the whole recovery thing a lot easier than every person I know/knew who is either dead, in jail, in rehab, using still, or like my ex-boyfriend with Hepititus C. I am the only one who hasn't relapsed. I need to help my roommate's little sister who is only 17, and I don't know what advice to give her, considering I am not the usual case. She went to rehab recently and came back to her old friends and habits immediately. Before she was in denial that she had a problem, and just today, she told her mom and her sister that she was hopeless and was on drugs again. They have not really talked to her since and want me to talk to her. They don't know she was doing heroin, she just told me. I've been through too much to just watch this. I've talked to her many times, even before her addiction started, about my experiences. I just don't know what will work for her...???
Sorry this is so long and I appreciate any suggestions!

Last edited by SouthernGirl_78; 10-19-2004 at 04:09 AM. Reason: Font and color problems

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2004, 05:46 PM   #2

mernee HB User
Re: Addict in recovery in need of opinion about another addict still using

I have a strong opinion on your post, one you may or may not agree with. I do not believe that any addict can stay clean without some sort of help. I think that many addicts can abstain from using by not being around it, changing thier lifestyles etc.....however, the problems that caused us to numb ourselves are still there. You say that you are unusual, or not usual, I beg to differ. That is a famous line for an addict, " I am different"," I can do this alone",I am not the same", it is a dangerous way for an addict to feel. I hope and pray that you are one of the unusual one's that will stay clean. I also abstained from drugs for many years, but without the support and help that I need I eventually fell back into addiction. Give the advice that you know is tried and that works...meetings, counselling, rehab, detox.

Old 10-23-2004, 12:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sarandipity HB User

Southern Girl,

Hello! Im Sara, I wanted to reply to your thread. From the percentages of people who stay in recovery there is only one way that has been proven to work.... you have to do the work.....

1/ Pray, meditate

2/ go to meetings- READ THE BIG BOOK

3/ help other addicts and alcoholics

4/ get a sponsor

5/ never put any drug in your body

If you dont do these things you will either.... go insane, get locked up, or end up 6 feet under. Those are the Statistics. NOT my opinion. Its been proven time and time again.

My blessings to you and I pray God directs you to a treatment ctr that works. I went to a treatment ctr in texas, it's what Dr. Phil suggests on his show. I met people from all over the US there. It works.

Old 10-23-2004, 02:06 PM   #4

Windy 2 HB User

What about Methadone? Is this part of your recovery and do you think yours friends sister would benefit from this drug?

Old 10-24-2004, 01:03 AM   #5

SouthernGirl_78 HB User
Talking Re: Addict in recovery in need of opinion about another addict still using

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy 2
What about Methadone? Is this part of your recovery and do you think yours friends sister would benefit from this drug?
I really don't like the whole Methadone idea. I just think it's like replacing one drug for another, plus it's VERY hard to come off of (judging from the several people I've known try this). Thank you for your suggestion, though. And thank you all for responding!

Old 10-24-2004, 06:53 AM   #6
Inactive

Twinlynn HB User

Southerngirl,

First, please let me say congratulations to you for getting off and staying off drugs. I imagine that five months in a rehab gave you a wonderful chance to adopt new ways of thinking and to apply them in the way that was best for you, individually. I believe that we all represent a diversified cross-section of beliefs, personalities, strong points and weak points....and who we are is based on the support structure we experienced from childhood to the present..from our families and friends. Some of us are lifted by religion, others by a faith within themselves. No one "makes" it without the care of loved ones in their life.....whether they find it from addiction groups and special sponsors....or from the awareness that close friends and family have seen them through their addiction...and are there, in the wings, with the love and support they need.

Just like "tough love" is appropriate counseling for some..while a softer approach goes further with others, there is no "one single path" in which we all find the answer. (And that's what makes the world so fascinating--there is so much diversity to explore!)

For a good number of former addicts, meetings are key to their survival. But there are others for whom a core structure of family and friends works best. Our earlier day-to-day life choices, are indicative of whether one-on-one straight talk is most effective--or if we thrive in groups of support. In the end...whatever works for YOU is the answer. And you may have to try both ways to find out. But my point is (yes! Somewhere in here is a "point"! LOL!) that your own decision--and your success in staying away from drugs--is a huge accomplishment in your life! And, it gets a high A++ from me...and a big, big "contratulations" to you on your success!!

As for your friend's sister--until she is ready to give up the drugs--there is no one thing that will help her. Talking, counseling, groups are all keys to recovery--provided she's listening. And from what you say, she hasn't reached that point yet. Other than the methadone, there is also a drug, Suboxone, that is fairly new....but gets high ratings from those who found it impossible to stop opiate use. Yes, it's a "drug exchanged for a drug"--but it produces no "high" from it....and teaches your brain to live without those ups and downs that have become such a part of your life. Those here who take it, say they feel "normal" for the first time in so many years. They do not suffer the terrible depression and lethargy connected with withdrawal...and they say that when they take Suboxone, they do not even THINK about seeking other drugs. You DO have to taper off it, when you ready to stop (athough some people stay on it for years), but I have not read any better feedback on any drug for addiction than I have with Suboxone. (You can check the Archives here in the Board's "Search" box.)

Anyway, you have done a wonderful job to change your own life. But, unfortunately, there will be a limit to how much you can help your friend's sister, until she wants...and asks....for help. It must be very disheartening for you--having come through your own struggle--to watch this unhappy young girl, who feels so hopeless about life. I do hope that there will be a happy end to this story. Please do keep checking in here. People do truly care.

Lynn

Old 10-24-2004, 02:42 PM   #7

mernee HB User

Yes, I so agree with Twinlyn. I think help of any kind, whether it is a drug prescribed by a good physician, meetings, counsellors, support groups, friends, family whatever it may be....however the bottom line is she has to first ask for the help. I was always told find 10 people that have a year or more clean and ask them how they did it? You might get ten different ways and they all worked and one would be right for you, however it is she who must exhibit the willingness to ask.

Old 10-25-2004, 01:04 PM   #8

SouthernGirl_78 HB User

Thanks again everyone...the drug suboxone...is that like methadone? I mean, do you have to go get it from a clinic or is it something prescribed by your regular doctor?
The girl I was talking about ran away from her parents house yesterday...they found her with the police's help at a 28 yr old guys house doing dilaudids, since she is only 17, and now her parents are making her do something, whether it is rehab again or if they could think of something else. They are asking my opinion, so I'm going to mention this drug to them after I look up older messages where people have written about it. Thanks again!

Closed Thread