It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2004, 06:20 AM   #1

blindfaith HB User
Exclamation Sub Question-PLEASE help!

I've been a lurker on these boards for quite awhile and appreciate how helpful everyone is. I have been on Suboxone for about six months now to try to stop a long-standing addiction to narcotics. I did really well on it for a while, and then I guess I got a little too cocky, because I stopped taking it regularly and also stopped going to meetings, praying, the whole bit. Last Friday and Sat. night I used, 40 mgs of oxycodone each night. I was able to keep it at a two-day relapse, and started the sub again on Sunday.

The problem is that I have been called in for a random drug screen, and I'm terrified that the oxycodone will still be in my system. A friend was telling me that the suboxone was more powerful than the oxy, and would effectively have flushed it out of my system once i started taking it again. Hence, why I've always heard that you should be in as much withdrawal as possible before taking suboxone (if you are taking it purely for detox) or it will put you in withdrawals.

Is there any validity to this? I guess it doesn't really matter because the oxy will either show up or not, but I guess I'm grabbing at straws. I'm sure others can relate to the panic of "getting caught."

Isn't it amazing how the consequences of using never come to the forefront until after the relapse? At least for me...
Please let me know what others think, and I would appreciate any prayers to help me stay clean and sober after this relapse.

Thanks....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2004, 01:09 PM   #2

octomon HB User
Re: Sub Question-PLEASE help!

Hi blindfaith,
Yes. You slipped. Now get back into meetings, and only look back long enough to investigate your reasons for slipping. Otherwise keep looking forward I say. For what it's worth, my doc said that oxy or vicodin should will only be detectable in the system for a couple of days after taking it. For your sake though, I don't know if it's better that your test comes back positive or negative. I'm not judging you, I'm just thinking about all the painful lessons I've had to learn through all this myself....As you now realize you were taking a huge risk in many ways. A weekend high just ain't worth it.
Good luck to you! Stay clean!
peace,
octomon

PS: I'm one of those "Got cocky on the Sub" types. A couple of times. It was like cheating on a loving spouse for a cheap one-night-stand. Never again.

Last edited by octomon; 10-19-2004 at 01:13 PM.

Closed Thread