It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2004, 02:53 PM   #1
(male)

OxyHater HB User
Ultracet - REALISTICALLY

I am getting ready to go thru oxy wd's, ONCE AGAIN. I have 14 oc's and 30 ultracets to get me thru until Monday, when I can get an oxy refill. Will the ultracet help AT ALL with the dope sickness? I don't know if I should take an oxy every 8 hours with a few ultracet in between? Someone please let me know. I was taking about 180 mg's of oxy a day. I also have an appt with my neurologist tomorrow morning. I am PRAYING that he will give me some Lortabs enough to get me through. Will that also help me? I cannot believe I ran out of meds early again. The self hatred is well deserved. Someone please let me know you are out there.

Old 10-19-2004, 03:04 PM   #2

Hope12 HB User
Re: Ultracet - REALISTICALLY

Oxy-
What a vicious cycle you are in,one I know too well as I'm sure many others do,too.The lowdown,ultracets will help somewhat,they are a reduced amount of tramadol(37.5mg)mixed with acetominophen,but I can't recommend the amount you should take to help keep the withdrawals at bay because high amounts of tramadol carry a pretty good seizure risk.Lortabs would also help,but have you thought about getting off of this stuff and break this nightmare cycle??How long have you been on oxy's and what are you given them for?If you are being treated for chronic pain,have you considered discussing with your MD your increasing tolerance to the drug??Tolerance is something that you can't avoid when you're on long-term pain meds,and all doctors pretty much know this,so I think it's important that you tell someone.This cycle does NOT get better,and you need some intervention-NOW!!Please let me know how you're doing,and I'll answer any questions I can to help.

Peace,Stacie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2004, 03:15 PM   #3
(male)

OxyHater HB User

Stacie:

Yes, I am a chronic pain patient. I broke my neck in a car addident several years ago and in 2003 had a cervical fusion surgery that did not work and actually made things worse. I have talked to my PMD about increasing my dosage, as I have been on it for over 18 months. He says that due to my age (33) he doesn't really want to increase my dosage. He doesn't want me carrying around wheelbarrel full of medication by the time I am 50. Understandable. But what am I to do? So, I take my medication and end up running out early. I did this over the summer and I told him about it. He told me that if I ever did it again than he would excuse me from his pratice. So here I sit. I am damned if I do and damned if I don't. It's truly a sorry excuse for a life. I am miserable. I see my old neurologist tomorrow morning and I am hoping that he does give me some Lortab's. But you are right, I cannot continue to live this way forever.

Old 10-19-2004, 04:34 PM   #4

Hope12 HB User

Oh, I am so sorry to hear what you're going thru.And shame on your Md,really for not recognizing that tolerance to meds over an extended period of time is unavoidable!! Have you checked out any type of pain management clinics?Sounds like you definitely qualify!Unfortunately,physical dependancy is a consequence of long-term pain management,which is NOT addiction,and if your current md doesn't understand this, I would start looking around for someone who does.It's hell enough having to live with chronic pain,even worse when your pain is not being managed properly!!I don't know what type of insurance you're dealing with,but I would just call around to different treatment places and just start asking questions-it doesn't hurt to explore other options,gather information,and see if there are some better treatment plans out there for you (actually I'm sure there are).On top of your persistant pain,you now have a horrible physical dependancy that needs to be addressed,because that will end up being WORSE than your pain!!Maybe you can talk to your neurologist about this issue??You don't deserve the extra suffering. You're in my prayers,I hope you find someone who will be able to help you med wise,otherwise, keep me posted, and let me know how your appointment goes tomorrow!!
Strength and Prayers,Stacie

Old 10-20-2004, 04:35 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Find another pain doc.any GOOD pain doc knows that their will be tolerance issues at some point and will adress them appropriately.you should not have to put yourself through this continuing hell just for pain relif.a pain doc that truely understands how to treat chronic pain would adjust your dosages more appropriately to your pain and tolerance levels.Age should not be an issue when dealing with the levels of pain you are having to live with.Believe me, i can totally relate to what you are going through here.I also have major spinal cord damage due to a spinal cord surgery to remove what was basically a glob of blood vessels that had formed in there.It has been a total nightmare with regard to my pain levels and all of the neuro damage and two pain syndromes that started because of thalamic spinal tract damage and many damaged nerves in my c spine.You need to find a GOOD pain Dr who will treat your pain levels appropriately.That includes the proper use of opiates and other meds,and other modalities to treat chronic pain.My pain clinic offers many many options besides the use of narcotics.A good pain doc will balance the narcotics with other meds like steroids anti siezure meds for the nerve pain and offer injections or acpuncture or about ten other options.My point here is, you should not have to suffer like this when there is such a wide array of other options here to treat your intractable pain.Please find another doc who actually cares about his or her patients.I am very very lucky to have found one.Keep us posted,K? Marcia

Old 10-20-2004, 11:15 AM   #6
(male)

OxyHater HB User

My PMD does Rx nerve meds, anti depressants and other things in combonation with the oxy. It's just that he does not want to increase my oxy level. I am officially out of oxy today and I don't see him again until Monday. My neurologist gave me 100 Lortab 10/500. That should get me through, right? I would think that even with the substitution, I should not have bad wd's. Can someone please address that question? I took back the ultracet, because I read that you can have seizures if you are going thru drug wd's. The pharmacist was happy to exchange since I had not taken any. Thank you all for your wonderful posts. Now, about that Lortab question?

Old 10-20-2004, 10:00 PM   #7

Hope12 HB User

Oxy-
I know how you're feeling,and you know what?? I'M sending you a big cyber hug,as it can be a slow realization/process to find your way out of this viscious cycle.You have a two-fold problem-1) You DO have a major chronic pain issue and 2) You are addicted to pain meds.As we all know it is not an uncommon (however unfortunate) situation that occurs when you have chronic pain.When you're ready,you'll find your way back,and hopefully that happens before something tragic occurs.But in the meantime,keep posting,keep talking,and let me know what's happening.I can see at this point you are smack in the middle of miserable active addiction,but you recognize that something has got to start changing.I still say seek out other MD's,a pain clinic,etc.There are better ways to manage your pain,more effective ways out there.Don't go anywhere,keep posting here,everybody is entitled to their own opinion and have different ways of expressing themselves.I've been on and off these boards for almost two years now,and I know there are some absolutely wonderful,supportive people here.I'm sending you strength,prayers,peace and....lots of HUGS!!!!!Keep me posted!!!

Peace and Love,Stacie

Old 10-21-2004, 06:30 AM   #8
(male)

OxyHater HB User

I know there are so many understanding people on here. I have been lurking and reading for quite awhile now. I KNOW I have a problem. I KNOW I have to deal with it. But, I can tell you this, the end is coming soon to this horrible addiction. I am not sure yet, how exactly this is going to happen and I have been going over different things in my mind. But, I realize that I am not even happy anymore, ever. These pills literally control my life and that is something that I cannot deal with. I have a wonderful life, husband, kids...I am scared, but I know I have to do something. Thanks Stacie, for your prayers and hugs. I totally need it right now.

Closed Thread