It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2004, 04:42 PM   #1
Veteran

Root HB User
Hi Evry One

Hi to all my old and new frends. I am just checking in to let you all know that I am still doing good. I have six months clean from hydro yesterday. It feels so good to wake up and not be drug sick, and that's for sure. I still don't feel like my old before hydro self but I am told at meetings that it could take a year to get back to that. I hope you are all doing good and I want you to know that I am still praying for evry one.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-20-2004, 11:08 PM   #2

Hope12 HB User
Re: Hi Evry One

Hi Root!!
I just recently started posting again myself,good to see you're still around and.....AWESOME!!!! Six months clean!!!I can definitely identify with still not feeling quite right-and at this point,I'm not sure how exactly I'm SUPPOSED to feel.I obviously didn't feel right BEFORE I started abusing pain meds,so, hmmm,kind of leaves me hanging,hoping this isn't the way I'm supposed to feel to begin with!!!But OHHHH,the relief of not chasing that crap around every single day!!!That's another big motivator for me to stay clean!!(Almost nine months,but with a couple minor "slips".)So good to see another "old-timer" (hehe) still around,continuing the fight!Take care,and here's a good chance for you to maybe offer some advice to those still suffering active addiction!!

Peace,Stacie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2004, 05:49 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

windysan HB User

Very good job hitting the 6 month mark. Just remember how sick you were when you were dopesick.....always remember how it felt.

Old 10-21-2004, 06:38 AM   #4
Inactive

Twinlynn HB User

Hi, Root!! Great to see you back! And so happy you're doing well. From what everyone tells me, it is not uncommon for it to take a year to get back to normal again. And, to tell you the truth...I'll be darned if at this point, I could even REMEMBER what "normal" was for me!! LOL! I just know that it's gotta be better than THIS, where I just want to curl up by myself and not take part in the real world.

So--you have gotten past that first big step--and, now, each day, your brain is healing, bringing you closer and closer back to the real "you". That is sooooo great! And, I'm so glad that you came back to share this good news with us. :-) Lynn

Old 10-21-2004, 08:50 AM   #5
(female)

agentalias HB User

Hi Root!
Yes I remember you and corresponding with you but under a different alias. Thats great and wonderful! 6 months is a milestone! You must be proud!

How are you feeling? Give us some feedback on your release from hydro hell!

You are an inspiration. Keep posting! Take care

Last edited by agentalias; 10-21-2004 at 08:51 AM. Reason: typo

Old 10-21-2004, 01:19 PM   #6
(female)

DallasAlice HB User

Dear Root,

You don't know me, but I sure feel like I know you...I was one of those who read from afar yet never posted...you know the type, the lurker! I had been reading this board for probably over a year before I joined about 4 months ago. Once in awhile--even further back than that (like 2 years or more, maybe?)--I used to read this board when even you were somewhat of a "newbie," and you had a thread going about your hydro addiction. As that was my drug of choice, it caught my eye, and that was the first thread I followed here. I always wondered about you and the others with whom you were corresponding (I mostly recall your converstations with Philster, Rudder, Jeri, and others whom I can't remember at the moment) and I was so intrigued by the commaraderie (sp?) and encouragement and support that I saw being shared here, that I finally stopped lurking and joined in this last summer.

From what I remember about you and my reading of it from behind the scene, if I am right, you had around a 30+ a day vike habit going on (but then I remember you offering the board an apology of sorts as your habit was actually quite a bit more than that, and I am thinking it was more in the 50/day area? PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, though, okay!? I remember how very worried you were about how the others here would think of you, yet you continued to receive the same supportive, encouraging posts I have found offered to me since I came here.

In all honesty, it is this board and its members that deserves the credit for my finally putting the pills away and my beginning treatment. My story is long and scattered all around the place, and it was on a night filled with suicidal thoughts and enough pills and booze to probably have done it right, that I made my first post. I quickly rec'd a reply from Michelle (John 3:16), and we talked for quite awhile that nigh--which now seems so very long ago and like it was a different person than me talking. Because of Michelle's care and interest in my well-being that night, along with many others, I've been alive and well and posting away ever since!

Funny how I didn't think of posting on this board as my taking a "step," though, you know? But in hindsight I can see that it was a very big step...if one were to look at it from the point of view that I'd been reading from behind the screen for so very long, and then a "trigger" went off inside me, and I typed my first thread. I guess what I am trying to say is that to go from lurking to participating was a very big step, at least for me, and it was members like you who had such a strong desire to stop taking the pills that kept me coming around and eventually created in me the urge to talk about my addiction to people who could understand.

All attempts at c/t and tapering failed, so after much research and reading the input I asked for from the members here, I decided to go on methadone. I considered Sub, but the cost was prohibitive. It feels great to not be thinking constantly of pills, pills, pills! I do flash back to the feelings of the high and the euphoria, but my kids and my well being and health...along with a sizable stack of bills...brings me back to reality.

Well, I didn't mean to ramble on so, especially since we've never corresponded before! I just really wanted to say "hi" to one of the people on this board who, without knowing it, was creating a desire in a person somewhere out in cyber-land to get off this craziness and start living a different kind of life, and I wanted to thank you for that, too. I see you don't post as much since your difficult time with the Sub and the very real pain issues that you also have to deal with, but I hope that you will send me some of that "positive energy" you so often wrote about !

Congratulations on doing so well...you sure have come a long way, and it wasn't an easy time of it either. One more thing...I remember you were going to a counselor and a lot of meetings...do you find the meetings helpful? Or do you run into people who think if you're on the Sub or the Methadone, that you're just trading in one drug for anther? I would like to find a meeting to go, but the thought of that keeps me away, I think (either that, or it's one heck of a great excuse, LOL!)

Hope to talk to you again, and I'm glad I was able to get to intoduce myself to someone I feel I've known for a very, very long time...

Dallas Alice

Old 10-22-2004, 04:53 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisaaahubb HB User

HI ROOT!!!!
Happy 6 months clean
It is so good to hear from you. What are you doing to maintain sobriety these days...you and Sara are surely inspiring people. I would love to hear more from you....how's Luke????
Well you made my day....luv ya Root!!!!
luv,
LISA

Old 10-22-2004, 05:58 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Root, SOOOOOO happy for you hon!! I am so glad that you have things under control here and you have finally found that peace you have been searching for.how are you doing on the pain front?are your levels still at the tolerable level?I think about you alot when i am on the boards and was really wondering how things were going for you.It HAS been awhile since the last post from you ,ya know??(hint,hint)Glad to know you are OK.Marcia

Old 10-22-2004, 04:46 PM   #9
Veteran

Root HB User

Well, thanks to you all for being so kind and telling me a hello back from my post. I have to really thank Dallas because I have evry day sent positive enrgy to evry one here and evry where any addict is. I never knew for sure if it was helping any one, but it is a kind of habit now, you know. Dallas, thank you so much for letting me know that any thing I did here on this board was helpfull to you. When I think back to those terrible days of being sick and still having to always look for more of those pills, it makes me sick now, lol. I was up to 500 mg. of hydrocodone a day and at the end, that didn't even feel like enough. I am so grateful for this board and people who reached out to me. I am sure the positive enrgy from this board helped me very much.

I have a few close frends who are recovring and I hang with them. I keep very busy too. I also go to AA meetings at least three or four times a week. I find it really helps especially on those nights when I feel bored and or antsy, you know? When I was on the sub I never said any thing about it because I didn't know how the AA or NA group would act. I figured I was clean even if they didn't and I didn't want to mess up the good enrgy I had going with the group. I have to say it feels now much better to know I am 100% clean but I would not let Sub or Methadone stop me from going to meetings. I wouldn't tell them, but you can still make so many good and real frends. That's just my take.

I have a lot of pain on some days and not too much on others. I find that I am incresingly less able to walk very far and while this distreses me, I don't want to go on any narcotic unless it would become absolutely no other way necessary. Even with some discomfort, I am so happy to be drug free. I have had sevral epidurals and they have helpled a lot. I also switched recently from Celebrex to Motrin because of the problems with the Viacin and that was a hard transition trying to find the right dose of Motrin. Now it is okay.

Lisa, thanks for asking and remembering about Luke. We have become very tight and he goes evry where with me. I have so much love for him but I tend to worry some thing will happen to him because I am still very heart sick over losing my Joey. He is healthy and happy though and he is my best frend.

Well, thanks again evry one for still caring about me and welcoming me here. I send positive enrgy to all and I want to help any one here in any way I can as we all fight together against this crazy addictions. Take care.

Old 10-24-2004, 05:43 PM   #10

opiateskill000 HB User

i'm new here, but i just wanna say that's awesome! i'm 3 months off of hydro right now, and i always wonder how long it will take to get back to baseline in my head, i guess it's gonna be a while...i have a few questions for you though, if you wouldn't mind taking the time to answer them...
1. how do you feel now compared to, say, when you were 1 month clean?
2. how close do you feel to being "yourself" again? (half way there? more? less?)
3. do you still get cravings?
4. have you done any other drugs since you quit hydro?

Old 10-29-2004, 04:07 PM   #11
Veteran

Root HB User

Hi Opiates. Thanks for your message. I will try to answer your questions for you.

I feel a 1000% better now than when I was a month clean. I still had a good amount of withdrawal at that time and my head did not want to work right. It's hard to say how much like myself I feel right now. I think I still have a way to go. Those who have a lot more clean time say it takes about a year to feel normal, so maybe I am half way there? I do get a craving once in a while, but I just remember how bad I felt when on the hydro and how hard it was to get off. I don't want to do through that again! I haven't done any drugs since I got off the hydro. My doc has me on some but they are not addictive. I think what really helps me is going to AA and NA meetings almost evry night. It helps to talk with others who have been in the same boat.

Thanks again for your message. I will send positive enrgy your way to help keep you clean.

Closed Thread