It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2004, 04:12 PM   #1
(female)

marti_girl HB User
Question PLEASE???.....Will somebody answer this quick??...

Can anyone out there please tell me what the potential for abuse is for ADVAIR discus inhaler and Spiriva HandiHaler??? I just found a bunch of it in my stepdaughter's underwear drawer. What do they do to someone for whom they weren't prescribed (that doesn't even have an asthma problem)? I'm so dumb when it comes to drug abuse...I know about most of the basic stuff but this is out of left field.

Sign me,

Scared Mom

Last edited by marti_girl; 10-21-2004 at 04:56 PM. Reason: thought i might be coming on too strong...but i'm just upset

Old 10-21-2004, 06:47 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Benit HB User
Re: PLEASE???.....Will somebody answer this quick??...

I used to be a pretty bad asthmatic through my entire childhood, but grew out of it in my mid-teens. Before then, I needed to use an asthma inhaler almost every day at some point. I was prescribed the Ventolin Albuterol inhaler and took it as needed, before exercise so my asthma didn't flare up, etc. At the time I was too young to even know that it could *conceivably* be used recreationally; although I did notice I felt extra refreshed after each spray. From my recollection of it, this was a very temporary "feeling", and not something I feel anyone could really get hooked on.

I do remember, though, when asthma inhalers were sold OTC for a short time.. the main reason they had to be restricted to prescription only again is because young kids got a "kick" out of them; there was too much inappropriate usage going on.

I don't know about the devices you mentioned; the active ingredient in those is different from what I used when I had asthma. But I imagine the same principle of action could be similar, where there's a short-lived feeling of relaxation after usage (again, I don't know.) If that's the case, it's certainly no where near as addicting as other drugs; but on the same token, definitely *not* something to fool around with.

I'd sort of put it near the category of using household chemicals for a quick buzz--just too dangerous because you can't know the full extent of the effects.

But again, I don't know the details of your situation.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2004, 07:06 PM   #3

kisa HB User
Re: PLEASE!!!.....somebody answer this quick...

it is for those that have COPD, or asthma, does she have that?, if not she may be puffing, paint cans, glue.?. good luck, to your family

Old 10-21-2004, 09:41 PM   #4

sburch98 HB User
Lightbulb Re: PLEASE???.....Will somebody answer this quick??...

Marti Girl,
I do use Advair, but I am not familiar with the other inhaler that you mentioned. I use Advair Disc because I have emphysema, (COPD) and asthma. The only thing I can think of that your daughter may be using it is because it gives you a very brief feeling of energy. Not really energy, but it makes me shaky and I feel as thought I am up on the ceiling, which I do not like. It's hard to explain but it is kinda like taking a diet pill! But it is very short acting. Maybe she thinks it will give her a "boost"! The only thing that would concern me about it, would be that since she is taking this stuff and it is not prescribed to her, would be that it may lead to other things down the road (if not already). If she is taking something to try to change how she feels...BE AWARE! If she is trying to change how she feels she may be looking for something more "addictive", like pot, pills, or alcohol. I would have a "serious" talk with her if I were you. And SOON!!

Closed Thread