It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2004, 08:58 AM   #1

Joesaddiction HB User
Suboxone - WD please help

Well its time for me to come off of suboxone and the last one I took was Sun night at 11pm (I took 1/2mg). So this is day five for me. It wasn't as easy as I through. WD are a *****. This is day 5 and my right leg is still shaking. Does anyone know when this will stop. Doc gave me clonedine (I think I mispelled it) and it doesn't help. Please write back and let me know when my right leg will stop shaking.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2004, 01:48 PM   #2

Joesaddiction HB User
Re: Suboxone - WD please help

Doc wanted me off it and I have tappered down to 1mg. I took 1mg a day for the last 4 weeks. I don't know why I am having so much trouble getting off it. Took a 1/2mg sun at 11pm and its now fri 3:45pm and my right leg is still jumpy. I have taken the cloridine with litte success. I have gone this far and I really don't want any more suboxone right know. I have to be close to the end.

Joe

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2004, 02:18 PM   #3

Baseball65 HB User

Hi Joe.

I don't know if this will help,but when I came off suboxone last time,it took just about 7 days to be close to normal.I didn't taper though...just quit taking it.Nobody warned me and it was really scary,so I can relate.

I'm actually going back on sub next Thursday....I did the "rapid" 5 day detox and it didn't work at all...20 days out I was coming unglued...not physically..Mentally.

How long were you on the sub for?
The program I'm going in to is for 12-18 months,though I was hoping to do it shorter.I've been on Hydro for 5 years and I've read that it takes about 6 months to come off and normalize somewhat.

-baseball

Old 10-23-2004, 06:55 AM   #4

Beginagain2 HB User

I wish I could say that I knew anyone who got off and stayed off suboxone. I just don't. I am sure they exist but there are probably relatively few. The medication is made to be taken for a lifetime. I have tried a few times and have gotten down as low as .6 mg a day (of the injectable form). I did it very slowly but always at some point I gave up. By that I mean after six weeks of not adjusting to the dose change I increased it again. I have a wife and child to support so I can't afford to be endlessly drug sick.

I have also tried to switch back to oxycodone. But even in high doses I could not stand the withdrawals from the buprenorphine. Even methadone does not seem to prevent the withdrawals. This drug is in a class of its own. A typical narcotic but in some way it is different. I am to the point now, that I may well be on it the rest of my life. I hate the idea but that seems to be a real possiblity. There are times when I curse the day I ever used it even though it saved my life.

Everyone is different so don't let my experience discourage you. If you stay with it sooner or later your brain and body will adjust.

Peace Out

Last edited by Beginagain2; 10-23-2004 at 07:02 AM.

Old 10-23-2004, 10:42 AM   #5
(female)

agentalias HB User

I did a slow taper off Subutex and been off opiates for several months now. I feel great and life is so much better without it. Don't get me wrong I am still an advocate for Sub and it can truly help a lot of people. However, it is still a crutch.

Sub is a long acting opiate , 24-36 hours. Therefore, a slow taper is the only way to go. I relapsed many times off it and finally did a slow taper. Even if the last few weeks are chips off your Sub tablet. I literally was shaving chips off it and I could feel relief just taking chips. Jumping straight away off it will make your WDS way worse. The Sub WDs are threefold compared to hydro WDs.

Joe, you went from 1mg to 1/2mg. Why didn't you stay on 1/2mg for 4 weeks also? After that, cut your 1/2mg to 1/4mg , then to nothing. But slowly!

Don't get me wrong, you will still have WDS, but they should be mild.

Baseball...Why are you going back Sub?

Take care.

Old 10-23-2004, 10:55 AM   #6

Baseball65 HB User
AgentAlias re:question

Hi AgentAlias.
I"m going back to sub to kick Hydro.

I only did sub as a "rapid" detox before and tapered waaaay too fast.I relapsed 20 days off of hydro.Stayed away from Morphine and some of the other stuff,benzo's etc,but could NOT cope with the day to day responsibilities.

I went from 4 mg a day to zero........quite a crash.I've been on Hydro for 5 years,Ididn't imagine a 5 day taper was going to be that effective.

---baseball

Old 10-23-2004, 12:05 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sarandipity HB User

Joe,
I havent heard from you in so long. I pray you get off the Sub. The detox is a nightmare. I truly believe unless you get the knowledge you will need by going to a rehab even if you get off the sub- the craving kicks back in and using again is ineveineable. It take Alot of work, no just detox- that really the least of your worries.

There is a whole nother world out there and you wont reach it by being on ANY kind of meds.

I just got back from a 30 day treatment center where I did by detox. I took hydros for 3 yrs. 10/500, 25 a day.

The first two days of detox they gave me phenobarb, quinine, bentyl, clonidine, and phenergan.

Then I started on Suboxone, 6mg for two days 4mg 2 days, 3 mg 2 days, 2 mg 2 days and 1 mg for two days.

I thought I was going to die, or at least I wanted to. For 7 days.

There is a reason for that... Your body wants the opitates. If you are serious about wanting to quit- dont do it on your own. The ugly truth is that you will not be able to safely and for the rest of your life. Don't try detoxing on your own or under a doctor's care from your home. Trust me. You will be right back on the opiates.

I was explained the biological part of this disease. Your survival system shuts down after taking opiates for an extended period of time. Friends, Food, and Sleep are no longer important. What is important is getting more opiates.

And yes, comming off of Suboxone is very, very, very hard. You will have fever, chills, body aches- for up to a year. You will have diarieaa, your head will feel like it's on fire. You will have extreme cravings for opiates, you will want to jump out of your skin.

Unless you have a death wish, don't detox from home. It's dangerous. Who will take your blood presure? Are you going to go see your doctor everyday while you are feeling like you want to die?

Your mind is is powerful thing. If your body, mind, and soul are not on the same page, you will end up using again. I wish you the best Joe. Ive been sober for 35 days and I have good days and bad days- but Im happy, don't have to worry about feeling GUILTY anymore, don't have to worry about counting my pills anymore I FEEL feelings now. I am HERE for my children now, Im not CHEATING my job out of anymore wasted time now.

It feels GOOD TO BE IN MY OWN SKIN,....... finally. The drugs were weighing me down. Try it.... but please check in to a 30 day rehab, any less and you wont get it. Goodluck Joe!

Love,

SARA

Old 10-23-2004, 02:30 PM   #8

Joesaddiction HB User

I would like to thank all of you for responding to my plea for help. You are all without a doubt the most caring people out there. I am on day 6 and my right leg is hardy jumping any more but I fell so wriped out right with almost zero strenght. I had to take another week off from week to hopfully regain my strenght.

Joe

Old 10-24-2004, 01:46 PM   #9

Joesaddiction HB User

This day 7 without any suboxone. My right leg is only very slightly kicking but I can handle it. I just feel wipe out. I know I should keep myself busy but playing couch potato seems like a better idea. I want to thank everyone here for giving me the information and the courage to end my oxy habbit and go on suboxone. Now all I have to do is get my strenght back. It feel's great not to watch the clock any and worry about getting more oxy's. I never heard about suboxone until I joined this board so I wish to thank everyone from the bottom of my heart.

Joe

Old 10-24-2004, 06:44 PM   #10

sburch98 HB User

Joe, I have been following your post's since day one of you getting off the oxy's. I have never taken them because I have heard soooo many horror stories about them. And I had never heard of the Sub's either until I started reading this message board. But from what I have read I am not sure Sub's are any better. I don't know cause I don't know anything about Sub's. Just what I have read. I have heard the W/D's from them are really bad. But then again W/D's from anything addictive is bad and should only be done under a doc's supervision as far as I am concerned, especially if you have other health issues. But the reason I am responding to your post is that I would like to suggest that you take a good all purpose vitamin and some additional Vitamin B's and Thiamin. Taking pain med's depletes your body of natural vitamins badly. That is one reasons that we have absolutely NO ENERGY when we are trying to get off of this stuff!! So eat WELL and take vitamins. Also a nice glass of orange juice with a teaspoon of honey in it will help and it also helps with cravings. At least it does for alcohol w/d. But it can't hurt you. We have done so much damage to our bodies over the years of abuse with drugs and/or alcohol that it is going to take time to replenish our bodies with the "good" things. I know cause I have been there and still take pain meds. I take Methadone. That is why I read this message board because I am an addict and this board helps me a lot and I have learned a lot from all of you. And I like to share my experience, strength and hope. I have been sober for almost 8 yrs. but I am still a "slave" to those darn pills. I wish you luck and take care of yourself--no one else will! S

Old 10-25-2004, 12:15 PM   #11

Joesaddiction HB User

Sburch98,
Thanks for writing back. This is my eight day with no Sub and I think I have it licked. I just feel very wiped out. Been trying to eat 3 meals a days but it hasen't been easy. I think I will try a good 1 a day vitamin to help me.
Sub is a ***** to come off of but it can be down. I think oxy withdrawal would have been much worse. I had a bad case of restless legs and I was very jumpy for at least 5 to 6 days. That's all the I had to deal with. Not as easy as it sounds. I sure oxy withdrawal would have been much worse. But it feel great not to watch the clock anymore and worring when my next pill is coming from.

Joe

Old 10-26-2004, 02:11 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sarandipity HB User

Joe,
Im sooooo glad you are feeling better. I had 7 days of that hell. Im 37 days clean now. Im still taking Ibuprophen but that is it!

How are your pupils doing? Mine pupils were still so small at 15 - 28 days out.

But I feel so much better now. I get less sleep and still feel great. How is your kicking? The treatment gave me bentyl for cramping and quinine for leg cramps and kicking. But the worst is over for you!

The rehab I went to said the detox was the easy part. Now it's time to get to work! I crammmed like I was in college when I was doing my 4th step.

I wanted to do my 5th step b 4 I spoke I went home b cuz I wanted a trainned pro addict help me w/ it. LOL!

Im so darn happy for you! Please let me know how you are doing?

Thanks,

Love, Sara

Old 10-28-2004, 03:11 AM   #13

Joesaddiction HB User

Hi Sara, thank you for all the kind words and for the support. I think this is day 11 for me. It feels really great to write day 11 and now I am starting to lose track off the days I am clean. That alone is great. When I was doing oxy's and suboxone I was always looking at the clock and praying I never went into withdrawal. Suboxone was no picnic but I sure that 99% of the people here can do it. I didn't think I could do it, I was scared ****, but to my surpise I did it. I tried twice to detox off of oxy's. I don't think I made it to the 3rd days. It was horrible.

With Love......Joe

Old 10-28-2004, 05:35 AM   #14

edwardsl HB User
Smile Re: Suboxone - WD please help

Hi All

I'm just after some advice really

My family have recently found out that my cousin of 19 has been give subutex to take and is injecting this - i have looked in Subutex and obviously come up with why it is prescribed i'm just concerend as to why he has to inject when it is normally given in tablet form (i'm not sure what dosage he is on)

Can anyone tell me if they know anyone who has injected this before ????

Thanks for you help

Louise

Closed Thread