It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2004, 01:51 PM   #1

Blazer92 HB User
How do I stop?

I read on this board everyday now I have a problem.I have knee problems and I got some vic es from the doc.When those were gone my neighbor knew I was still in pain and offered me so of his.It started out with one or two now it's 10 at a time whenever I ask.I want to quit but just can't seem to.I'm so afraid of getting dependent on them.I take 5 each day when I have them wheather I'm in pain or not.Someone please tell me what to do this is getting out of hand.If I tell this guy no more then he says well all you have to do is ask.So when I start the withdrawls,well,you know the rest.Each time I say no more but I always end up getting more.
Please can anyone tell me what to do??

Old 10-23-2004, 02:26 PM   #2

opiateskill000 HB User
Re: How do I stop?

Blazer, let me try to point something out before I give you advice...

"I want to quit but just can't seem to.I'm so afraid of getting dependent on them.I take 5 each day when I have them wheather I'm in pain or not."

If you can't quit, and you take them without any good reason, you ARE mentally dependent on them. If you get WD's like you said you do, you are also physically dependent on them!

Now, as far as stopping, it's probably best to talk with a doctor, but if this really isn't an option, I can only give you what I think is reasonable advice, having experience with vicodin addiction myself...

1. find a way to cut yourself off from this neighbor, because he/she is making your situation much MUCH worse...I don't know how to do this though. Maybe you could tell him bluntly that you're addicted to pain meds and despite WD you CANNOT have ANY EVER. Maybe you want to threaten him legally and say that what he's doing is illegal (dispensing prescription medication) and you'll have him arrested, I don't really know, it's something you'll have to figure out.

2. "Each time I say no more but I always end up getting more"... is there anyone you know and trust who would listen to your story and be willing to watch over you for a few weeks? I found that cutting myself off from the drug was vitally important. If you have someone willing to do this, give him/her your money, cell phone, drugs, etc.

3. Are you ready to quit? Despite any precautions you take, getting off (and staying off) is not fun for a while...your withdrawal won't be too bad at 5-a-day, but you'll have to get used to not having that automatic warm secure feeling every day...talk to a drug counselor or psychotherapist or go to an NA meeting or something, because it's hard to do by yourself.

4. W/D: if you're going through with it, here's what I'd do while you're getting off the drug: take a daily multi-vitamin, protein shakes/bars, and Ibuprofen (Advil). Have things to keep yourself busy, but don't push yourself to do straining activities (try walking or bicycling if you can, this will boost your endorphins.) Hot baths/showers help a lot too.

good luck, keep postin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2004, 03:03 PM   #3

Blazer92 HB User

Thank you so much!You are so right.And yes I should do everything you said.My neighbor lives actually across from my shop.They are very nice people and not into drugs and he thinks he is helping me out.If he thought for a minute that I was becoming dependent he would pull the plug.My Husband knows I get them too but he has no idea how much I really like them.He would put a halt on me getting anymore.Several years ago I fessed up about being addicted to diet pills.I had been taking them for six months and was up to 6 per day.He helped me through withdrawls and it was the most awful thing I've ever been through.When I go for a while without the vics I feel so good!!And then I'll take a couple and there I go again.I could tell my children,my Husband or anyone in my family and they would help me but the hard part is actually doing it.Thank you for making me see what I should do.
I'll let you know what happens.
b

Old 10-24-2004, 01:43 PM   #4
(female)

RubySlippers HB User

I agree with Opiates on all but 1 thing. Your reply implies that you have a good relationship with your neighbor and they obviously care about you enough to cut you off if they thought you had a problem.

DO NOT threaten them with legal action! How ridiculous that suggestion is. Even if you did resort to that - which is waaaay out of line to get someone else in trouble for something that is your issue/problem - I believe that YOU yourself can be prosecuted for TAKING the meds illegally.

You sound like a reasonable person who's gotten themselves into an addiction problem as it relatively easy thing to do given the right circumstances. Please seek help for yourself but do not cause grief for the neighbors!

Angela

Old 10-24-2004, 04:26 PM   #5

opiateskill000 HB User

lol yeah i guess you're right...i was just trying to find a way to make them realize the seriousness of the issue (especially if they were the type of people to enjoy giving away drugs to people and getting them high.) i guess i wasn't thinking though, because you probably WOULD get in trouble for taking the meds from them...my bad, i was just racking my brain for ways to make them realize that this way of doing things isn't cuttin it...sorry.

Old 10-25-2004, 06:46 AM   #6

Blazer92 HB User

Hey Guys!
It's Monday morning and I just got to my shop.Thanks for all your help.No I wouldn't bring the law into it.They really are very nice people.It's been three days since I've had anything and I am going to try so hard and not think about getting anymore.I know that I have an addictive personality and that makes it even harder to stay away from them.Thanks again for the help!
b

Old 10-25-2004, 09:01 AM   #7
(female)

RubySlippers HB User

Opiates....re read my post and didn't mean to sound soooo rude about your suggestion. I do see your point....you didn't have all the facts when you posted about the relationship with the neighbor....

Anyhow, just wanted to say that I did sound a bit harsh and didn't mean to!

Angela

Old 10-25-2004, 11:36 AM   #8

opiateskill000 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubySlippers
Opiates....re read my post and didn't mean to sound soooo rude about your suggestion. I do see your point....you didn't have all the facts when you posted about the relationship with the neighbor....

Anyhow, just wanted to say that I did sound a bit harsh and didn't mean to!

Angela
Nah you weren't mean, my idea was just silly in retrospect lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazer92
Hey Guys!
It's Monday morning and I just got to my shop.Thanks for all your help.No I wouldn't bring the law into it.They really are very nice people.It's been three days since I've had anything and I am going to try so hard and not think about getting anymore.I know that I have an addictive personality and that makes it even harder to stay away from them.Thanks again for the help!
b
Congrats Blazer, 3 days is a good start. I really don't have a good take on exactly how serious your addiction was at all, but I think that it might be a good idea to talk with a professional about it (but if you think you can say "no more" and end it, more power to you.) Just friendly advice, you know better than I do, but just know that if you slip up, that doesn't mean it can't be done, you just might wanna take more direct action toward fixing the problem. Let us know how things turn out.

Last edited by opiateskill000; 10-25-2004 at 11:37 AM.

Closed Thread