It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2004, 08:27 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Philster2003 HB User
I'm back and still alive

Just got out of the hospital after a weeks stay. Thought I had a heart attack, turned out to be Alateral fibrillation. They shocked my heart back into rhythm after 4 days of trying to get the meds to do the trick. Talk about reassessing your life, boy I thought I was a goner. I'm good they say all though I don't feel near right yet, but I'm on blood thinner and new high blood pressure meds that will also help keep the heart in rhythm. Geez I didn't think I was old, but I sure feel like I am and I thought I was in fairly good shape but I guess it doesn't matter. Oh well I'm still hear on this beloved earth. What a ride

phil

Old 10-24-2004, 08:36 AM   #2
(female)

agentalias HB User
Yea..

So glad to hear that you're OK! My ex-husband at 34 y/o had a heart attack 6 years ago and had 4 angioplastys done. He pretty much freaked out and had to go on meds. He was thin as a rail and he just ate really bad, but he was on a lot of steriods before (a prof body builder 10 years-he ate totally healthy for 10 years though). So that probably contributed to his angina problems. It was pretty scary. You ain't old..just ripened! Its just a warning to live healthier.

Well, Im sure your doctor told you that now you have to exercise, yada, yada, yada... I had to completely change the way I cooked at that time and ate much more healthier after.

Hey at least now you have a life time supply of blood pressure medication!

Take care Phil..You are such a great inspiration here....

Last edited by agentalias; 10-24-2004 at 08:38 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2004, 11:49 AM   #3
Inactive

Twinlynn HB User
Re: I'm back and still alive

Philster!

I had never for a minute considered that you might be ill. :-( I was convinced you were just taking a computer break!! See? This is what happens when you stop worrying!! Ho ho ho!

I am just sooooooo happy that you've come through this okay. (Talk about the "October Surprise"!! LOLOL!) :-) We had a lot of heart stuff on both sides of my family....so, all I can say is give yourself a few more weeks...and I know you'll feel more back to normal and more like "yourself"! It's the shock--and depression--facing a sudden illness that can take a lot out of you. And that can be tougher than the physical part. But you'll soon be "mending." :-) (I'm way into the age where this sort of stuff can happen--and, yes, it's scary! But, that feeling will pass and you'll do fine.) Does your doctor know what started this heart episode? What is your follow-up? Just the meds? Or were to told to lay off any kind of food that makes life worth living!! LOL! :-)

You know, as my father's doctor used to tell my Dad...."it's the lucky ones who get the 'warnings"!! So--you're one of the lucky ones! :-)

And you'll always be a "Spring Chicken" to all of us on the Board....that's the beauty of the Internet--no photos! LOL!!

Well, because I have always been the sort of person who can only face serious things, if I retain my black sense of humor...I'm going to end here with a joke for you.

This cartoon was in an older New Yorker Magazine. It shows family and friends wiping their eyes at the recent gravesite of a loved one. On the tombstone, it says:

"Ate well,
Exercised often,
Kept Fit...
....Died Anyway"

LOL! Hope you don't think that my humor is TOO sick...but that's my way of saying how happy I am that you're safe and sound...and on the road to recovery! Love, Lynn :-)

Old 10-24-2004, 12:14 PM   #4
Veteran

Best Friend HB User

Oooh Phil.....you sure know how to get my attention!! I am SO very sorry that you've been thru such an agonizing experience. Sounds like you and Bill Clinton got 'struck' about the same time. And HE's off campaigning this week! Now, YOU don't have to campaign....so you just take care of yourself and know that we all care so much about you. Lots of healing hugs from NYC!
TwinAlice

Old 10-24-2004, 01:32 PM   #5
(female)

DallasAlice HB User

Hi Phil,

It's always good to see you on the board, but I'm very sorry for the circumstances that surrounded your posting. Can you imagine if you were dealt this heart situation while you were still using?! I think the fact that you ARE still young and in good shape and have been good to yourself and your body by going off the drugs and resuming your exercise (running isn't it?) is part of the reason you were out of the hospital in just a week...what do you think?

I can only begin to imagine the thoughts that were swirling around in your head while you were in the hospital and going thru this--as you said, talk about reassessing your life! Often when things like this happen, a "close-call" if you will, we do reassess our lifestyles and our ways of thinking. In your posts on here, (which is unfortunately all one has to go by in seeing what type of character a person has) you have always come across as an honest, give-it-to-me-straight, caring and empathetic type of man. I think your good Karma has come back to you . For all the sincerity and care you send out to others, I truly believe that all of that good stuff does come back to a person, and you were just dealt a handful.

I am just so glad you were already thru the addiction part of your life when this happened so you didn't have that to deal with also. I'm not saying your addiction is over, as I do understand we are essentially addicts for life, so I'm only eluding to the fact that you're off drugs and don't have the physical withdrawals to contend with. I've always felt that you were one of the good guys, and although bad things do happen to good people, well...you said it best at the closing of your post. I am glad you're here on this earth, too. When I was using the vikes, I paid little or no attention to my health. Now that I am off the vikes and on the meth, I have had a mammogram, a physical, a thorough blood test, and soon is a visit to the dentist and the ophthalmologist as I need new glasses! I have a job with health insurance being offered now, and I am thankful for it every day. In the reassessment of life, nothing is taken for granted anymore...

I don't know if you knew about my one-month job assignment at a local mortuary, but boy oh boy, after seeing the things I saw in that 30 days, I too, reassessed many things, and even my children noticed that I wasn't getting upset or uptight over some of the things that, before this job, might have set me off. I no longer sweat the small stuff, that's for sure. The first and last words I want my children to hear from me every day is "I love you, and I am always here for you, and I will forever be on and by your side." I see folks yelling at their kids at the store or the mall or wherever, the kids are crying, the mom or dad is yelling, the threat of a spanking or a real hit might come, and I'm ready to jump out of my skin! After seeing a 9-yr. old boy be embalmed and prepared to be given back to his family and then to the earth, I want to scream at these people & tell them that there are so many larger, more important things going on that a yelling match and threats of physical abuse over a kid wanting something he can't have is hardly the worst thing that they have to deal with that day. I totally reassessed my priorities and life, and because I've seen a lot of death in my personal life as well as on that job, well...if the worst thing that happens to me in a day is that my boss got mad at me, or someone cut me off in traffic, or I was late to work, or I burnt dinner, or the car got a flat, or I got a run in my pantyhose, or my kids decided to give our cat a bath, or my daughter got grass stains on her new pants, or I still haven't cleaned the bathtub in 3 weeks, well...then I've had a very good and wonderful day indeed !

As Twin Lynn said, I suspect after an incident like this, you will feel a bit out of sorts, or depressed even, and it does take a lot out of you. So please try not to expect too much from your heart and soul right now, and just take care of yourself, and soon I suspect you will be feeling like your "old" self..LOL! You've been through a major thing, and your body and mind need time to adjust. Thank you for sharing with us what happened...you are often thought of and referred to on this board! Keep in touch, okay?

Your pal,

DalAl

Old 10-24-2004, 01:36 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Anti Social HB UserAnti Social HB UserAnti Social HB User

Welcome back and its great to hear youre OK...Take it easy!

Old 10-24-2004, 04:02 PM   #7
(female)

toomany HB User

Hi Phil,

Wow! What a couple of weeks you have had. I'm glad you're home and hope you feel like yourself soon.

Patty

Old 10-24-2004, 04:59 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sarandipity HB User

So glad you are okay. I thought about you "where is Phil." Please please take it easy and know you are in my prayers!

Sincerely,
Sara

Old 10-24-2004, 07:52 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisaaahubb HB User

Hey Phil!!!!
Get well soon!!!
Take at easy and rest.
Let us know how you are feeling...
luv,
LISA

Old 10-25-2004, 04:27 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

windysan HB User

Glad you are back and still alive/kicking. Well, not kicking. Whatever. So glad to see you made it.

Closed Thread