It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2004, 11:45 PM   #1

manalynn_007 HB User
Exclamation ADD Vs. Pot!?!

hello, i'm going tokeep this as simple as possible. i am 25 and have been smoking pot daily for appx.12yrs. i know i was young. heres the problem, i have adlut add., bipolor, and chronic depression. i have used pot as a means of self medicating for the depression and depressive phase(s) of my bipolar. i am now starting to understand how it has negatively affected my add.
i am now to the point of sloth. from my add not being maintained i have lost all my organization,life,social skills. my relationship.....well my whole life is out to lunch so to speak.
i have no clue which to maintain(w/o insurence) my add.....my pot dependcy......any input would be grate. for i am ssssooooo lost.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2004, 12:10 AM   #2

manalynn_007 HB User
Re: ADD Vs. Pot!?!

and please don't tell me to post on the ADD boards b/c i already have about..........ADD. i know it is a complex issue b/c of my issues, but i figured theres at least 1 person out there who has had these same problems. so please help a crazy girl out!?!?!?!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2004, 05:22 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

windysan HB User

I doubt that the pot is doing you much good at all. It's stinky and it is illegal. Many people smoke for "medicinal" reasons but many use sickness as an excuse to get high. I do believe that pot has some medicinal uses but IN MY OPINION I think that the junk causes more harm than good. I know that it helps with appetite/nausea for AIDS and cancer patients. I don' think that it'll help those suffering with chronic athlete's foot.

Old 10-25-2004, 08:26 AM   #4
(male)

wdmoor HB User

I can identify.

One main question to ask yourself...does my life suck?

Second question...am I getting high when I don't want to?

I suspect the answer is yes or you wouldn't be posting.

From bitter experience I know pot is totally habit-forming, and difficult to quit. It may not be addictive in the sense of heroin or other opiates, but for years I couldn't go a day without rolling up, and when I wasn't high, I was thinking about getting high.

I'm also ADD.

Pot gave me an initial feeling of relief from ADD. But heavy pot use leaves us ADD'ers scrambled and defenseless from ourselves. Maybe some people can smoke pot...we can't. It's hard enough to control the ADD, impossible when our minds are stupid with pot.

Check out NA and AA. A lot of us AA'ers had major pot problems. I can't talk about NA from experience. AA has a website and a listing of phone numbers of groups in your area.

It is very hard to cure yourself. And the MD's can only take you so far. NA and AA give you the opportunity to talk to people who have the exact same problem you do (and it's free). It's wonderful to know you aren't alone. And these groups aren't for old people down on their luck. You will be shocked to find how many people your age are in these groups. More than half of my AA group is under 28.

I know you are out to lunch. I was too. ADD sucks and pot makes it worse.

Old 10-25-2004, 09:23 AM   #5

manalynn_007 HB User

thanks for the input!! i have tried local aa and na. only to find that these meetings give an addict more connection to newer drugs to abuse, as well as new people to get high with. i wish this wasn't the case. i live in a rural area. the towns around her offer minimul services to addicts, special needs(ADD consuling). but on the flip side offer volumes of asstience to "those who can afford" to put junior in rehab. it seems that , around here, the people who need help most have no means of recieving any, and the more well off get tons.
the bad get worse and the better get better. thats why i came here.
u know theres a problem with the community on a whole when you have to go online to seek support. thanks for the input, again. manalynn

Closed Thread