It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2004, 09:21 AM   #1
(male)

OxyHater HB User
Immediate Help!

I just found out I need to take a drug test this afternoon! I am NOT supposed to take Lortabs, but have been taken ALOT the last 4 days. I am also supposed to take Oxycontin and ran out I (this is why i took the lortabs). The amount of oxy I get does NOT cover my current pain levels. I just refilled my oxy and took some. How on earth can I pass this drug test? SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!

Old 10-25-2004, 12:33 PM   #2

blindfaith HB User
Re: Immediate Help!

I think the short answer is that if you have been taking hydrocodone for the past four days, and you are only supposed to have oxycodone in your system, it's going to be noticeable since those two substances do show up as seperate things. My best advice, as someone who relapsed recently is to be up front with your doctor, and yourself. If your legit pain issues aren't being dealt with properly, that is a serious issue. however, if you are taking your meds to get an effect like most of us here did/do, then that's a serious matter too. No matter what, being honest with your doctor is never a bad idea. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2004, 09:10 PM   #3

sburch98 HB User
Question Re: Immediate Help!

Oxy, I am really confused here When you posted earlier (12:21) today you said you just found out you had to take a drug test this afternoon. And you are only supposed to be taking Oxy but you had been taking Lortab for the last 4 days because you ran out of the Oxy. And requested help on what to do about the drug test. Then later (1:46) you wrote reguesting help tapering off the Oxy. You stated you had 100 20mg. tabs.!! This tells me that you ran out of Oxy 4 days ago but your post lead me to believe that you had 100 left and wanted to taper off using what you had left to do so!! Pardon me if I missed something here or are you not being "honest" with the board?? Please clarify this so I can understand your situation better. Thank you, S

Old 10-25-2004, 09:19 PM   #4

sburch98 HB User
Lightbulb Re: Immediate Help!

Oxy, Sorry I think I just answered my own question...apparently you had just gotten a refill between you 2 posts. My apology! At any rate you did say that you were taking 180mg. of Oxy/day and that this amount does not cover your pain level! That sure is a lot!! But then again I don't know what kind of pain you are in. Oxy's just scare me!! But like it was suggested in a post (especially taking that much) you definately need to "detox" under the care of a physician. PLEASE!! Detoxing off of that much could kill you if you do it on your own! Plus taking tabs. on top of it!! It is not going to be easy by any means but it will be alot easier on you if you go into treatment and do this under supervision!!

Old 10-26-2004, 03:17 AM   #5

dsny HB User

The drug test will not be able to distinguish which opiate that you are taking.There arent seperate tests for lortab,codiene,oxy's etc.The only one that will come up negative is methadone but it will be positive for meth if that is part of the tests spectrum.Most drug test do not test for meth or sub because it is more expensive then the normal opiate,benzo etc test.

Old 10-26-2004, 05:47 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Sorry dsny but you are wrong in this instance.is this drug test the random one you normally get once in a while at your pain doc?if it is, i can guarentee you that the hydro WILL show up on your test and not only that, it will either say something like large quantity or large amount if you have taken that much Lortab lately.the best advice I can give you in this instance would be to be totally honest with your doc.This particular UA does look for specific drugs.the one that i was given at my pain doc looks for all the usual suspects plus alcohol.If you are seeing a pain doc, you most likely signed a narcotic contract?If you did, you broke it by altering the dosages and by taking a med that you were not supposed to.this does not look good for you.depending on just how strictly they enforce their contracts, you could be looking for a new PM doc.i am so sorry that you have to go through all of this,I really am.I know where you are coming from with the current pain med dosage not working for you.i am there myself and i take the same amount of oxy as you do to treat three seperate pain syndromes caused by a spinal cord surgery.No matter how much i take and how many different meds and modalities I try for good pain control, i can never get my pain levels down past a 7-8 range.Nerve related pain is just horrid and extremely difficult to treat.

I am sorry for what you are going to have to deal with here,things may get a little rough for you after today.i do not know your doc so I really cannot say just what he will do when he finds out about the Lortab.all i can say is honesty in this situation is of the utmost importance as everything narcotic that you have taken WILL show up in the UA.so when you are asked before the test just what you have taken, tell them everything and anything as they will find out.i was really amazed at just how specific this test was at defining each and every narcotic.I really hope things go as well as they possibly can for you under the circumstances.please let us know what happens,K? Marcia

OOPS! just noticed this was dated yesterday,sorry didn't see that til now, i hope all went well for you oxy.

Old 10-26-2004, 06:08 AM   #7

blindfaith HB User

I have to agree with the above post. I take drug tests at least twice a month and all of them include tests that distinguish between oxycodone, hydrocodone, hydromorphone, etc. etc. The only narcotic that wouldn't show up on most tests is fentanyl, because that involves a specialized test that is pretty expensive so it's often left out unless specifically asked for. Same with suboxone, but again, more and more pain management/addictionologists are testing. Granted, Oxyhater didn't specify what the test was for....I would think that if it were a routine employment test that is looking more for "street" drugs they wouldn't pick up the difference between oxy and hyrdro. But it seems from Oxy's other posts that he/she is involved in pain management and is probably getting tested by his/her doctor so the doctor can be sure that the proper medication and dosage is being taken. Often, the concentration of whatever narcotic it is in your system will also give a pretty reliable indicator of how much you took, but that is more arguable.
But sorry, chances are the doctor is doing an opiate panel and oxy and hydro are two different things. I could relate a lot of chemical info about how each substance metabolizes and go through the GC Mass-Spec process, but that would really be boring!

Last edited by blindfaith; 10-26-2004 at 06:09 AM.

Old 10-26-2004, 07:35 AM   #8

dsny HB User

I said that it did check for Lortab(hydro) and Oxy's and all the other opiates in its class.The drugs that are considered maintainence like sub and meth are tested differently.

Old 10-26-2004, 12:58 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

RetiredDirector HB UserRetiredDirector HB User

Hey Ken,
You mentioned earlier they don't test for Meth and Sub because they are so expensive. I don't know about the cost of Sub, but Methadone is very inexpensive. I just read on one of the boards from someone who was detoxing through a clinic. If I remember right, the Sub was about three to four times the cost (of Methadone) each month.

Last edited by RetiredDirector; 10-26-2004 at 01:01 PM.

Old 10-26-2004, 01:48 PM   #10

dsny HB User

The test for Sub is expensive and thats why most dont test for that and the meth test will come back negative for opiates and positive for methadone.

Old 10-27-2004, 04:44 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

dsny,I just reread your post and you stated "the drug test WILL NOT be able to distinguish which opiate you are taking.there aren't seperate tests for Lortab, codeine,oxy's etc."am i wrong?i was just merely pointing out that the particular UA that you are given at a PM clinic DOES indeed distinguish between opiates and specifically states which ones you have recently taken and how much (large or small)the amounts are that are still circulating throughout your body.i always assumed that any type of UA would not be able to seperate the different opiates you have taken, only that there is some sort of narcotic floating around inside you.I was really amazed at how specific this UA really is.Marcia

Closed Thread