HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Addiction & Recovery (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/addiction-recovery/)
-   -   memory loss from drugs or stress?? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/addiction-recovery/219774-memory-loss-drugs-stress.html)

Danielle895 10-26-2004 08:28 PM

memory loss from drugs or stress??

I can't even remember how severe my addictions were. My pshycologist told me it was just stress and not the clasapam causing me to forget. But then again I was smoking pot every day for months, taking anything I could get, coke, xanax, vallium, drinking. I stoped taking the clasapam on my own because I had started taking up to 10 a day, average of 3 a day for 8 months. Coke, I've done over 10 occations in 6 months. Now I think it's mental. I started taking zoloft and I'm thinking and talking way too much. I havent smoked weed in 3 weeks, done coke for 3 months, smoked opium 2 months ago, whipits a month ago, I drank this whole weekend and picked up ciggs again (which I droped yesterday) I ran out of casapam, took a vallium a few days ago. I want to smoke bud so bad or get a soma. I need help but I dont know where to start. Is there a free AA place to go? I don't trust anyone, I barely feel comfortable writting it down. I'm currently taking adderal daily for my ADD however 15mg is starting to have no effect on me. All this started almost a year ago. I dont remember a few months of my life....

blindfaith 10-27-2004 07:57 AM

Re: memory loss from drugs or stress??

Many of the drugs you name can certainly cause memory loss. I know for me personally, when I've been taking benzodiazepines or sleeping pills, even at the prescribed doses, I've found that I can completely "black out" a period of time. I never used to think that the opiates effected my memory, but I'll find myself watching a movie that I "know" I have seen before while I was actively using, and I won't remember it at all. Same things with books, conversations I've had with people....kinda scary! Alcohol can absolutely effect your memory too.
I have no idea what clasapam is....a pill I haven't heard of! So I can't tell you about that one.
Additionally, memory lapses can be a sign of certain psychiatric illnesses ranging from the mild to the severe. So definitely talk to your doctor.
All AA/NA meetings are free and open to anyone. You can look up the hotline number for your area in the phone book and they will be able to direct you to a meeting location. Or you could do an internet search for Alcoholics Anonymous/Narcotics Anonymous in your area and chances are they will have a meeting list online. Once you get to a meeting, raise your hand and explain that you don't know where to go from here. The people there will be well equipped to talk to you after the meeting and direct you to any programs/hospitals in your area.
Good luck!

Danielle895 10-27-2004 08:36 PM

Thanks, I'm still taking some downers, however I really want to be independent of drugs. benzodiazepines have the opposite effect on me than they do on most people, I am so calmed down that I act hyper.
Clonazepam, a generic of Klonopin is what I had the most trouble with. I dont remember how bad my withdrawls were, many times I would suddenly stop taking it for days or weeks. I fell in love with the somewhat minty taste of the pill... However I mostly stoped taking it because my tolerance level is so high. I don't think I can pull myself to go to an AA/NA meeting yet, but I this board seems like a good start

carly500 10-27-2004 10:56 PM

Hi Danielle Don't go off klonopin cold turkey. You could have a seziure or even die! You need a doctor to taper you off it. You were very lucky in the past but don't take another chance like that. This goes for all benzos. Carly

Trivial Rush 11-06-2004 10:01 PM

I agree with Carly500, don't go off benzos cold turkey you can have a seizure, or heart attack and die, this is serious stuff your dealing with. NA is a great place to meet people that are or have gone through the same thing as you and can give you more advice. Best of luck

pearce28 12-02-2004 03:20 PM

Pill cause major memory blackouts. I had taken a bunch of kalotopins for months and a few years later a weird like dream memory came up accept I think it was real. When I thought about it I felt like a big loser and just wanted to forget it again. You sound like you are starting to spin out of controll and there are plenty of meeting and even people who will pick you up in evey area. Call imfo and ask for AA hotline.