It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2004, 11:57 AM   #1

BRC777 HB User
Help: Nicotine addiction destroying health.

Hi, I am new here and I don't know if this is the correct board to place this message , but I am addicted to a substance that is ruining my health.

I use smokeless tobacco. I have used it for ten years. It has really started to take a toll on my mouth. Receding gums, lumps in my check. I am afraid of getting cancer. I see my dentist regularly. And he says everything looks o.k. But there is no judging if or when I will get mouth cancer.

I have tried to stop. I spent alot of money I didn't have on nicotine replacement gum. But I failed. The nicotine in a dip of snuff provides a feeling of calmness. I have tried chewing gum, sucking on pepermint, everything. But with stress I crave that calming feeling a dip provides.

I started when I was 18 and now I am 28. I have went through hundreds and hundreds of cans of somkeless tobacco. I know it is ruining my health and I so desperately want to quit. My Dad has been dipping and chewing for over 30 years and I worry about him to.

Does anyone have any advice for me. I would appreciate anyones, comments, suggestions, or input. THANKS.

BRC

Last edited by BRC777; 10-27-2004 at 11:59 AM.

Old 10-27-2004, 12:07 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

windysan HB User
Re: Help: Nicotine addiction destroying health.

Ouch....asking people with addiction problems about smoking. Hmmm, I smoke. I've quit before using the patch and gum. Since yours is smokeless then try the gum. I think there is a smoking forum on here.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2004, 06:35 AM   #3

BRC777 HB User

Did the patch work.

Old 10-28-2004, 07:29 AM   #4

Christine1984 HB User

WELL I SMOKED FOR 5 YEARS, AND I JUST QUIT COLD TURKEY, 2 YEARS AGO!! AND OCCUPIED MY MIND ELSEWHERE. JOIN A GYM, OR EXCERSISE PROGRAM THAT WILL HELP A LOT. I NEVER THINK ABOUT CIGARETTES AT ALL. IM ACTUALLY ALLERGIC TO THEM NOW!! WHEN EVER SOMEONE SITS NEXTS TO ME AND SMOKES I HAVE TO HOLD MY NOSE, I CANT STAND IT. OR I WALK AWAY FROM THEM!! WHY DONT U TRY BIKE RIDING OR JOGGING!!! OR WALKING OR CLEANING, OR IF YOU HAVE A DOG WALK THE DOG. READ A BOOK. WATCH TV, WATCH THE HEALTH CHANNEL. WATCH GOOD CHANNELS, NOT BAD CHANNELS, THAT WILL PUT NEGATIVE THOUGHTS IN YOUR HEAD. PRAY TO GOD!! HAVE FAITH!! tRY USING LESS AND LESS OF THAT STUF EACH DAY AND SEE HOW IT GOES, REPLACE THAT STUFF WITH BUBBLE GUM, OR FRUIT. THAT WILL WORK. YOU ALWAYS WANT SOMETHING IN YOUR MOUTH, SO CHEW BUBBLE GUM, OR EAT FRUIT, OR DRINK COFFEE, EVEN THOUGH THATS REALLY BAD FOR YOU. HERBAL TEA IS BETTER. BUT TO GET YOU OFF THOSE CANCER KILLING CIGARETTES, I AM TELLING YOU THE MOST HEALTHIEST REMEDIES, THAN DYING OF CANCER. MY UNCLE HAS LUNG CANCER FROM SMOKING CIGARETTES AND CIGARS. SICK SICK!!! I HOPE YOU WILL TAKE MY ADVICE.!!! **** LUCK!! I HOPE YOU WILL BE CLEAN!!! KEEP ME POSTED!! YOUR FRIEND CHRISTINA

Old 06-25-2005, 04:49 PM   #5
(female)

brita HB User

JUST KEEP TRYING! The more you stop and quit the easier it gets. Eventually you will be able to stop for good.

Old 06-27-2005, 07:17 PM   #6
(male)

Vanguard HB User

It's funny how you touched on my pet peeve: people who say that they are clean for X amount of time but can't wait until the end of the meeting to light that cig.

I'm glad that you see the adverse effects of nicotine and you're willing to do something about it. See Christine1984's advice above. I believe there is such organization as Nicotine Anonymous. Read books on addiction ie Stanton Peele's books.

Closed Thread