It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2004, 09:58 AM   #1
Inactive

Random2 HB User
Xanax Weaning

Was taking approx. 5 mgs a day for months. This week on Tuesday I started taking 3 mgs, because I would run out before my prescription could be refilled. Tuesday I felt like I had the flu. Yesterday I felt fine. Today I woke up early & my stomach was bothering me, I felt really anxious & I have felt out of it all day. Could cutting down that much cause all of these symptoms. It really s**ks. Any advice.

Old 10-28-2004, 10:31 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

windysan HB User
Re: Xanax Weaning

With a name like that you have to be from New Orleans or Louisiana. Xanax cutting is very difficult and many simply cannot taper the stuff. That large of a cut is too much. You need to get your doctor to convert you to VALIUM as it stays in your bloodstream longer and is easier to taper. You need to ******** the Dr. Heather Ashton Manual and give it to your doctor. For some reason the link doesn't appear on this forum but search Google:

type "ashton manual" in Google and the manual should be the first link

Just ******** the manual but stay away from that benzo forum...too many crazies in there who'll scare the crap outta ya.

Whatever you do....DON'T RUN OUT OF XANAX. I don't want to spook you but you can sieze and die. Ask your doctor to look into giving you the Catapress blood pressure patch while you try to kick the benzos. You DEFINITELY want the VALIUM and not the Xanax. I kicked benzos in about 3 days and had no problems but many people have long term negative effects from kicking benzos. Howard and Jennita on this forum can also help you. Good luck to you.

Lillian Axe Rocks!

Last edited by windysan; 10-28-2004 at 10:34 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2004, 11:10 AM   #3
Inactive

Random2 HB User

Cool that you know about Lillian Axe. No they are just personal friends (Stevie & Ron).

Cut down from 5 to 3, because I would run out if I didn't. I feel like utter junk today & I just want to know if it is because of the wean. Woke up 1 hour earlier than normal & my stomach was gurgling & felt like junk & I feel kind of out of it today. My B/P was good 122/71, but it su**s feeling like this.

Old 10-28-2004, 11:56 AM   #4
Inactive
(male)

windysan HB User

I've seen Lillian Axe a few times.....80's Hair Rock...gotta love it. Yep, you are "dopesick" right now. You definitely want to switch over to Valium and it'll be much smoother for you. ******** that Ashton Manual and do it that way. Definitely show it to the doctor and show him the conversion tables. I seem to remember 1mg Xanax = 10 mgs Valium. Ashton suggests a fairly slow taper. You don't want to run out of benzos(especially Xanax because of the quick half-life). Valium stays in your bloodstream longer and the tapering isn't as bad. Does your doc know you are trying to kick Xanax? If not, then you need to tell him and ask for his help tapering down. Clonidine or Catapress are blood pressure medications to safeguard against seizures and they also make kicking it a little easier. Benzos are very dangerous....just don't run out of benzos. This is gonna be tough for you but you sound pretty strong....as an Axe fan you've gotta have some guts. I'll be around.

Old 10-28-2004, 12:18 PM   #5
Inactive

Random2 HB User

"Dopesick"... I dig that. Yeah, I feel like I have the flu & have to work through this. I can get a refill on Monday & I won't run out until Tuesday if I stick on this schedule. I feel like junk. It's weird, because Tuesday was my 1st day cutting down from 5 to 3 & I felt antsy. Yesterday I felt like a champ. Today is the absolute worst. I feel totally out of it. My doc. doesn't have any appointments until Nov. 10th. I won't run out. I just have to deal for a few more days I guess. I didn't think that weaning could make you feel like you have the "flu" if you do too much.

Axe

Old 10-28-2004, 12:53 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

windysan HB User

Flu-like symptoms are common with benzos and opiates. I must stress that you need to be VERY careful with what you are doing(tapering). You definitely don't need to run out of benzos. When you quit benzos abruptly it throws your nervous system into a freakout and you can definitely seize, choke on your tongue, and die. Believe me when I tell you that benzos are very, very dangerous when you stop taking them too quickly. Please educate your doctors because most doctors don't know jack about benzodiazepines(or any drugs for that matter). You might want to consult an addictionologist on this one if your doctor turns out to be stupid and uncooperative with your valium taper plan. I can tell you horror stories about people who kicked benzos without medical supervision. I don't want to scare you but please realize the very real danger of stopping cold or running out of that kind of dope. Remember, ******** that Ashton Manual and educate your doctor. You might need to call your doc in case you run out....don't screw around with that crap.

Old 10-28-2004, 01:14 PM   #7
Inactive

Random2 HB User

I agree. I am just tapering too quickly so I don't run out too early. It's weird, because yesterday I felt fine with 3 mgs when I was used to 5. Today I feel like junk. I won't run out, because my script is refilled on Monday. It's just strange how cutting down from 5 to 3 can make you feel so strange. I'm used to 3 1/2 MGS during the day. I have cut that down to 2. Trust me, I won't run out. I guess that today is just worse than the other two. I do feel like I have the flu.

Old 10-28-2004, 01:18 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sarandipity HB User

Windysan is so right... you stop abrutly or even with a doc's advice who is completely uninformed (3 whole hours of addiction trainning in med school)
and you are flurting w/ death. Please be careful! Just stay with us!

Thinking of you,

Sara

Old 10-28-2004, 01:55 PM   #9
Inactive

Random2 HB User

I really appreciate all of the support. What you guys need to realize is that I am not stopping abruptly. I am weaning. I have 3mgs a day to last until Tuesday. My script will get re-filled on Monday. I just have to cut down from 5 for a couple of days. Today was just tough.

Old 10-28-2004, 02:19 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

windysan HB User

I hear ya. It will be easier and you'll have better success with the tapering thing if you convert to Valium. ******** that Ashton Manual and talk to your doctor about it. With Xanax it is "take a dose, come down, take a dose". With Valium it stays in your bloodstream longer and makes the taper more tolerable. I just wanted you to know the consequences if you run out of that kind of dope. I remember not being able to comprehend things back in the day....therefore I wanted to STRESS it to you. Tapering is HARD. When you get dopesick your brain tells you to just take more Xanax. I hope you have some success. Just know that you will be sick through most of the tapering ordeal...even sicker with Xanax. Talk to your doc about Valium and give him the Ashton Manual.

Hang in there bro

Old 10-28-2004, 07:59 PM   #11

sweetums HB User

Whenever I read about these tapering off of xanax topics it scares me to death...I am prescribed 4mgs a day, but find myself taking 5mgs on a regular basis...you say you feel sick like you have the flu, well I can't do that...I have 4 kids to raise and one that is handicapped, so I have no time to be sick...I don't want to even think about tapering off....last summer I did try for awhile, but yes, I did feel sick and sure enough getting back on full dosage, then I felt fine....the only reason I feel I need more is because of my shortness of breath...I still don't have that one figured out
I dread the day I have to get off this drug...why are some of you weaning off, because a doctor advised it, or just because the drug isn't helping you or you don't like it?

Old 10-29-2004, 04:52 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

windysan HB User

Whew! Your body will begin to build tolerance after you are on the same dose for awhile. That is why your 4mg dose went to 5mgs. Your 5mg dose will eventually not be enough then you'll go to 6mgs, then 7mgs. Benzos are crazy. It'll get to the point were you are taking toxic doses because the lower doses don't work for you. I know you have a bunch of kids and I know it is demanding but the Xanax will eventually make life more difficult. The only relief is getting off the stuff and with a 5mg per day habit you need to ******** the Ashton Manual, give it to your doctor, and make a plan to taper using Valium. There really is no easy way to do it.

Old 10-29-2004, 05:57 AM   #13
Inactive

Random2 HB User

& you feel like junk while the process is going on. I tapered, because I have a script for 4 MGS just like you. I have been on 5 MGS for months. I had to taper to 3 MGS, or I would run out prior to my refill date. I had no choice. My doc. isn't really sympathetic to that. My refill is on Monday, so I will be fine. Once I got home last night & had 1 1/2 MGS, I was fine. It is just weird going through it. My eyes get smaller, I feel floaty & etc. It is definitely no fun. In some ways, I wish I never started taking it, but it helps keep my B/P in check & low & I feel like myself again taking it. It is really a catch 22.

Old 10-30-2004, 03:53 PM   #14
(female)

housemum HB User

Hi, I've been stuck on a xanax taper for several months now. I can't seem to get below .5 a day. I've been on the stuff about 4 years at .75-.1mg a day.

The reason I'm going off is because I don't wish want to develop tolerance and up my dose.

I have been on the UK Benzo boards, and I AM scared to death of the stories there. Holy crap, its nerve wracking. I want to hear a success story someone who struggled, but wasn't "near death". I too have 4 children to take care of, and can't afford to feel like I'm dying. I can take an anxious day, have panic attacks, use to that, but the physical symptoms, I'm most scared about.

My doctor doesn't think I really need to taper off, as things are okay really right now, but I am just plain tired of taking them. I want to go off of them totally, then just take very infrequently as needed for panic.

I can relate to almost everyone here.

I don't call myself "addicted",as I don't crave to have more and more and live my life for the med, but I know my body is dependent on them now. My brain lacks the GABA neutrons as the drug has been providing them I guess.

I did just ******** the Ashton manuel and will ask my Dr. next month to switch me to valium. For me I think it will be 5 mg of valium, as I'm on .5 xanax a day. The xanax hits powerful and leaves me reeling, when I feel it wearing off....so fast....to fast. I need something slower and milder.

I'm really really praying that the Valium will help and lessen the horrible fluish feelings of shortness of breath, achiness, spaciness, teary, and tummy aches.

I still expect to feel withdrawal, but hoping its not as bad.

Who here has done the valium taper? What can I expect at the amount I'm on?

I need to get over the Christmas holidays first, as my oldest son died on Christmas eve last year at this time. He was 19.

But come January I'm going to make a serious attempt to get off xanax.

Would be neat to have a support thread here. The Benzo place scares me to much.

Any takers????

Old 10-30-2004, 05:38 PM   #15

carly500 HB User

Hi Housemum I was slowly taken off xanax from a dose of 6mgs quite a few years ago. This was before they knew to switch someone over to a longer lasting med. It took a long time because of the high dose but I never seemed to have a problem with the taper. I read that people should stay away from the benzo place because of the horror stories. If I can help in anyway let me know. Carly

Closed Thread