It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2004, 06:32 AM   #1
(male)

murphy65 HB User
To fisherman and octomon

I started my subxone yesterday. My doc had me start with 4mg first dose amd then another 4mg 2 hrs later and that was it for the first day. Today He wants me to take 8 mg and then 6 hrs later tak another 8 mg and then thats it for today. I had some mild wd,s last night he also gave me some clonidine. I got up at 6 am and took my 8mg dose put it undeer my tongue went back to bed and fell asleep. Right now I feel kind of crappy mostly just sick to my stomach and tired. My question is am i still feelin wd symptoms and is there anyway to take this stuff and not have it taste like ****. I guess in a few days I will be where I take my full dose(24 or 32mg) all at once in the morning. i cant imagine hoe bad that will taste. Is there anyway to make them noy taste so bad

Old 10-29-2004, 07:44 AM   #2
(female)

agentalias HB User
Re: To fisherman and octomon

Hi Murphy 65

I'm not fisherman or octomon, but I'll try to help. I've taken Subutex and tapered offed successfully. I was at 35+ hydros a day and decided I wanted off that roller coaster. I've helped Fisherman in the past and 'll try to help you also.

I wonder why your doctor wouldn't allow you to take the full dose immediately and take your full dose later? Are you detoxing off hydros or is this for chronic pain?

Sublingual (under the tongue) tablets can taste bad because you're basically sucking on it. Why not try having some candy so the bad taste goes away?

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2004, 09:12 AM   #3
(male)

murphy65 HB User

Hey Agentalias,
Thanks for responding. I am on the sub for hydro detox and for chronic pain. I was kind of confused on how he was prescribing this but I didn't want to rock the boat by questioning him. I am supposed to see him on Monday and until then He has me taking them every 6 hrs but I can only take one more today( I took one at 6:00 a.m.) for a total of 2 today. Then tomorrow 1 ev. 6hrs for a total of 3. Then Sun. 1 every 6 hrs for a total of 4. Can you tell me about your experience with suboxone. I am very interested in hearing how this as worked for different people. I don't plan on going off of it for a long time if everything goes well with it. Thanks again

Old 10-29-2004, 09:34 AM   #4

blindfaith HB User

Hi Murphy,
I have been started on suboxone twice now. The first time was for detox purposes, and although I wanted to stay on it for maintanence, the doctor said no. So I ended up relapsing and then 6 months later found a doctor who would put me on it for maintanence. The first doctor had me on a schedule of taking a certain number of mgs in the morning, then again in the evening everyday, slowly tapering down.
When I went on it for maintenence, the doctor had me spend like 3 hours at his office. he started me off with 2 mg....had me wait, asked how i felt, then up to 4...same drill, finally up to 6 mg. We stuck with 6 mg for awhile until I felt like I was still having cravings, so then we went up to 8mg. But I only take it once a day.

I don't think there's anything wrong with asking your doctor why he is having you take the medication that way. After all, its your body and your money, you have a right to ask questions!

About the taste....I was actually going to bring that up on this forum myself! Doesn't it taste awful! I have to break my 8 mg pills in half and take them one at a time, with about an hour in between because I can't stand the taste. I often gag, and a couple of times have vomited due to the taste. Unfortunately, from what my doctor says, you can't take it while sucking on a candy or drinking a soda, because that can mess up the medication. He told me to make sure in fact that I haven't eaten or drank anything for at least 10 minutes before i take the suboxone, and after. Something to do with the ph of the mouth, and ensuring proper disolution of the pill. Because it has to dissolve completely...swallowing any of it will render it useles. I had a hard time learning how to take those little suckers. It seems stupid...letting a pill dissolve under your tongue doesn't seem all that tricky, but especially with the taste, learning how to take suboxone properly is a test!

Anyone else out there find the taste unbearable? I actually asked my doctor about that and he encouraged me to call the company and tell them. I thought that sounded silly and nit-picking, but he said that they are business people and want to please their customers. And after all, we do pay a lot to get this medication! Between doctor visits and prescriptions, it is NOT cheap. Especially if your insurance doesn't cover it, I think it costs around $4 a pill. I haven't called, because again I felt a little stupid, but maybe all of us on this board who feel that way could call....or sign something to send to them letting them know that this is a real problem. You'd think it would be fairly easy to put some flavoring on them!

So what do you fellow suboxone users think?

Sorry to get off-track...bottom line is that you have made a great decision. If you are still having withdrawal symptoms, definitely talk to your doctor because you may need a higher dose. It can also take some time for your body to adjust to the suboxone. I know that when I first started taking it, I didn't like it because I felt nauseus and had a low-grade constant headache. I also tended to feel "revved-up", a weird sort of buzzing energy that was by no means pleasant. But they did subside and it was/is much better than going through cold turkey withdrawals.

Keep us posted!

Old 10-29-2004, 10:12 AM   #5
(male)

murphy65 HB User

Thanks blindfaith for your post. Every little bit I learn about this makes me feel better. It also makes me feel better knowing from somone with experience that I made the right decision to go on the sub. Any more info you can give me would br great.

Old 10-29-2004, 10:24 AM   #6

Baseball65 HB User
Hey Murph!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy65
My doc had me start with 4mg first dose amd then another 4mg 2 hrs later and that was it for the first day. Today He wants me to take 8 mg and then 6 hrs later tak another 8 mg and then thats it for today. I had some mild wd,s last night he also gave me some clonidine. I got up at 6 am and took my 8mg dose put it undeer my tongue went back to bed and fell asleep. Right now I feel kind of crappy mostly just sick to my stomach and tired. My question is am i still feelin wd symptoms and is there anyway to take this stuff and not have it taste like ****. I guess in a few days I will be where I take my full dose(24 or 32mg) all at once in the morning.

Hey Buddy..what up??
If you read my string I just started,my MD went the other way completely...so I guess there are multiple ways of getting us stabilized.My doc actually wrote me a 10 day scrip even though I go back in 7,just in case I needed to go up from the 20mgs to 24(3 pills).After yesterday,I can't imagine that,but then again,I'm not the doc....nor his first patient,so I imagine he knows what he's doing.
YES.we are still going thru WD's,they are just being masked by the sub.

Also..are you on subuTEX or subOXONE...My MD said he stopped using Suboxone too early,as sometimes with heavy or long time addicts(I'm a long time,but not as heavy as others)..they are both good,and the instance is rare,but sometimes said the subOXONE might actually agitate WD symptoms if ALL the Narcotic isn't completely out of your system.

I was feeling a bit like you're describing this AM,but the clonidine and the xanax took away some of the yucch...

I've been addicted for 5plus years,,,,,,and now the little kid in me is mad that I'm not at a track meet 3 days into sub!! (LOL!!)
I'm just gonna' chill and read a book.The world will be fine without my participation today,but If I kept going how I was,I wasn't ever gonna' participate.

Hang in there Bro...
POST all day....I'll keep checking on ya'
---baseball

P.S. The flavor isn't great,but neither was the vomit from the hydros(lol).....i've been chewing my narcs for the last 2 years and sucking them sublingually,so I had a little practice at tasting bad flavors.....as you begin to feel better,you'll resnt the taste less and less.

Last edited by Baseball65; 10-29-2004 at 10:28 AM.

Old 10-29-2004, 12:59 PM   #7

Pill Diva HB User

Ok, I guess I am one of the few, if any but I happen to love the taste...LOL I know that must seem awfully strange to those of you who can't stand stand it but I have liked it ever since the first one I popped under my tongue. I've been on 24mgs. since June and never once complained about the taste. I had a friend of mine one time who was in the middle of w/d's beg me for one of my suboxone to help her thru the day....so I gave in and handed her one....I was in disbelief watching her gag and almost puke while sucking on it. I thought she was one of the rare cases but I now see that I am...LOL Anyway, maybe I enjoy the taste so much because I know just what a lifesaver these pills have been for me, who knows?....Anyway, good luck to all of you....

Old 10-29-2004, 01:07 PM   #8
(male)

murphy65 HB User

Hey baseball,
So do you think this is going to work for us. I can't understand the way my doc is dosing me. I was having some pretty bad wd's last night but the doc said to only take 8 mg yesterday which I took the last 4mg at about 2:00 pm. I am sure he explained it too me in his office but i was feeling pretty bad and most of what he said I forgot. Most of what i have read is to take the full dose all at once. I am only supposed to take 16mg today and i took the last 8mg at noon. I think if I start feeling bad again tonight I am going to take a half of one. How are you feeling now? I am starting to feel pretty crappy. I hope I feel better tomorrow. Let me know how its going

Old 10-29-2004, 01:50 PM   #9

Baseball65 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy65
Hey baseball,
So do you think this is going to work for us. I can't understand the way my doc is dosing me. I was having some pretty bad wd's last night but the doc said to only take 8 mg yesterday which I took the last 4mg at about 2:00 pm. I am sure he explained it too me in his office but i was feeling pretty bad and most of what he said I forgot. Most of what i have read is to take the full dose all at once. I am only supposed to take 16mg today and i took the last 8mg at noon. I think if I start feeling bad again tonight I am going to take a half of one. How are you feeling now? I am starting to feel pretty crappy. I hope I feel better tomorrow. Let me know how its going

Uh...I'd try to stick to the MDs advice if I were you..Can't you get a call into him? Mine told me to call him if I started to have cravings or freak out.Did your doc give you a benzo(xanax valium librium ativan klonopin) or a sleeping med???? the benzos take away that feeling of impending doom,tension,etc.

Also,,, remember,I am on SubuTEX not suBOXONE.Same stuff(buprenorphine) but yours has Naloxone in it.Your MD might be trying to introduce the Naloxone to your system slowly.My doc seemed to think that the naloxone had some similar properties to Naltrexone...an opiate blocker that can cause seizures and WD symptoms in people who still have any opiate residue in their system.

When I detoxed the last time they did it the way you are and I felt good around the third day.I believe you are one day behind me,and I started to freak out just about the middle of the day yesterday.I called the doc and he reminded me that the sub was having a little battle with the opiates for control of the receptors in your brain(sounds like a sci-fi movie,huh?)
I feel fine so far,except for that potential panic attack I extinguished with xanax this AM.

Definitely get a call in to your doc...the whole point of this stuff is to ease you off....remember too,no matter how cruddy you feel,it would be waaaaay worse without the sub.I expect by tomorrow you'll be way better,but keep posting and keep me informed.

---Baseball

Old 10-30-2004, 08:29 AM   #10
(female)

agentalias HB User

Strange..different strokes for different folks , I guess. I went to see an addicitionologist in Hollywood, CA and trust me he sees addicts by the truckloads. He instructed me to take my full doses until I didn't feel any WDs. You shouldn't feel WDs because they were created for detox. He monitored his patients fairly well by calling on them day and night. He did instruct me to up my dosage until I didn't feel any WDs then stabilized there.

For chronic pain, I guess you wouldn't want to take that much since a little goes a long way with Sub (24-36 hours long acting opiate).

You gotta remember that these PsychMDs really only go through something like 2-3 days of training for Sub. I would call your doctor and ask him why he is prescribing it that way. You did pay him and you are his patient.

I was on Sub for a few months but wanted to get off all opiates. After a while, the Sub made me feel weird, I really can't explain it intelligiently. I wasn't successful getting off Sub and relapsed a couple of times while on it. I did finally taper and am totally opiate free now. Its been over 4 months now. LIfe is great without opiates! It takes every ounce of energy in the beginning to not relapse. You have to be mentally prepared to get off. But it can be done.

Good luck.

Closed Thread