It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2004, 12:48 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User
Are there any non addictive anti anxiety drugs?

I have high blood pressure and frequently experience unexplained bp spikes with rapid heartrate. I think these events _cause_ my anxiety, not the other way around. My doctor wants me to think about trying an anti anxiety med for a bit to see what happens with my bp.

I'm not real keen on taking more drugs than I have to, especially ones which are addictive.

So are there any anti anxiety drugs out there that are not addictive?

Old 11-05-2004, 12:58 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

windysan HB User
Re: Are there any non addictive anti anxiety drugs?

Not that I know of.....tried everything here. Group therapy, yoga, exercise....anything but benzodiazepines.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2004, 12:58 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sarandipity HB User

Gosh, there are none that I know of. If I needed something to try and calm me down I would try meditation and prayer. If I still could not get my heartrate to slow down, I would make an appt w/ a contemporary med doctor, such as an internal med doc who specializes in addiction. A reg doc will not know if something is addicting or not.

Goodluck and Im glad you asked about this! Better to ask now then when it's too late.

Sara

Old 11-05-2004, 07:52 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Ellnyc HB User

Hi!
You may want to ask you doctor about Buspar/ (generic-Buspirone HLC). Since I am in recovery and have a very healthy fear of readdiction, my doctor prescribed this for me a few years back for anxiety. I believe in higher doses it is usually prescribed as an antidepressant, but in low doses it really helped me with anxiety. I had no problem discontinuing when it was time and if I am extremely anxious from time to time ... occasional panic attacks especially when I am in a car it really takes the edge off. Please check with your doctor to see what he thinks. Please, stay away from the benzos, they can really "grab" you. I had to go to rehab to get off xanax ... that was 16 years ago!
Hope this helps.

Old 11-07-2004, 10:14 AM   #5

sillyfrk14 HB User

I had a friend who cold turkey'd xanax...against my advice. But she was abusing them for a couple of months. Bars morning noon and night. She took melatonin to calm her, rescue remedy (herbal stuff) and Omega 3 (its fish oils) this stuff is supposed to get your chemical levels back to where they are supposed to be. In a week she was fine. But the Omega 3 was recommended to her by a former heroin addict who used it for his detox. Thats all the herbal stuff I've heard.

Closed Thread