It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2005, 11:42 AM   #1
(male)

Mike_NY HB User
sleep patterns post opiate withdrawal

Just wondering on how long it took some people to get back to normal sleep patterns after kicking hydro.

I've been having a hard time getting to sleep in my 11 (!!) days off of them. Not tossing and turning just not drifting off for like two hours. I don't just lay there I lay down for a bit then get up and walk around or come check the board then give it another go. Been getting about 5-6 hours the past couple of days. Not horrible but it seems like as soon as I am in zzzzz land it's time to get up and I can't get out from under the covers!

I'm really looking forward to my pre pill days when i could just lay down and fall asleep just like that!

Mike

Last edited by Mike_NY; 01-26-2005 at 11:45 AM. Reason: awkward syntax

Old 01-26-2005, 12:13 PM   #2
(male)

Proward HB User
Re: sleep patterns post opiate withdrawal

I quit an Oxycontin addiciton cold turkey after a 1 1/2 year affair with the drug. I was doing 20mgs daily and doing about 40mgs on both a Sat. and then again on a Sunday, for most of the time. Then, about the last 2 months before I quit, I was doing 80mgs to 120mgs daily and the same on weekends.

I sniffed 2 - 20mgs Oxy tablets on Sunday 1/2/05 at around 5:00pm and then quit. That Monday night, 1/3/05, was hell, no sleep and very, very bad withdrawls (the restless arms were the worst).

Tuesday night, 1/4/05, got a little better. Slept a little bit.

Wednesday was better yet and Thursday was better than that.

I think I started sleeping and dreaming again by that Thursday, 1/6/06 or Friday, 1/7/05. The dreams are important. Opiats block your ability to dream or to enter Rem and/or Alpha sleep. If you start dreaming after quitting an opiate addiction, that means you are hitting those stages of sleep, you are pretty close to having the opiates out of your system.

Hang in there. You should start sleeping better and batter every night. Every hour clean is one step closer to being who you used to be.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2005, 01:52 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

windysan HB User

A few weekds and it'll come back. Don't look at a clock. Try to go to bed at the same time every night. You can't die from insomnia but you can die from opiates...remember that.

Old 01-26-2005, 07:05 PM   #4
(male)

Guitar Lover HB User

Proward,

You did not have that much of a habit. I guess if you think you are addicted then you are but I and many others have a real habit 400 to 800 mg of OC per day. You are lucky and your widthdrawal was so easy because of your light habit. Yes a ball and chain but a minimial habit. You shouldn't be so proud just lucky. You stated 20 to 60mg a day you are lucky. Be happy you don't know what a habit is.

Old 01-26-2005, 07:17 PM   #5
(male)

Guitar Lover HB User

Mike'

I should have spoken to you first. It will only get better after about 10 days of stopping a real habit you will feel much better. You begin to sleep better and every day gets better and better. Opiate withdrawlal is a thing that gets better and better after about five or six days if you have a bad ( 300 or 600) mg if you have less then you are better. Its better sooner if you have a minor habit. Minor is a painfull trip too just not as bad as a junkie habit like I had. You will get better and better as time goes by depending on your habit.

Old 01-26-2005, 07:23 PM   #6
(male)

Mike_NY HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Lover
Proward,

You did not have that much of a habit. I guess if you think you are addicted then you are but I and many others have a real habit 400 to 800 mg of OC per day. You are lucky and your widthdrawal was so easy because of your light habit. Yes a ball and chain but a minimial habit. You shouldn't be so proud just lucky. You stated 20 to 60mg a day you are lucky. Be happy you don't know what a habit is.
It's just coincidence that I am replying minutes after your post Guitar..just happened to check on.

I have to say that I am flabbergasted by this post of yours!

Well I guess I am lucky that I had the presence of mind to get off the train before I reached the depths of insanity as you did.

You better believe I am proud of kicking that crap to the curb for 11 days. It was controling my life; all I cared about was my next pill, and how many I had left.

It matters not how much I was taking or how often. Nonsense!

I've been using substances for 20 years until I had the courage to admit I was an addict on Jan. 16th 2005. Not that I have to justify this to feel a part of the big boys club of a "real habit".This past 11 days has been the biggest challenge of my life and here you are minimizing it.

If I am taking this the wrong way I appologize..you just got me riled up that's all.

Regards,

Mike

---------

OOPS on my part. I am very embarrassed for lashing out when the post in question wasn't directed at me. My sentiment remains though so I'll keep it as it is and just add this post script acknowledging that I scanned the thread incorrectly.

Mike

Last edited by Mike_NY; 01-26-2005 at 07:31 PM. Reason: P.S

Old 01-26-2005, 07:29 PM   #7
(male)

Guitar Lover HB User

mike.

I was talking about Prowards habit not yours please re read

Old 01-26-2005, 07:34 PM   #8
(male)

Mike_NY HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Lover
mike.

I was talking about Prowards habit not yours please re read
Gotchya. Sorry. See edit to above post.

Mike

Old 01-26-2005, 07:48 PM   #9
(male)

Guitar Lover HB User

I would hug all if I could. I feel bad for dismissing Proward's addiction but I read and reread all of Proward's posts. There is a difference of pain depending on what you are taking. Proward suffered and hurt. I don't want to disreard Proward's pain but it was minimal compared to most of us. I does matter what you are taking and the mg sorry if you don't agree.

Old 01-27-2005, 02:08 AM   #10

ElizabethLost HB User
withdrawal

Hey everyone.

I think withdrawal symptoms, especially opiates, affects everyone different.

I just got out of the hospital after trying to kill myself twice. Coincidance was, I had run out of hydrocodone and oxycodone and was unable to get anymore from the dealer. I was also getting the pills off the internet. Like most, I became addicted indirectly. I had major pain caused by my wisdom teeth. After that first bottle, I was totally hooked.

Anyway, I was taking about 40-50 mg per day. Not a huge habit, but holy $h!t, the withdrawal symtoms were HELL, pure HELL. I was on the fourth floor of the hospital, partly due to this, the other part was b/c of my ongoing depression. those damn pills didn't help, that's for sure. I thought they were helping my depression but nope, they were actually hurting it.

The MD gave my thorazine, elivail and valium to ease the WD. Tonight was the first night I was able to fall asleep easily without those horrid muscle spasms and panic attacks. I think the valium has helped the most. Yeah, it's another drug to help me get off a drug, but still, it's helped TREMENDOUSLY.

Good luck to all struggling w/ this. I feel your pain. I really do. I want to use again but I can't, I just can't. I can't go through this again, no way.

Love,
Elizabeth

Old 01-27-2005, 04:06 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisaaahubb HB User

Hey Mike, unfortunately, the sleeping patterns are the last to be restored. It took me close to a month. The first few weeks, i would sleep like one full night. The rest of the nights were one hour here, 20 minutes there, and it really was hard on me cuz i have to get up with my 3 yr old in the morning, and it seems like morning is when i finally COULD"VE gotten some sleep. Naps seem pretty toxic to me as well as caffeine after 4 p.m......
Have you tried tylenol p.m.....it works for some. I use xanax at night and i STILL couldn't sleep. Are you getting any exercise thru-out the day? The more i did in a day the better chance i had of getting more than 2 hours of sleep. O.k. Mike, i hope you have a good Thursday.....hang in there.
luv,
LISA

Old 05-10-2005, 07:23 AM   #12
(male)

Proward HB User

Well, its the first time I have checked in on this board in quite some time. I hadn't read what Guitar Lover wrote about what I was going through and how dismissive the post was regarding my 'insignificant' habit. But, the CT withdrawl symptoms were real and I was a wreck. I can only sympathize for those that have a hugh habit.

I'm not mad or anything. My habit was light comparatively. I'm now almost 27 hours into another CT withdrawl after several months of constant use again, maybe 80 mg daily. Still, not as much as most but I could sure feel it last night. The restless arms, especially the right arm, got me the most.

I am at work and feeling like crap. Tingly legs, head is foggy, weak and lethargic, unmotivated. Hope tonight will be better. We'll see.

P

Old 05-10-2005, 08:52 AM   #13
(male)

JCS HB User

it took me about 30 days to get a good night sleep ...............I sleep good now......I do have some strange dreams.............and alot of time they are about finding some percocet and taking them.........in the dream I never get a buzz off of them....and I wake up so glad it was a dream..........I am 150 days clean today
GOOD LUCK
JCS

Old 05-12-2005, 09:17 AM   #14
(male)

mrgrateful HB User

Mike, I can relate, (see my other post) even when I do sleep its not a real deep sleep kind of like a 3/4 sleep, I have had some good nights, its 21 days off of the sub now and I can kind of feel it getting back to normal.....instead of bad night after bad night its 3 good and 2 bad......so maybe now I'll have 4 good 1 bad I'm hoping anyway..JT

Closed Thread