It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2005, 05:34 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

BH2004 HB User
No One Believes Ultracet Causes Heart Palpitations!!!

It is really frustrating living through this because none of the "professionals" I go to see will admit that Ultracet was the cause of my palpitations. The cardiologist still states that my heart is normal and wants to put me on a beta blocker. I went also to the GP who had no theory of what was happening besides the fact I was having anxiety. The addictions counselor I went to see believes that initially when I quit the Ultracet I went through a withdrawal but she cannot figure out why I still have heart palpitations. She says since I only took the drug for 5 weeks that I should not be experiencing such problems. I told her that the drug gave me a euphoric feeling and that some days I did take more if not double what was prescribed. She is clueless. At this point, I cannot even tell if it is getting better or not. If it is, its going really slow. I go to the gym in the evening and swim for. 30 minutes and the palpitations go away until the next morning. When they go away after I swim, I have this serious anxious feelings still but without the palpitations. Over the last 5 weeks, (That is how long its been since I stopped taking ultracet) I have noticed the anxious feeling decline a little bit and that the palpitations are as frequent but maybe not as strong when it happens. What is the most concerning is how often they happen. I mean its like300 or 400 palpitations a day. And that is probably a low count. Anyway, just wanted to vent.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2005, 02:17 PM   #2
Inactive

herbal HB User
Re: No One Believes Ultracet Causes Heart Palpitations!!!

Ok, BH - how old are you?

Tramadol (Ultracet / Ultram) is not known to have any cardio effects but they CAN occur. But, I w/d occasionally with tramadol and I do get heart paplitations.
You mentioned when you swim, it goes away. Before swimming, are you @ a day of work? Work might be putting pressure on you, which causes anxiety, which can cause palpitations. When you swim, you relieve anxiety, which relieves the palpitations.

If a cardiologist is saying "Nothing is wrong," I'm going to have to agree with him. Especially, if you have had multiple tests done.

Did you say that before the tramadol treatment that you had NO heart palpitations?

Old 02-01-2005, 02:39 PM   #3

marich101 HB User

BH2004,
Anxiety/depression can cause these palpitations...........I had the same problem several years ago. I was thoroughly convinced that I had a heart problem, my family doctor got so frustrated with me he told me I could ..#1 he would send me to a cardiologist to prove to me that there was nothing wrong..#2 visit with a psychiatrist to assure me that it was psycho-somatic ..OR #3 find myself another DR.. Sounds harsh I know but I had been going to see him at least 2 times a month for over a year, as I said firmly convinced I was dying of some weird malady with my heart.
I saw the cardiologist who ran all kinds of tests and told me that there was nothing wrong unless it were a 'mitral valve prolapse' and to prove that he would have to do the echo thing and there was not enough justification to run that expensive a test.(think my Dr had spoken with him??) I would have bet the farm that he had.

Anyway on with the point ...sorry I get to rambling and just don't know when to shut up. That happened in 1979, no at that time I wasn't doing drugs, I was the perfect little housewife and mother........and when I saw the psych dr I learned that I was suffering from depression/anxiety. I could be sitting somewhere reading a book..not thinking about anything that might upset me......and I'd have a hot flash, my heart would start racing and all I could think of was "I AM GOING TO DIE RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW" which only made me more anxious and worsened the situation. I normally didn't have the palpitations at that time, they would just happen randomly throughout the day the night ones were the scariest, my heart felt like it was doing flip flops and I thought that was it.
After seeing psych dr I, think I figured out what my problem was and the anxiety/panic attacks stopped.

I'm not saying that you need psych help. just want to help you to understand that your mind can mess with you more than you realize, and I know that is very hard for you to believe when you are the one it is happening to, I wouldn't even believe my DR when he told me my symptoms were psycho-somatic. And they are VERY real feelings/fears and I can't stress the very enough.
I know whatever I say probably isn't gonna mean diddley to you guess I just wanted to share my experience so maybe you wouldn't be so anxious.
Thoughts & prayers.
Marilyn

Old 02-02-2005, 02:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisaaahubb HB User

BH....keep swimming and exercising. I am gonna guarantee that these decrease with time. I still get them, just not so frequently. This IS a result of addiction. Everyone i know that has gotten off of pills has some sort of anxiety, or panic attacks for awhile. This is just something we need to learn to deal with, and learn how to work thru it. Keep reminding yourself that you went to a cardio. doctor and it is not your heart. The more you obssess about it, the faster your heart will race. Don't even count the beats....just breathe, take a walk, anything to occupy your mind.
i feel for you, i have had MANY days full of anxiety and heart palpatations, still have a few a week. So you are NOT alone, or a freak, we ALL go thru this when trying to get clean. I hope you have a good day today!
luv,
LISA

Old 10-23-2005, 04:03 PM   #5
(male)

matt54 HB User

I am also experiencing heart palpitations all of a sudden. I have been taking Tramadol for about 5 years now on and off to deal with depression. My usual dose is about 300 to 400mg once in the morning which seems to prolong the effects right up into the evening. I first noticed some palpitations when I was laying on the couch watching television about a week ago. When I got up and walked around it seemed to diminish. The palpitations don't seem to be due to withdrawal symptoms as I haven't lowered the dosage or stopped taking it at all. It sort of scared me and now I am worried but am severely addicted to the drug. I haven't had any major palpitations since but occasionally get a minor heart "flutter".

Old 10-23-2005, 04:41 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Arememom HB User

Hey BH2004,

What test did the doctor do on you to rule out heart issues. Did he do an Ultrasound, EKG, Treadmill Test, Lab work.....

Everything that all the other good folks posted are definitely possibilities. When I read your post I too think of Mitral Valve Prolapse and Panic Attacks. There are also rare heart issues that you would need to wear a Holter Monitor for 24-72 hours so that the doc can see exactly what type of heart rythmn your in when you feel these palpitations. I have a background in Cardiac and there are tons of things that can cause your heart of act up.

My question for your doctor is, "If my heart is normal then why do you want to put me on beta blockers?" Normal hearts don't need beta blockers. They are however used for different heart arrythmias/heart problems including Hypertension, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Atrial Fib....... I'd definitely opt for the Cardioloy consult. Psych visit wouldn't hurt me either. lol I have MVP and my first symptoms were heart feeling like it was going to jump out of my chest and squeezing in my neck (many years before my drug days).

I don't think it's related to withdrawals after 5 weeks. I do feel most likely it is related to stress, unfortunately until you get something resolved related to this issue, you will remain stressed. Hopefully with your exercise and time it will go away.

If you aren't satisfied with the doctors opinion, get a second and even third opinion. You must have absolute confidence in your physician to be able to trust him with your life. And that's just it, it is YOUR life. Not his, YOURS. Do whatever it takes for you to be happy/satisfied.

Old 10-23-2005, 09:04 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

astrolifter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt54
I am also experiencing heart palpitations all of a sudden. I have been taking Tramadol for about 5 years now on and off to deal with depression. My usual dose is about 300 to 400mg once in the morning which seems to prolong the effects right up into the evening. I first noticed some palpitations when I was laying on the couch watching television about a week ago. When I got up and walked around it seemed to diminish. The palpitations don't seem to be due to withdrawal symptoms as I haven't lowered the dosage or stopped taking it at all. It sort of scared me and now I am worried but am severely addicted to the drug. I haven't had any major palpitations since but occasionally get a minor heart "flutter".
I was horribly addicted to tramadol for 4 years; I took 20 to 25 pills a day on the average. Tramadol works its "wonders" by three distinct mechanisms:

1) Tramadol inhibits the re-uptake of Serotonin.

2) Tramadol inhibits the re-uptake of noradrenalin; the anti-depressant effexor inhibits the re-uptake of Serotonin and noradrenalin as well. Hence tramadol is basically an anti-depressant but also an opiate as:

3) Tramadol binds to MU opioid receptors weakly, but its primary metabolite, which has a half life of around 8-9 hours, has a 6000X greater affinity to bind to the MU receptors. This is why, one can multiple dose on tramadol every couple hours and not really really feel the 'high' effects until much later in the day, or night if thatís when you prefer to take it most. I remember I used to take my last dose around 1 AM in the morning, and wouldn't start going into real withdrawal until shortly before noon. But I would usually start my dosing at around 10:30 AM to prevent this. And the heart palpitations are not unusual at all; itís due to the increase in intracellular noradrenalin in the brain due to inhibiting its reuptake back in the synapses.

The worst side effect I endured while a prisoner of this insidious drug is constant, massive amounts of sweating. I literally had to change my under-shirts about a half dozen times a day, no matter what the weather was like outside, (I live in the northern Midwest). At least you're only taking it early in the day, it sounds like your habit is 6 to 8 pills. Eight pills is actually the maximum medically recommend daily dose, you will experience some fairly serious opiate withdrawals should you drop it cold turkey. If you choose to quit sometime, I would suggest that you very gradually taper down your dose over a period of several weeks, cutting your dosage very slowly every 4 to 5 days. When you get to the point where you're down to just a couple of pills a day, it shouldn't be too difficult to come off of. Good luck.

Closed Thread