It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2005, 06:53 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

lizzy76 HB User
Hydrocodone and weight gain?

Does a prolonged use of hydrocodone cause weight gain? I've been using it lately for pain caused by a kidney stone, but I'm also a recovering anorexic and I'm still a little about weight gain being a side effect of medication. Thanks,
Liz

Old 02-12-2005, 07:50 PM   #2
(male)

JCS HB User
Re: Hydrocodone and weight gain?

I lossed weight on them ............when I stoped taking them I gained it back

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2005, 09:49 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

lizzy76 HB User

Lee, thanks for your reply. I do have an addictive personality in that I tend to take things to the extreme, and anorexia was of course no exception. When my doc prescribed hydrocodone for my kidney stone pain I was a little worried knowing how easy it is for me to become addicted. Your story really has made that possibility seem more "real". I've been telling myself that I'm not taking that much so I won't become addicted or dependent in any way. But honestly that's been in the back of my mind, along with wondering about weight gain while taking this med. Like I said, I'm a recovering anorexic and I'm at a healthy weight right now but I still have a fear of uncontrolled weight gain - i.e. the result of a medication.

How long were you taking vicodin? How long does it usually take to become dependent? I'm sure it's different for everyone though. Right now I'm taking 7.5 twice a day but it's only been about 7 days total (and that's been spread out over 2 1/2 weeks time). I'm going to really watch how much I'm taking and how often I'm taking it.

Old 02-13-2005, 05:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisaaahubb HB User

I would stay away from hydro....i too am VERY skinny to begin with and now i am having a hard time maintaining my weight that i lost from abusing pain pills. Never mind GAINING weight!!! I am drinking ENSURE PLUS 3X a day now. It has helped me stay at the weight i am at, but i wanted to gain at least 10 lbs.....i am now working to eat more frequently during the day. Stay away from the opiates.....it is gonna trigger your anorexia all over again. Make sure you eat if you do HAVE to take them. You won't feel all that hungry, so remind yourself to eat and eat frequently.
I wish you well....
luv,
LISA

Old 02-14-2005, 04:01 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

lizzy76 HB User

Thanks again for your response. These boards have been really helpful. I stumbled onto the boards when I was having problems with anemia and it was helpful back then also.

I don't find myself looking at the clock wondering when I can take another pill. But there is a part of me that craves that feeling I'll get once I do take them - and that's gotten me into trouble with other stuff before! It's been SO helpful to read everyone's stories here and to see how this just slowly creeps into your life. It's really made me think twice about taking more pills than I should, or that I need. It's hard because I have a huge supply of them onhand, but again, coming here and reading everyone's posts has really been helpful. I know from experience how hard it is to beat an addiction (I spent almost a year in a residential treatment center for anorexia) and I really admire everyone here for what they're doing.

Liz

Old 02-14-2005, 04:24 PM   #6
(male)

dwp512 HB User

Liz,

Can't really address the weight gain (original question), but I can second Lee's warning about the insidious nature of this drug. Probably every pill addict started with 1 every so often, then if 1 feels good, 2 or 3 should feel really good! And it does...for awhile. Don't go there, it's a lie and a deception and no good will come from it. Seriously, there is no good way to get unaddicted...I wish I had listened awhile ago when I was screaming at myself to not go here. Yet, here I am...sadly.

Lee...good posts...I have been watching, reading and like your spirit and determination. My CT date in Mar 6th...hopefully, you and others can hold my hand (metaphorically speaking) while I go where you are going now.

dp

Old 02-15-2005, 05:43 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

valleygurl HB User

Hi There, I will say that i am in agreeance with the other posts as far as the wonderful advice and info they have shared with you about hydro addiction. As they have said, be careful. I believe you said that you have only had these pills for about 2 weeks only taking them here and there, you are doing fine so far. If you take the hydro as prescribed on an as needed basis for true severe pain, you should be ok. As most generally when you have severe pain and you take a pain killer it most generally goes to work directly where the pain is. You are ahead of the game in the respect that you are aware of the possibility of addiction, so many people that end up addicted were totally blind sided by it for they never seen it coming. Remember, you dont have to suffer with the severe pain. If you need to take it, then do so, just be careful.

As far as weight gain..... well in my experience, i was initially prescribed the hydro for SEVERE SEVERE neck pain. I had herniated discs. The hydro just wasnt cutting it so i was then prescribed percocet. During this time i had weight loss because the pain was so bad i had no desire to eat. Eventually it then went in the opposite direction and i started gaining weight while going back and forth between the vikes and percs. I know for a fact they cause weight gain for me. As one of the previous posts had mentioned about the pills slowing our body functions down, in my case, true true true........ Oh the fluid retention, puffy and bloating, not to mention the constipation added to it. Rest assured, if you are like me, once your pain is resolved and you no longer need the medication the weight should come right off. For me it comes off fairly quickly. So anyway, i know where you are coming from. I hope you feel better real soon. Congratulations for finding your way here to this wonderful helpful place.
ValleyGurl

Old 02-15-2005, 06:57 AM   #8

marich101 HB User

I have turned into a Tick of major proportions...........I don't really feel that it is all the pain pills although the sitting around in my house not going or doing 'cause I don't want to deal with anyone who might take away from my hydro feeling. It's not even a buzz anymore they've been in my life for so long.
I blame some of mine on guitting a job that kept me reasonably active, and the dreaded menopause, I know 98% of ya'll aren't old enough to deal with that yet but it might be something to keep in mind for future reference if you continue to use.
I weighed 103 lbs 5 yrs ago and am up to 135 now and I'm only 5 ft tall........it brings a real meaning to being as wide as you are tall.
The job situation I am about to do something about, an unhappy marriage is about to be corrected and hopefully I can fix at least part of my weight problem.
Yes the pills play a part in mine but I will only give them so much credit........I took them for years without any weight gain at all.........but I can't speak for others the way our bodies react to things are so different.
Marilyn

Old 04-18-2005, 07:35 PM   #9
(female)

Done with Drugs HB User

Hi Marilyn,
I also am a menopausal woman. I know that most of the people on this board are younger. It is especially shameful to me to be as old as I am and have this problem. I also have gained weight. I think it is the menopause, and not the pills, although they may have had some impact. I am currently on suboxone for a Norco addiction. I am now on 4mgs. and am stepping down to 2mgs tomorrow and will try to taper from there. According to others, this is a hellish experience. But, hopefully it will work and I will never get into this trap again. I am amazed at how many other "normal" men and women are in this situation. I now know that it can affect anyone, any age, and any profession or socioeconomic place.
Thanks for being here.
Linda

Old 04-19-2005, 07:48 AM   #10
Inactive

Twinlynn HB User

(I HAVE JUST REALIZED THAT I MEANT TO POST THIS ON A SUB. AND WEIGHT GAIN THREAD--NOT THIS ONE!! BUT I CAN'T SEEM TO FIND THE DELETE BUTTON! SO, SORRY FOR BEING SO OFF-TOPIC!! (AND HOPE ALL GOES WELL FOR YOU LIZZY) LYNN
AND PS -- LIZZY - I DID NOT GAIN WEIGHT ON HYDROCODONE.)

Ahh...some more pre/post/present menopausal women! LOL! I'm in the "post" group ...and it is hard to pinpoint exactly when and where these 20 lbs seem to come and go. (Though the common factor has been that... when I eat more...I gain more. :-)

I would say that my metabolism did slow down a bit at menopause....but then I worked to diet the lbs off. I definitely did have a bigger struggle as I became more "mature", shall we say? :-) But, as I think about it now...none of my friends in my age bracket (late 50's) look anything like their sylph-like selves of yesteryear....!!

In August, I had an infury to my foot--a serious wound that refused to heal--and I was almost completely off my feet (and out from work) for almost five months. Well! You can imagine what that did for this body--this giant nesting larva in my bed. LOL! So, wrack up about 10 lbs there.

THEN--I started on Subutex--and I swore that I would disprove the theory that you put on weight when you take it. Several months--and about 8 lbs later--I realize that although I've eaten no more than usual--the amount that normally keeps my weight steady--those lbs have slipped on. What I feel is plain, old "bloat"--like someone decided to use me as a flotation device. It's a peculiar weight gain--unlike any I've had before. I just feel so "blown-up"--even feet and fingers are swollen. "Helium" kinda describes it! As if a quick stab of a needle would mercifully deflate me. :-) Weird?! Even my face is swollen. (This is on 6 mg a day.)

I will be scrupulously honest and say that I could knock off all sugars (a recent, unwelcome craving) and lose a few lbs. But my guess is that for some chemical reason the Sub. may have just slowed my metabolism down! Arrghhh! I would normally never be puffed up like this on the amount I'm eating. (I don't have a scale to check but my estimate is that I went from 125--last weight on a doctor's scale--before my foot accident--to 135 during those 5 months of no walking--and up to 145 since I began the Sub on Dec. 9.) Within a few weeks on Sub., I started to get bloated (and irregular) to such a degree that I had to be introduced to my loathsome friend--"Fleet"!!! (No further details. LOL! On the other hand...re. my addiction...the Subutex was a life-saver for me.)

Re. ordinary antidepressants--I had never gained weight all these years on Prozac and Wellbutrin (although the Wellbutrin was what gave me the sweet tooth--and a strange craving for cream (!) within a week of taking it.)

I've come to my own (uncertain) conclusion that many factors, singularly or taken together, have caused this weight gain. Sedentary behavior...resulting in careless eating habits by a stationary body! Added to by Sub, which appears to have chemically altered my metabolism in some way (without my over-eating.) This last bit re. metabolism is a guess--but the unnatural puffiness of this weight (storing of water?) indicates to me that something has changed in the way I absorb what I eat. I am now going to stop almost ALL sugars....and see what happens. Stay tuned!

(Oh, yes...and thanks to everyone, who shared their own experiences here--it's hard to get this sort of information out of a doctor!!)

best to all, Lynn :-)

Last edited by Twinlynn; 04-19-2005 at 08:04 AM.

Old 04-19-2005, 08:08 AM   #11
(male)

Proward HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done with Drugs
I am amazed at how many other "normal" men and women are in this situation. I now know that it can affect anyone, any age, and any profession or socioeconomic place.:
Yes, it can affect anyone no matter who, where, age, sex, etc. I am 36, a college educated professional, married, a beautiful, bright 2 1/2 year old son, a loving family, a large house, 2 cars, fence around the yard, pets, friends, neighbors. I'm active in my community and I work in the Information Technology field. I was between jobs, having been laid of becasue of a Reduction In Force after 7 years with a certain Company. I was between jobs for 4 months. During that time, I had a relative who was being prescribed Oxys for Systemic Lupus. She was being over prescribed, so, she gave me a few to get rid of to friends that I had who had started doing them so that I could make a little extra cash cause I wasn't working. Well, after a while, I tried one with a friend and then I started doing them, only once in a while, weekends, etc. Then, I started doing 1 20mg pill everynight after work cause it relaxed me. Then, 2 20mg pills and maybe 3 or 4 20mg pills during the weekend days. I have had a problem for the past 1 1/2 years. It will be 2 years this June since I remember I started doing them regularly. I quit cold turkey a couple of different times but have gone back to using them on occassion. It has been 40 hours since I haven't done an OC. I have done 2 10/800 Hydro/Acaps and a half of another pain pill to help me sleep last night and I slept relatively well, whereas in the past, the first night of withdrawls were hell. I feel pretty good so far today. We'll see how it goes. It can, and it dsoes, happen to anybody. You would be surprised. In my younger days, I have sniffed coke with the 'Clerk of Courts' in my County where I live. I have smoked crack with married, church-going soccer moms. Anyone. Your neighbors, your family members, your friends.

Old 04-20-2005, 11:15 PM   #12
(female)

NawtyNellz HB User

For me it did cause weight gain. I think with all the acetaminophen in it, it made my stomach hurt all the time so I would eat to make the pain go away. I dont know if you have that problem. If your weight gain is from an increase in appetite, then maybe thats the problem?....It doesnt' take long to become addidcted could happen in a matter of weeks or less.

good luck

Old 05-10-2005, 02:15 PM   #13

lindylou58 HB User

Hello..It is odd that some folks have weight loss and some gain..for me, it IS the gain..from a size 14 to now a size 18!..growllllllllllll

Lindylou
Norco user wanting to QUITTTT

Closed Thread