It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2005, 06:42 PM   #1

ToxicTom HB User
Question Looking for a holistic, alternative detox program. Any suggestions?

I know there are alternative, naturpathic programs to help detoxify bodies that are contaminated simply by eating habits and lifestyle. But I haven't heard of any programs that help addictions to opiates. I don't trust the pharmaceutical companies, and conventional medicine like I used to. I would like to be in a natural setting, meditate, and study spirituality.

I read about this drug called ibogaine, it is sort of a hallucinagenic but it is suppose to work wonders in detoxification from opiates. Unfortunately, the drug is not legal in the U.S., so people who want to detox would have to travel to Mexico. I know they have some clinics that are overlooking the beautiful ocean, in the baja peninsula. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2005, 09:58 PM   #2
(male)

Jon_F HB User
Re: Looking for a holistic, alternative detox program. Any suggestions?

Ive heard of it but I also hear it can make you very sick. Go to www.drugs-forum.com They have tons of info and posts about it

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2005, 11:54 PM   #3
(male)

jmf HB User

Hi Toxic. When I first thought about getting into recovery, I also wanted to take a more homeopathic approach. Alright, what I really wanted was a spa-type setting instead of hard-core rehab. I was looking for a more gentle approach to recovery. If only I could have found something like that, I probably would have gotten help sooner. I spent so much time looking into cleansing spas and resorts, getting brochures in the mail, trying to convince my insurance company that this was for a medical purpose--that you know what happened? I never went to rehab. Not until a year later at which time I was a complete and utter wreck of 125 lb's of skin and bones. So while I was looking up resorts and spas, the drugs were still taking their toll.

So go to rehab now, any kind of rehab. You need to. Afterwards you can still go to the hemeopathic spa to celebrate your sobriety. I know of some nice ones in mexico, but these don't offer any of the benefits of a rehab center.

I wish you the best. JMF

Old 02-26-2005, 05:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisaaahubb HB User

No i don't know what you are talking about. Are you looking for a country club or a rehab???? I have a friend that went to ever dam rehab in the east coast just about.....and he never got it....he just took it as a "break" a mini=vacation. Well i tell you, it seems he has never learned. He would rant and rave the wonderful food, the horse-back-riding, the beautiful suites....seemed more like a vacation for rich snobs than a detox facility to me. He really didn't "get it" until he started attending AA and NA......
So that is my suggestion to you....go to a meeting. There maybe people in the rooms that can help you find a rehab. It doesn't matter what type of facility you are in.....w/d sucks...blank, period, end.....
I am not too familiar with your story....was it tramadol and ritalin???? You used to do oxy and replace the ultram .....right??? I would make sure that the facilities you look into detox people from ultram. A lot of doctors feel that it is non-habit forming.....yeah right!!!!!! You just recently had a seizure too???? Your dosage is extremely high, you gotta get some help and soon!
Get to a meeting in your area and reach out for help. I am sure if you attended a few NA meetings in your area, you would find the info you need to find a detox center that suits your needs. O.k.....i wish you the best.
Hang in there. I wish i was more familiar with ultram w/d, i will ask some of my friends at my NA meeting this morning, they might be able to give me some info that i can pass along to you. I believe there is a few people i know that have had to go to rehab for ultram....i will see what i can dig up for ya.
hang in there!
Easy does it with the ultram, you don't need to have another seizure. You gotta start a taper, gotta start somewhere.
luv,
LISA

Old 02-26-2005, 01:26 PM   #5

ToxicTom HB User

Thanks for the responses,

I guess I should have been more clear. A resort type setting would be nice, but you are right, I don't need that. I would like a sauna though, because I've read that it really helps when you are trying to detoxify because you are sweating everything out.

What I was trying to say, is that I would like to find a place that can help me out and would only use prescription drugs like suboxedone, as a very last option for my recovery. I just don't want to get on anti-depressents or methadone type drugs to get me off another drug. Thats what I did with tramadol, trying to get off oxy and vics.

I also don't want to be in a rehab where there are people who are only there because of court orders and they aren't serious about quitting. No negative vibes please.

What the number of NA anyways?

Thanks for the help
!

Last edited by ToxicTom; 02-26-2005 at 01:28 PM.

Old 02-26-2005, 03:31 PM   #6

ToxicTom HB User

umm.. alco, you aren't very open minded are you. I wouldn't even be posting anything on these healthboards if I wasn't serious about detox. You think I am doing this for fun?

On your last response, why would you want to be around people who aren't serious about quiting but is only there because they have to be. You can't get support from them! It's not about being special.

Old 02-26-2005, 03:40 PM   #7

flygirrll HB User

NA - www.narcoticsanonymous.org - you can find meeting schedules in your area there, and phone numbers too

Good luck

Old 02-26-2005, 03:54 PM   #8

marich101 HB User

Hey Tom,
Not trying to send anything negative your way and I do understand that you are just asking for information, but please don't spend too much time searching or you may end up as one of those people with court orders. I should probably read your past posts but from this one I got that you've had some experience with opiates, have you had any past rehab experiences? Granted its no fun and its sort of hard to associate yourself with people who are not necessarily there of their own accord. Years ago I was in with a valium addiction and the majority of the others were there for alcohol......and I just could not put the two together, my problem didn't have even the most remote of similarities to theirs. They drank.......to cope .........and I took pills to ............cope. Didn't see the connection at the time
Try the website that was suggested but if you are looking for help do it soon its so easy to dismiss these thought you got to act when the iron is hot. A friend and I were talking the other day...........the place you choose to get help from isn't that big a deal..............it's more about being receptive to treatment.
Good luck in whichever route you choose
Marilyn

Old 02-26-2005, 04:16 PM   #9
(female)

joanharvest HB User

I understand what you are saying, Toxic Tom. My parents owned a health food store for twenty years so I was brought up in that altenative care environment. My son, who detoxed at home this past month from a heavy heroin and oxycontin addiction, was given vitamins, amino acids and herbs to help him. Unfortunately, my hot water heater broke when he started detoxing so he didn't even have the luxury of a hot bath and I couldn't afford to get it fixed right away. I had to drive him to my sister's to get a bath. He wished the same thing as you. Not a resort rehab but a place where you could get into a hot tub or get accupuncture which has always relaxed him or a massage. Alas, he got me, a cold tub, and a bad headache which nothing helped. But I stayed with him for a week and gave him massages. I was willing to do accupunture on him but since I have no experience, he didn't want me sticking needles in him.

I read yesterday about the actor, Tom Sizemore, who has a bad meth habit, was in a rehab and scored more meth than he ever got on the street. Check E online for the article. That was one reason my son wanted to detox at home. But I think if you do it at home you need strong support. He is now three weeks clean and doing well. He is seeing a drug addiction counselor but won't go to meetings. I drug test him every other day. He gets to live at home one more day if he is clean. I just pray every day that his test is negative.

I've never heard of an alternative care rehab but I would think some people who do not want to take any more drugs of any kind as they detox would appreciate it. I know at our local rehab they give you all sorts of drugs to help you with withdrawals which I am sure many appreciate but still there are others who would prefer no drugs.

Last edited by joanharvest; 02-26-2005 at 04:36 PM.

Old 02-26-2005, 07:06 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Charlie Muffin HB User

Hi Tom,

How's it going? Like you, I am all for holistic/homeopathic regimens now. But I think, I also agree with some of the people on this board, that if you can't find a holistic/homeopathic rehab soon, it might just be better to get help now.

I am planning to kick medicine altogether. On another post to ValleyGurl, I was saying that I don't want to go to a sleep doctor, he prescribes me medicine, my pyschologist will prescribe me medicine, someone said I might have ADD, what if I took medicine for that too (??), then I already take a crapload of allergy medicine and over the counter medicine for anything that remotely happens to me. Shiit, if I took all the medicine for everything the doctor probably wants to give to me, I'd probably be taking 10 different things daily if I wanted to- uh, no thanks. I see people who have depression or ADD or other body aches always poppin down like 5-10 pills daily. What's up with that? I don't wanna sound harsh or closed minded, sigh.

When I broke my leg, doctor was prescribing me pain killers. I just took nothing, shiit I didn't even do physical therapy (which I should have), but you know what?! My leg is alright. But man I was pretty irritable for months with the pain.

I look hard to find alternative/holistic/homeopathic help for my allergies now. This is a new thing I'm doing now. It's just so much easier in the past, to take allergy medicine, then to put the time in to find alternatives, you know. Not to mention, when you go see a doctor, they are like salespeople in disguise- dispensing medicine like there's no tomarrow. Logically, it's just easier for a doctor to give you medicine then to figure out alternative solutions for you. Not to mention I think Doctors are "in on it," the more they can prescribe to patients.

This prescription medicine business is a multi billion dollar industry. And if you are addicted, do you think they really care?? That's why there's not really an emphasis on trying to break people loose of becoming addicted to prescription medicine. All they do is prescribe you different medicine and then you become addicted to something else! Like musical chairs!- you just keep going round and round! I go to my allergy doctors who prescibes me several medication to take daily, and I've been taking allergy medicine for 20 years, and I'm all, "Doctor, is this actually good for me, to be taking several medications like this on a daily basis? (because I'm gonna have allergies for the rest of my life, so I'd have to do this for the next 30-60 years??) (and other doctors wanted to give me shots too) My doctor said, "It's fine." I DON'T BUY IT. My body doesn't react to medicine like how it used to, and my allergies have gotten worse, so I have little faith in medicine, and starting up on other medicine.

Why do you think your doctors are always giving you samples?- so they can get you addicted on other shiit. Because doctors and pharmaceutical companies are like partners in crime. They go hand in hand, like bank robbers and the drivers of get away cars- without one, the other one would not function efficiently, they all need money. Why do you think a good portion of the the board members on the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) has professional relationships with pharmaceutical companies, and don't want to take certain addictive medicine off the shelves? People, if money is the driving force, often times, no one gives a shiit about anything else, including your health.

This other orthodontist I had whose a money mongrel, wanted to do two different types of surgeries on my face (he wanted to refer me to his surgeon friend to do it), like he wanted to cut my face and my jawbones, and move my chin and jawbones around, and put a fake chin implant on me and some shiit like that, because I had a bad bite, and then he wanted to do gum surgery on my teeth. Jesus christ. I'm glad I have a paranoid asss mom who wouldn't let me go through surgery and wouldn't let me get allergy shots. So I went to another dentist, an EXTREMELY GOOD dental school, and they all told me these surgeries were unnecessary. I was glad. People- if you had doctors like mine, your doctors may be selling you lemons!

I used to faint from getting hives (not a lot though), and I went to the doctor, he practically prescribed me a medicine case. The pharmacist looked at the prescription the doctor wrote for me and went to him, and said, "you sure you wanna be prescribing all this to her"?

But I believe sometimes if you look hard enough for alternative solutions, you'll find it. So now I'm on a holistic/homepathic crusade for my allergies and all my other problems in life. I'm looking into some controversial regimens too that seems to cure allergies as well as sleep disorders, joint pain, fatigue, you name it. It seemed to help a handful of people on this board. It's about taking care of your "candida," a yeast that grows in your body, thus, onsetting a host of other problems, but the "candida" is said to be the "mother problem" of it all. But I also join "Alternative Medicine" topic on this board, as well as another board, and I've found some alternative solutions for my allergies.

Here's some link and book reccomendations for all of you people:

- "Undoing Depression What Therapy Doesn't Teach You and Medication Can't Give You" by Richard O' Connor, Phd

-You mentioned Tom, you wanted to get into spirituality stuff: here's a book:
"Wherever You Go, There You Are" by Jon Kabat-Zinn

Another good place to start is by contacting holistic/homepathic professionals, and asking for references.

I read this book on clutter clearing - Her name is Karen Kingston; she's all for holistic stuff, she talks about getting rid of all the pollutants in your body, and she saids one way in doing this is cleaning out your colon. There's a certain way to do it where she describes in her book, "Clearing out your clutter with Feng Shui" by Karen Kingston. I think I wanna get rid of all the pollutants in my body, and I wanna stop putting junk and crap in there like all this junk food I used to eat, and all the medicine I take. It's hard to do this overnight, but in time I think it can happen, it's just so much easier to pop down a pill eh?

But imagine, they got pills for everything you can possibly fathom out there: dieting, sleeping, cold, pain, fatigue, depression, add, addiction recovery, the list is truly endless.

But I noticed with myself, any medicine I take for a long time, starts wearing off, and isn't effective on me anymore. Then doctor just wants to prescribe me different medicine that works- it's the "musical chair syndrome" I was describing above. When I first do the medicine, sure it's great and works wonders.

But it seems like if people got one problem, they usually got a bunch of problems. Really, do you really wanna be taking medicine for everything that comes your way? I'm a chicken when it comes to side effects and addiction. If I can see myself not getting addicted and being able to take medicine TEMPORARILY, I'd give it a shot, but that probably isn't likely to happen.

So, anyhow, sorry, that is my long asss rant how I don't like medicine and the pharmaceutical companies, and putting shiit and junk in your body. I am just very lucky I've never been addicted to cigarettes, alcohol, or hardcore drugs, so I have never walked in you guys' shoes before, and I can only fathom how difficult it is to kick addiction. It's probably a good thing I got bad allergies, and am allergic to everything on this planet, so I would probably die if I did drugs. If not for my allergies, I could see myself being a smoker, at the least, but even that shiit sends me into an allergy attack for several days..

Good Luck,
Charlie

Last edited by Administrator; 03-16-2005 at 08:10 PM.

Old 02-26-2005, 07:34 PM   #11
(male)

Jon_F HB User

I understand Tom' concern. I once went to a rehab and it turned out to also be a halfway house and a court appointed rehab. I was serious about quitting and expressed that and nobody liked me, they wouldnt talk to me, they got,"he is a rat" rumors started. It was a living hell. There were drugs everywhere and the people there were total ***holes. If you was serious about quitting places like that are not the way to go. Good luck Tom, if you got the cash to pay for a rehab that suits your needs then go for it. You get what you pay for and the people who say otherwise and say that you are not serious about quitting obviously havent been to many rehabs or had any experience with a bad one.

Old 02-26-2005, 07:50 PM   #12
(female)

joanharvest HB User

Charlie,
You said everything that I have always felt. Good for you for explaining things so well.

Old 02-26-2005, 11:42 PM   #13
(female)

vvandy7 HB User

Have you heardof Narconon? It is a world famous drug treatment program that is stastically very effective, however it is very costly. I would recommend this program to anyone.... finances considered, it costs a lot less than a funeral for a loved one. this program uses sweat baths, herbal meds, etc., to help relieve individuals from their addictions. Check it out. GoodLuck.

Old 02-27-2005, 06:17 PM   #14

ToxicTom HB User

In response to the following people:

Joan Harvest -
I think I should look into how to open up an affordable detox facility that incorporates massages, accupuncture, colon cleansing, yoga classes, vitamamen supplementation, and I also would have prescription drugs for hard addictions to break such as heroin. Don't take my idea unless you want to go in business with me ok

Charlie Muffin
Hopefully your not banned like it says under your name,
I would think alot of people would like doing something like that, especially if there are prescription drugs you can take if the worst comes to worse. Just so people can be secure. Back on the drug industry and doctors, I used to serve food and drinks at banquets balls paid for by the a pharmeceutical industry every time a new drug came out. They would invite as many doctors they could, to have free gourmet meals, and unlimited coctail drinks. They would also raffle off free vacation trips, gifts, and any other thing of value. You are right about the FDA, it should be in all of the news and treated as a huge scandal whenever another person working in the FDA, retires and then works for a drug company. It happens all the time though, especially now that Bush and his cronies are running the government. I will keep my eyes open for natural allergy medicine but I don't know if you can do anything about that if you were born with the allergies and always had them.

John F -
That must of been hell, what exaclty is a halfway house anyways? I don't even know you but start crackin up picturing a person like myself who wants to get better and quit, and is the only one who does.

VVandy
Thanx for the Narconon tip

Old 02-28-2005, 09:24 AM   #15
Inactive
(male)

windysan HB User

Narconon is SCIENTOLOGY !!!! Just so you know what you're getting into. Here is a link about Narconon.

[url]http://www.crackpots.org[/url]

and another...

[url]http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Narconon/[/url]

Last edited by windysan; 02-28-2005 at 09:31 AM.

Closed Thread