It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2005, 07:10 PM   #1
(female)

helpme_helphim HB User
Unhappy success stories or positive words about METHADONE

Hey,
I am seeking positive feedback,advice, and success stories about Methadone. My husband has been on it for 2 weeks now (first on 25mg, now on 40mg) and he is feeling good. He has tried to go " COLD TURKEY" from his 13 year addiction to Codeine. Due to the WD's, he just coldn't do it. He missed a week of work, and couldn't even get out of bed. He was taking about 60-80 Tylenol 1's a day. We figured that was about 480mg-640mg of just codeine, and 18000mg-24000mg of acetaminophen A DAY!!!
Anyhow, I have heard A LOT of horror stories about methadone and I am getting very worried about him being on it. So I am looking for Success stories and positive feedback.
Thanks in advance....
A VERY WORRIED WIFE

Last edited by helpme_helphim; 03-04-2005 at 07:59 PM. Reason: background was left out

Old 03-04-2005, 07:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisaaahubb HB User
Re: success stories or positive words about METHADONE

I know for a fact Dallas Alice has some very postive things to say about methadone. I have seen it help SO many of my very good friends.
If we can't call her out, look up her posts, do a search under her name, or even a search on methadone. Everything has a positive and negative side. If it has stopped the drug seeking and behavior, then, to me, that is all that counts. Remember everyone is different too.
I wish you and your husband well and give you alot of credit for being so caring and supportive. This board is FULL of information. I am hoping some posters will help me out. What questions do you have? I could ask my friends. Is his dose stabilized yet or is he just starting treatment???
O.k....good luck
luv,
LISA

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2005, 09:04 PM   #3

marich101 HB User

Hey HHHM,
Can't offer much on the codeine, but he needs to stop worrying about the methadone and start worrying about all the acetaminophen,that's the stuff that trashes the liver. I've taken hydrocodone for a long time and that worrys the crap out of me.
I had a roommate that had a daughter who committed suicide with 5 different narcotics, and the doctor said they could probably have saved her if it hadn't been for all the APAP(it was in most of them), just shut her body down an organ at a time, 4 1/2 days...... so slow.
I'm not trying to scare you but it's something that I would want to know.
My thoughts and prayers are with you,
Marilyn

I am so sorry......I didn't read deeply enough into your post.........you wanted positive stories. I do apologize!!!!

Last edited by marich101; 03-04-2005 at 09:06 PM.

Old 03-05-2005, 11:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB User

I was on methadone. I will say that it is a lot stronger than any other drug you will get your hands on. It does help, for the time being, because it is a daily dose of opiate that will get you stabalized and allow you not to have to do all those things you would for other drugs. it allows you to function and go to work with out the constant worry of where your next fix will come from. If he does it right it can be a good thing. Many that i know , including myself, did not do it right. We still wanted to get actually high and it did not work so we either did coke or smoked crack. Something about the mixture of the two is ok when you actually would hate uppers normally. it will bring you too your knees quicker than anything else ever would. but if he does it right, no other drugs, cuz you don't need any with that stuff, then eventually they will taper him and it can work. i know a few people that it has worked for. it is just that your body gets so used to having that stuff that no matter what you do there is still a recovery time that you will have to face eventually. i loved my methadone but your body still has to recover afterwards and get used to not having anything to function properly. i am not talking withdrawls. i am talking allowing your body a long period of time to let all the cells go back to normal. it is a good thing if you are not ready to deal with all of that or really quit and deal with the aftermath. good luck. just enjoy that he does have a weight lifted off his shoulders right now and can relax and enjoy his days.

Old 03-05-2005, 01:54 PM   #5
(male)

Jon_F HB User

In all reality it would be good for him in being better than eating all that apap but it wouldnt have been that hard just to go cold turkey on the codeine. After a month or two going cold turkey on the methadone wont be an option. All I am saying is he wouldve been better off to just go to detox and treatment now hes just getting in deeper. That is just my opinion though like I said in a reply to your last post that I have been and know many people who have went through methadone programs and they either stay on it indefinitely or go through a crappy tapering process and then when they come totally off they usually go back to their drug of choice or go back to the methadone clinic. But I would have to say that he is better off on the methadone than eating all that codeine but in my opinion if he is planning on quitting all drugs he should have just detoxed on the codeine. I read where people are acting like it is so hard to taper and all that but I have never been able to taper-just dont got the discipline. But on drugs like hydrocodone and codeine, if someone really wanted to abstain from all drugs detox is the only way to go, not getting on bupe or meth. That is just prolonging the misery. I have done my fair share of hydros and codeine and never thought I needed medical maintenance or assistance until I got on the ultrams and oxys. Anyway, I hope I didnt **** anybody off, In every post of mine I just state my opinion based on my experiences which are many. I never say anything is a fact or the way it is. Everybody has common sense about what they are doing and need to do. HelpMe, it is up to him what he will do and nothing anybody says on here or what you say to him will change it but I'm sure your support will help. I just think he is passing up his chance to quit drugs by getting on an even stronger drug.

Old 03-05-2005, 08:42 PM   #6
(female)

helpme_helphim HB User
Angry Re: success stories or positive words about METHADONE

Jon,
Maybe you didn't read all of my post. Here is a short version of it. He was taking apx 480-640MG of codeine a DAY! We have seen a few doctors since he decide to get off them and all of them has never heard of someone taking that many for 13 years! Actually 3 of the docs said that there is no way he could have gone CT without some sort of help. In the past 3 years that we have been together, he has consumed ATLEAST 175200mg. But that would be easy to get off? RIGHT. Anyhow, I was looking for positive words about methadone, not someone telling me that my husband doesnt have will power. I am very proud that he has finally made the decision to get off these pills, and have supported him 101% of the way, and I will continue to. You may not believe it, but success stories actually make it just a little esaier for the both of us!
-A (now)****** off worried wife

Old 03-05-2005, 10:39 PM   #7
(male)

Jon_F HB User

Ok, sorry you took that the wrong way just wait a year from now on methadone maintenance and you tell me something positive besides not being sick. And also, I never said it would be easy to get off codeine, just said it would be easier than the methadone. WAY EASIER. I would just like to know where I said that dose wouldve been easy to get off of. lol Wait and see. And how did I say he didnt have any willpower? Whatever, some people are just looking for an argument when they dont wanna hear something, you need to look at that post again.

Last edited by Jon_F; 03-05-2005 at 10:45 PM.

Old 03-06-2005, 02:53 PM   #8
(male)

Jon_F HB User

Sorry, didnt mean to cause an argument I am sure they are success stories about methadone as they are subutex. They are also many negatives on both.
I've been to 3 methadone clinics in my life and every time within a month I was more strung out then when I came in so I am a little bias towrds it. I recently started the sub 1-22 and I am starting to see negatives in it as well. Good luck to you and yours.

Last edited by Jon_F; 03-07-2005 at 01:13 AM.

Old 03-08-2005, 05:27 AM   #9
(female)

tracy0021 HB User

you are so right jon, its just substituting one drug for another.

Last edited by tracy0021; 02-23-2006 at 02:27 AM.

Old 03-08-2005, 06:18 AM   #10
(male)

Jon_F HB User

Very good Tracy, You are right. I am on a suboxone maint. now and debating whether I should stay on it or not. The thing is with me I dont know what it's like to be normal. I have either been binging on drugs or dopesick since I was 14 and I am 26 now. Sure, I have had a few clean months under my belt . One thing is for sure I do have chronic neck and back pain due to a bad car wreck in 2001 and every time I try to make it without anything I am miserable and eat the crap out of goody powders.
Yeah, I dont think the HelpMe will be back. I was just trying to tell her that her hubby would be must better just detoxing off that then going on methadone. That is crazy to act like methadone is needed to come off that codeine dose. Back in my heavy using days t3s didnt even help one bit when I was sick. And there had been times too when I was about 19 when I ate t3s everyday for a few months and just went c/t and had very little withdrawl. Seems like some people are just looking for an argumenet in here. In almost every one of my posts I stress the fact that I am only stating my opinion based on my experiences and I am not saying anything is a fact or the way it is. I just dont see how she twisted my words on that one. Well, Anyway Tracy thanks for your reply.

Last edited by Jon_F; 03-08-2005 at 06:20 AM.

Old 03-08-2005, 07:09 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

valleygurl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_F
Very good Tracy, You are right. I am on a suboxone maint. now and debating whether I should stay on it or not. The thing is with me I dont know what it's like to be normal. I have either been binging on drugs or dopesick since I was 14 and I am 26 now. Sure, I have had a few clean months under my belt . One thing is for sure I do have chronic neck and back pain due to a bad car wreck in 2001 and every time I try to make it without anything I am miserable and eat the crap out of goody powders.
Yeah, I dont think the HelpMe will be back. I was just trying to tell her that her hubby would be must better just detoxing off that then going on methadone. That is crazy to act like methadone is needed to come off that codeine dose. Back in my heavy using days t3s didnt even help one bit when I was sick. And there had been times too when I was about 19 when I ate t3s everyday for a few months and just went c/t and had very little withdrawl. Seems like some people are just looking for an argumenet in here. In almost every one of my posts I stress the fact that I am only stating my opinion based on my experiences and I am not saying anything is a fact or the way it is. I just dont see how she twisted my words on that one. Well, Anyway Tracy thanks for your reply.

Jon jon jon...... I have a question for you!!!!! I see in your post how you suffer chronic pain, well i do too. I also see that you are on the sub. Well, my big question for the day........ DOES THE SUB HELP YOUR PAIN?????
If so, how well does it work or even doesnt work? As i said, i suffer chronic pain and i am addicted to the pain meds and i want off of them but i also know if i go off of them my quality of life is gonna stink. So i have been researching the sub, i want to go on it and i was wondering if it was just wishful thinking that by going on the sub i could kill two birds with one stone.
Thanks in advance for your input.

ValleyGurl

Old 03-08-2005, 09:13 AM   #12
(male)

Jon_F HB User

well, the first month will suck because of the headaches and constipation. I am on 20 mg and it helps my pain about 80% which is a lil better than a percocet and a lil weaker than morphine if you know what I mean. Ya know you hear so many people on these boards talking about less is more and all that but not for me. I will admit though the 20mg made me a lil sick at my stomach the first month- made me carsick as well. I am planning on being on some kind of maint. indefinitely . Chronic pain makes it 10 times harder to deal with the addiction in my opinion.
Here lately I've been studying different forums and such to see if anybody that has been on long term sub has been able to function and if the med is still effective after a period of time. All the answers I have got and the posts I have read people say after a year or so it starts making you feel like crap and their attitude toward the drug changes totally. Honestly, If their was a meth clinic closer to my home I would've just gone to it.
Sub does help the pain though but I would say the subutex helps the pain probably twice as better and has less side effects. I got the subutex in the hospital and when I was released I was put on the suboxone- I could tell a big difference. Another thing I will strt looking to here in a lil while is pain man. doctors in my area that may write the subutex. Now that will definitely kill 2 birds with one stone plus I could also get my steroid injection in my shoulders and neck. I'd say any pain management doctor would write out the subutex if you ask for it because it is only a schedule III and the buprenex injectable is a schedule V, the temgesic 0.2 are also a V. Seems like if they write out oxys and percs and such they would surely write sub. Well anyway Good Luck Valleygirl.

Old 03-10-2005, 10:22 PM   #13
(female)

tracy0021 HB User

hi jon, thanks for the nice words and u were right, she didnt want to hear the truth but i think she knew it all along so hopefully it will help her in the end. you will get no illusions here! i saw that you have been using all your life basically, and dont know how to be normal and i think you hit on something alot of people can relate to. and are scared of. i was like that. my whole family is still like that. i have not spoke to my mother in 3yrs because shes the ringleader! its bad enough when you already feel different from other people let alone hang with people that are the same way. what im trying to say is your no better are worse than anybody walking the street. we have all been using for so long that its our way of life. its all we know and it makes us feel comfortable. you know for the longest time i used to think i couldnt imagine going to a party and Not getting wasted, it was like,"whats the point of even having a party?!"well, its conditioning. its mental. its because thats what we DO. WE ARE PARTIERS! .....wrong. and this is where it gets difficult. it sounds like this is where your at jon, life is pretty scary all on its own, let alone be so messed up you dont know what your doing. i finally realized that and im pretty sure you will too from the way you sound i think you already know this and its just a matter of time. as far as your chronic pain, have you had an mri to determine exactly what the problem is? it could be something than can be corrected. or maybe you fear the fear of pain more than the actual pain itself?( wow that sounds all deep doesnt it?)anyway, thanks jon and i hope this helps ya in some way.

Last edited by tracy0021; 02-23-2006 at 02:26 AM.

Old 03-13-2005, 12:54 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

jessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB User

I hear you both Tracy and Jon,
I have also been to a few methadone clinics and was always worse then when I came in. One time I wound up on 200mg and went to jail and had to come off of it cold turkey. It was not pretty. That one did me in. The first time i got on methadone i went thinking it was some program that would get me off the dope but once i did methadone for a little while i realized i liked the methadone way better than the dope and really i was just getting high but not having to do any of the illegal activities that went along with it so i could obviously be more productive and more of a human being. Even when i did not have a habit but wanted to get high i went and signed up at the methadone clinic. sad and pathetic, I know , but methadone was just as good of a high than any for me. Eventually i got sick of it and when i got locked up and felt like i was dying from the with drawl i said enough is enough. I just want a normal life. It took me sooooooo long ,even after the withdrawl, to feel normal again. I finally did but it was not over after the month of withdrawl. I had at least 6 months that my body was just trying to level out and another year where the brain cells had to start fuctioning again and i could read again at a normal speed and the oil pockets on my skin were producing normally with out the drugs and all kinds of stuff. It is way easier to just quit the drug instead of methadone. it is sooo pure and strong. at the time it is great because you can get your family off your back and get high at the same time with out getting into trouble.

Old 03-13-2005, 03:48 PM   #15
(female)

tracy0021 HB User

good post jessy, and so true.

Last edited by tracy0021; 02-23-2006 at 02:21 AM.

Closed Thread