It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2005, 09:11 AM   #1
(male)

electricguy HB User
Opiates vs benzos vs antidepressant

Question for those addicted to opiates - how do the valiums and xanaxes make you feel? (Benzos) I ask because I have the opiate addiction and on another thread, we were talking about the Benzos. For the record, benzo's have always made me SLEEP! Like total knockout. I can't even imagine trying to use these on a daily basis. Then I was considering the chemical side of this and wondering if anyone with a previous opiate addiction found a long term anti=depressant that worked. In the past I have taken Zoloft -horrible, Welbutrin - horrible. Doc recommended celexa *i think that was the name of it, but I gave up and went to opiates (hydro). They worked great but everyone here knows the death spiral these cause.

Old 03-06-2005, 02:41 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

windysan HB User
Re: Opiates vs benzos vs antidepressant

Problem with benzos is the tolerance thing and the fact that death is possible during withdrawals. AD's just dumb me down and I want to keep my edge. Straight edge is the way for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2005, 05:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisaaahubb HB User

I have tried zoloft, prozac, and paxil. They all made me worse, like a zombie with angry bursts??!?!?!?!
That is when they added xanax to the cocktail. It just makes me sleep. I usually only take it at night. Occasionally i will take a 1/4 when i feel overly-anxious.
No anti-depress. for me. I couldn't take my insurance company constantly changing what they would cover and what they wouldn't. I had aweful w/d from paxil and zoloft. Weird drugs. They scare me.
Well opiates used to work for me for depression, then that all changed drastically!!!
Lots of people in NA say to give it time, and your brain and body will return to a some-what normal state. A year is what they tell me. Sounds long to me, but VERY worth it! feeling normal. i don't even think i know what that feels like anymore. I am going to wait it out....i remember when i quit drinking and coke, it took awhile for me and my boyfriend at the time, to get back into the swing of life. We ended up developing new hobbies and attended meeting to make some new sober friends. So i know for a fact, time is what we need. Although some just can't get motivated and get into a real unhealthy depression....then i think anti-dreprss. may work. I don't know, i wonder if opiates ruin our brains chemistry forever??????? And i wonder what percent of ex-junkies that are sober and have sobriety time are on anti-drepress??? AA is a little more accepting of taking "pills", at least some of the groups i ran across. NA---they believe in letting the body heal with time and support. That is why i attend more NA meetings. I was running across way too many people that claimed they were "sober" and had years in, but where on oxycontin for pain?????? That is just my luck, though LOL
luv,
LISA

Old 03-09-2005, 12:41 PM   #4
(female)

lilyprincess HB User

I tried a bunch of anti-depressants over the years, and they all made me feel like a robot - no emotion. I was also on Xanax for about a year and a half for anxiety and it made me so tired. I got addicted to the hydro's, they seemed to work like a great antidepressant...lol. I started taking Lexapro about a month ago, and it has actually helped a lot. I was sick for the first week taking it, but now I don't have any side effects and I feel, well, normal - I guess. Of course there isn't the euphoric feeling of well being like with the hydro's, it's more of a constant feeling of "OK". It took a while to find something that worked though. I do wonder though about the brain chemestry of people who are prone to opiate addiction - some people just get sleepy when they take them, others see no effect. but people like us seem to feel somehow "cured" when we take opiates. It usually stems from underlying problems, it's not just about feeling high. so I think there is definitely something chemical going on there.

Old 03-09-2005, 04:57 PM   #5
(male)

electricguy HB User

Thanks for all of the info, I thought it was just me, but I guess there are a lot of us out there. I will put Lexapro in my list to investigate.
Thanks again

Old 03-26-2005, 12:56 PM   #6
(male)

Wildman HB User

I also take Lexapro (20mg) and it has been a life-saver. I agree with the previous poster's remarks that it's more like a consistent "OK" feeling more than anything else. I also take Seroquel to sleep as the Lex activates me a bit too much sometimes.

I am also taking 4 norcos per day as I suspect I suffer from fibromyalgia somewhat I have awful leg and knee aches that get worse in times of stress. It's really uncomfortable and makes going up/down stairs really tough some times. I know my knees and legs are strong as I _can_ run up/down stairs quickly, but it just aches..

Many people have found relief with Lexapro, and many people are switching to Lex from other, older AD medications.

Wildman

Old 03-26-2005, 01:25 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

valleygurl HB User

Hey there, I have taken several AD's and didnt feel any different. I was on the Lexapro and Celexa the longest. I really feel like i took them for nothing seeing how they didnt help me a bit. Back in December my doctor switched me to Cymbalta, and at that time this med had only been on the market about 6 mos. It works great for me. I felt a huge difference in only 4 days!!!! That is when i really realized that all the others indeed were or had not been working for me. Anyways, that is just my experience with them.

Oh yeah, as far as valium and xanax, i have never been prescribed them but, shame on me, I have tried them and like many of you they totally just knock me out! So it is hard for me to understand how people get addicted to them when they just make you tired and sleep.

Is there anyone on here that they work differently for? How do they make you feel? I am just very curious.

ValleyGurl

Closed Thread