It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2005, 11:19 PM   #1

Pez Dee Spencer HB User
Panic Attacks 10 Days After Quitting Marijuana PLEASE READ.

Hello everyone. I am a 28 year old male. When I was 12 I started smoking cigarettes, marijuana, and drinking heavily. From about 14 on I was drinnking, and smoking weed every weekend till about 17 when things really started to pick up. Thats when I started drinking almost daily and getting super smashed everytime. The pot use was periodic during this time but two years ago I totally quit drinking and after about a week sober from booze I just had to have something so I hunted down some weed and have been smokin ever since.
For the past 2 years its been one big smoke fest. All day everyday. I quit smoking cigarettes about 8 months ago and after that I smoked even more. And we arent talking about some shwag stuff we are talking about prime kind buds that look like gumdrops they are so coated with resin.
Last year I started getting heart palpitations so I quit cigs but I still had them anyway. My weed smoking continued until about 10 days ago when I decided that I have had it. Im studying for a career now and on top of these palpitations weed smoking just wasnt fun anymore.
Before I continue let me say that for these past 10 days I have NEVER gone this long without some sort of substance in me whether it be weed or booze. I dont even use caffiene because of the palpitations.
The problem is that about 3 days ago I started feeling like I couldnt breathe. I became obsessed with it I was constantly gasping for air and this turned into HUGE panic attacks which I have had before especially when I quit drinking after a month long binge.
Anyway I went to the er because I couldnt breathe and they said it was anxiety. they didnt say from weed but I told them I had recently quit. I never thought weed was addictive like this but I may be wrong. before anyone says I may ahve been smokin someithing laced, I wasnt cause I knew who was growing it and he is a longtime trusted friend. They gave me a few ativan at the hospital and I have been taking them and they help but I am still a wreck.
I panic all day and I still think I cant breathe.
What am I going to do??? I was fine when I was still smoking dope. Could this be from weed??? OR am I just losing my mind??? This is not fun and I will never do any drugs again. I whish I didnt even have to take these ativans but without them I would be going completey crazy. Please give me some advice. Thanks.

Oh yeah and after only 3 or 4 days of using these benzo's 2-3mg a day Im starting to feel hooked on them too. I just went about 8 hours without one and my legs and arms started shaking.
This is crazy. One minute I feel ok and the next im a wreck. PLEASE HELP. I feel so alone and dont know what to do. I feel like Im losing my mind.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2005, 12:08 AM   #2
(female)

beachdreamin' HB User
Re: Panic Attacks 10 Days After Quitting Marijuana PLEASE READ.

Pez--You sound like you need a reply so I thought I'd say hey! Anyways, it's great that you quit and want to be substance free. I just quit smokin' after chronic use but no panic attacks. Although I am on Zyban cause I wanted to quit cigs but still smoking those. Maybe that is taking the edge off, but I don't know. After quitting I started exercising cause I actually had motivation and that helps alot (never thought I'd say that as a former couch potato)!!

Do you have a regular doc that you see instead of the ER guys? Not that their bad, but you may want to talk to someone who specializes more in panic disorders, etc cause maybe something like an antidepressant (they are also used for panic disorder so don't freak out) would be better than getting hooked on benzos. Try not to refill and go from one substance to another cause those things can be very addicting as you already know. Another thought is that maybe you are overwhelmed by all the changes, etc. and keep thinking about the anxiety over and over. I do that once in a while and it sucks

Well, now I'm just rambling cause I'm tired but I think I'm now addicted to these messageboards. Uh-oh. Hang in there!! Later

Old 04-08-2005, 10:50 AM   #3
(male)

Lingo35 HB User

It is said that quitting marijuana is different from one another. Some people quit just fine, and some people struggle a whole lot. Its been 69 days for me since I had my last joint session with Mary Jane. It's sad w/out her, but life goes on and eventually you can get over her. Quitting weed is very much like breaking up with a girl friend...to get through it you got to be mentally tough. Hang in there and keep reminding yourself why you want to quit. When you start panicing, try to drink water and put your mind on something else. Watch your favorite tv show and relaaaxxx...take a hot bath, eat a nice desert,...anything tthat provides you some relief. Also Exercising helps with anxiety and stress....the more u sweat the more cleanse your are.

Good luck.

Old 04-08-2005, 11:36 AM   #4
(male)

AchingClean HB User

a few years ago when i stopped weed and booze, i went on paxil because i had panic issues and erratic moods and irritability. it really evened me out during that period, though i later weaned off it because it had other issues. for some people, your reaction is normal. you're not alone.

Old 04-08-2005, 12:06 PM   #5

Pez Dee Spencer HB User

Im gonna do my best not to take any of the pills today because my dad has been taking 6mg of xanax for years and I dont wanna be hooked like that. Its hard though. I woke up today feeling panic already I think its all in my head Ive convinced myself that im going to be a wreck and need a pill to prevent it. Ive had a pill "hangover" for the past 4 days from taking these things and today Im not going to take any and hopfully Ill feel myself again tomorrow.
I told my girlfriend that I should just be a man and "suck it up" which is really what I need to do. I went through alcohol DT's on several occaisions and this is not nearly as bad as that.
The bad part is that with the DT's I KNEW they were going to go away but ive never had withdrawl from weed (if that is indeed what this is) and I dont know how long its gonna take till I feel better.
I guess Im just gonna do my best to tough out today and see what tomorrow is like. I do wish I could quit thinking about my breathing though.......

Old 05-31-2005, 04:57 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

t_411 HB Usert_411 HB Usert_411 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez Dee Spencer
Im gonna do my best not to take any of the pills today because my dad has been taking 6mg of xanax for years and I dont wanna be hooked like that. Its hard though. I woke up today feeling panic already I think its all in my head Ive convinced myself that im going to be a wreck and need a pill to prevent it. Ive had a pill "hangover" for the past 4 days from taking these things and today Im not going to take any and hopfully Ill feel myself again tomorrow.
I told my girlfriend that I should just be a man and "suck it up" which is really what I need to do. I went through alcohol DT's on several occaisions and this is not nearly as bad as that.
The bad part is that with the DT's I KNEW they were going to go away but ive never had withdrawl from weed (if that is indeed what this is) and I dont know how long its gonna take till I feel better.
I guess Im just gonna do my best to tough out today and see what tomorrow is like. I do wish I could quit thinking about my breathing though.......
--------
I've had anxiety for 2 years & about 5 months ago started having panic attacks. I used drugs a lot in the past (meth & extacy) & moved away (back in with parents) to get off it about 4 yrs ago.. (i'm 30 now) I was fine except for the normal withdrawl symptoms which sucks... But I think my drug use made me kind of paranoid in general which I never had b4 drugs & later turned into anxeity due to being stressed out or obsessing over something all the time. I just tried to deal with it & take xanax 2.5mg ONLY took xanax when I had an anxiety attack so, over that 2 years I probably took less than 100 xanax pills. Now, panic attacks! they are TERRIBLE. I understand where you're coming from with this & how easy it is to obsess over breathing, heart beat, swallowing & pretty much everything else that comes with panic attacks. I got to where I couldn't leave my house or drive ( i had my 1st panic attack while driving) so, now somehow I relate it to being in my car... Anyway, I feel xanax is not the way to go to get "better" from panic attacks or anxiety. It's a quick and temporary fix for it as far as helping you to relax but nothing more. When the xanax wears off the panic comes and goes till you get another one in you. I decided to go to the doctor (not the ER which i've been to 3 times over this) & tell them how I'm feeling & how it's effecting me & I want to get over it so, I can live my life... The doctor 1st gave me Zoloft 25MG for one week & then 50MG then on... It did VERY good on it. No panic or anxiety at all after my 1st week on it.. 3 weeks later I started talking WAY to fast & was too excited all the time. So, I stopped taking them. Another month went by & the panic came back so, I went to the Dr. again & got on Paxil 20MG 1st week then 40MG there on... Took my 1st paxil & had TERRIBLE side effects so, after 2 days stopped taking it & went to a different doctor who checked me out, talked with me, etc & said that he believes the other doctor put me on too many MG's before with zoloft & paxil due to my body size (5'4 107pounds). Since I did good on zoloft he thought I should try it again but less MG's. I'm now on 12.5mg zoloft & doing good. I had 2 panic attacks in the first week that I was able to make go away which is amazing for me to do! I read on the panic boards here to see how others with it dealt with panic & I tried the breathing techniques. IT HELPED! My panic attack stopped in under 30 or 40 seconds! I'm sure the zoloft has a lot to do with it too as I feel more relaxed but not drugged so to speak. So far zoloft is helping me not to obsess over weird things my body does like with the anxiety I feel like I can't breathe or swallow.. Now when it happens it comes then goes and that's it.. No thinking about it for hours, days, weeksssss...... which is how i used to be. I've only been on it since 5/20/05. For some people it takes 4 to 6 weeks before they feel better with it. Another thing that you need to know is that every person reacts different to every anti depressant (zoloft, paxil, prozac, etc..) so, it's a pain in the butt till you find the one that works for you but WELL WORTH every second of it when you do. Some of the meds cause more anxiety that you have already the first couple of weeks but it goes away after your body adjusts to it. Now, I have a xanax as back up just for the fear of not being able to handle my panic attacks which "in my mind" helps me just having it there. I haven't needed to take one yet since zoloft though..
Don't suffer longer than you have to with panic attacks.. It is a condition & it is treatable. See a doctor about it and in a month or so, you can be feeling better. Panic can come on for any reason.. For you it might be the sudden life change as far as stopping drugs. For me it was stress & obsessing over things in my body & life. Only take xanax when you can't handle the panic attack & try to get on an anti deressant which will help you.
Good luck & take care,
T.

Old 06-01-2005, 06:54 AM   #7
(female)

hpd HB User

I may be going out on a limb here, but here goes...Maybe, just maybe, the panic attacks/anxiety are from all of the emotional and mental stresses that you had used marijuana to escape from, or to at least take a mini-break from in the first place? I have been a ganja smoker for years so I understand the lifestyle. I'm fortunate because I don't seem to have the negative side effects many people experience and I've never felt out of control with it. As a matter of fact, just for ME (I am NOT giving advice here) it really helped me with the W/D's coming off of narcotics. I live in the Caribbean very close to Jamaica. There is a completely different mindset surrounding MaryJane in my culture, however I do understand that some people have a problem with it interfering in their life. I respect those that realize this and take action. I do know that it can supress a lot of stress and eventually that stress WILL resurface once you take the proverbial band-aid off. You HAVE to find an alternative stress relief like exercise or meditation, whatever works for you. You are doing a great job so keep up the good work and just remember, this is a crazy world we live in so remember to take a deep breath once in a while and slow down. Best of luck!

Old 07-17-2005, 10:23 AM   #8
(female)

Adopelesshoping HB User

Yep, only way I can handle withdrawals is ativan too...last time I did that took the ativan and then just tapered off. It is horrible what we are going through check my post adopelesshoping...andyhow...it sucks. I just called my sponsor and she said don't overanalyz and pray and do step one and go see my psychiatrist and don't overdiagnose. I was labled manic-depressive...but I think I just have an inabiltiy to cope or no ability to cope and panic anxiety disorder or panic attacks and obsessive compulsive thoughts...so I am diagnosing myself...but I am going to talk to a pych anyhow. I feel so on an island with this...myself thanks for the message...I thought no one else used ativan for that reason. It is like dope in a pill. And legal.

Old 08-02-2005, 11:49 AM   #9
(male)

SpencerK HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez Dee Spencer
Hello everyone. I am a 28 year old male. When I was 12 I started smoking cigarettes, marijuana, and drinking heavily. From about 14 on I was drinnking, and smoking weed every weekend till about 17 when things really started to pick up. Thats when I started drinking almost daily and getting super smashed everytime. The pot use was periodic during this time but two years ago I totally quit drinking and after about a week sober from booze I just had to have something so I hunted down some weed and have been smokin ever since.
For the past 2 years its been one big smoke fest. All day everyday. I quit smoking cigarettes about 8 months ago and after that I smoked even more. And we arent talking about some shwag stuff we are talking about prime kind buds that look like gumdrops they are so coated with resin.
Last year I started getting heart palpitations so I quit cigs but I still had them anyway. My weed smoking continued until about 10 days ago when I decided that I have had it. Im studying for a career now and on top of these palpitations weed smoking just wasnt fun anymore.
Before I continue let me say that for these past 10 days I have NEVER gone this long without some sort of substance in me whether it be weed or booze. I dont even use caffiene because of the palpitations.
The problem is that about 3 days ago I started feeling like I couldnt breathe. I became obsessed with it I was constantly gasping for air and this turned into HUGE panic attacks which I have had before especially when I quit drinking after a month long binge.
Anyway I went to the er because I couldnt breathe and they said it was anxiety. they didnt say from weed but I told them I had recently quit. I never thought weed was addictive like this but I may be wrong. before anyone says I may ahve been smokin someithing laced, I wasnt cause I knew who was growing it and he is a longtime trusted friend. They gave me a few ativan at the hospital and I have been taking them and they help but I am still a wreck.
I panic all day and I still think I cant breathe.
What am I going to do??? I was fine when I was still smoking dope. Could this be from weed??? OR am I just losing my mind??? This is not fun and I will never do any drugs again. I whish I didnt even have to take these ativans but without them I would be going completey crazy. Please give me some advice. Thanks.

Oh yeah and after only 3 or 4 days of using these benzo's 2-3mg a day Im starting to feel hooked on them too. I just went about 8 hours without one and my legs and arms started shaking.
This is crazy. One minute I feel ok and the next im a wreck. PLEASE HELP. I feel so alone and dont know what to do. I feel like Im losing my mind.

Hi Spencer,

My name is, eeerrr, spence.

I'm from the UK. I started smoking and drinking at the age of 14. I have smoked near-on every day since...

Well, 2 weeks ago I gave up the bud, solid, and now im getting the exact same panic attacks you are... have been to the hospital and they says its because of the gear... Had an ECG, this showd up fine.. But now i keep getting panic attacks... Its like im really struggling to breath.... Or if I do not make an effeort to breath, i wont... uh!

Its been two weeks since my last bit of weed, so im hopeing its just becuase after such a long time smoking (fags as well, which i gave up 1 month ago) it will die down after a while... If i go to the doc's he will put me on some meds (as you would put it) but i dont want that... im not comming off one thing to go stuck on another...

so, how long did yours last m8 ?

Are you still gettting them. any information woould be great.

thx.

Spence.

Last edited by SpencerK; 08-02-2005 at 01:07 PM.

Old 08-04-2005, 02:36 PM   #10
(male)

MIKEY6727 HB User

Hi
Mi Name Is Mike Im 22 And I Also Have Panic Attacks Aften Just Like You My Email Is [ please read and follow the posting rules - no emails ] If Some One Needs To Talk To Some One Like Me Ill Be Glad To HelP!

[ please read and follow the posting rules - no emails ]

[ Please read the posting rules which explain that offering or asking off board contact is not permitted. The boards are to be used for on board sharing, only. The email and private message features are turned off so that use of the message boards remain anonymous. The only contact you may make with members is to post on the board. ]

Last edited by moderator2; 08-04-2005 at 03:26 PM. Reason: please read and follow the posting rules - no emails

Old 12-08-2007, 10:49 PM   #11
(male)

stoneybaloaney HB User

I have had similar problems; horrible anxiety, my appetite is fine, though my hands tend to shake a lot. It is kinda annoying not really much i can do though or is there?
I am taking herbal supplements; im not a dirty hippie not yet at least.
The adderol i am prescribed to doesnt help since stimulants increase your anxiety level yet i am affraid to stop taking them altogether since i have been mildly depressed as well lately.
I am taking valerian root with passion flower and holy basil trinity blend. I think they should help ease my anxiety but i have been even more stressed since my add seems to have gotten worse since i quit smoking, can that happen? Though i did get 2 concusions about 4 months ago that really does not help since it is now thought that there is a connection between concussions and (memory loss, loss of attention, and depression).
Are there any natural alternatives that anyone has found useful?
I have a mildly addictive personality and i dont want to put much more into my body that doesnt need to.
I only gave up Weefer (weed+reefer) its my silly word, but anyways i only gave it up bc of my chronic bronchitois. (It is expected that bronchitos or respiptory diseases are expected to be a major killer of smoker by 2020 or somthing if i find the article i will post it again)
I am on day 12 of not smoking I have not been tempted to well once or twice but decided it wasnt worth it. I enjoy sitting by while my roomies blaze. ***** nuts. Sorry bout my spelling ijust feel dumb.

Old 12-08-2007, 11:20 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

legallyblondied HB User

i am a recovering alcoholic and have been sober 21 years.
When i first quit drinking i would panic and i would need a
drink or a tranqulizer to even me out. I think all drugs whether they be boos, wee, pain meds, anti depressants or
tranquilizers or drugs for panic all cause stress to the nervous
system. So we take one to replace the other that we suffered
panic from when we withdrew from it. My advise to you is
to find a physical sport you like to do and work the hell out
of yourself....dance, run basketball go to the gym and sweat
and work your body regularly. Also learn to meditate and
take up a form of Yoga ....all of this helps in releasing stress
from the nervous system....much better than a drug....and if this fails, take a part of a pill that will hold you together
for a time.....but realize that you will need to get off that
pill also.....the panic will go....i recently had surgery and
the anesthesia i took started panic for a while in me unitl
it worked its way out of my system......Good Luck Karen

Closed Thread