It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2005, 10:34 AM   #1
(male)

stilltrying HB User
Provigil, safe for addicts?

Hi all. I've been clean & sober for over 12 years. I've been on antidepressents
(lexapro and wellbutrin) for the last 2 years or so. After talking to my psych for a few seesions, it seems I have ADD as well...it's affecting my life negitively in a lot of areas. He prescribed ritalin, but I decided not to fill it because cocaine was a main drug of choice. I tried Strattera, but the side effects are scary. I've recently read a lot about Provigil and it seems that the potential for abuse is very low and I've been thinking about trying it (I have a script for it). I'm just a little wary. Anyone else have experience with it? Thanks.

Old 04-14-2005, 12:22 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Ellnyc HB User
Re: Provigil, safe for addicts?

Hi
I also have been in recovery for a # of years (16+), and when my psychiatist first put me on provigil I too was hesitant when I heard the word "stimulant", and it took a while for me to fill the RX. Later when I met with an addiction psycho-pharmacologist she told me it was OK, and that in fact she liked the drug very much. Because it does have "awake promoting activity", I think that vigilant compliance to dosage is always important for those of us in recovery. I have been on it for about one year now, and it does help slightly with my many fatigue and depression issues perhaps feeling an ever slight teeny "lift", but without the euphoria. Nothing at all like our old doc's in the past! I always say procceed with caution as each one of us can be slightly different or more sensitive to the same meds.
Do let us know what you decide.
Best!
Ell

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2005, 09:51 PM   #3
(male)

stilltrying HB User

Ell, thanks for your input. Unfortunately, my insurance company wouldn't approve it for ADD and to buy it online is really expensive, not to metion it feels kind of dope-fiend-ish. I'm looking at a that international anti-aging site (where I first saw Provigil) and there are all these nootropic, so-called "smart" drugs. They claim to be so harmless and really helpful in areas of focus, concentration and memory, but I don't know what to think. Do you know anyone who's had experience with such things? (Pyritinol, Piracetam, Aniracetam, etc.) Any thoughts are appreciated.

Old 04-21-2005, 05:42 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Ellnyc HB User

Hi Stilltrying~

Sorry, but I have no info about any of the other drugs you've mentioned. As far as I know, Provigil has been approved for narcolepsy and or MS related fatigue. I have alot of fatigue issues mostly related to my cancer treatments and chronic depression. I didn't know it was also used for ADD, perhaps that is why your insurance turned you down. ... off label use and all that. And yes, it is a super expensive drug, so that could have been another issue with your insurance co. Anyway, I do hope you find something that helps.

Best,
Ell

Old 04-22-2005, 08:48 AM   #5
Inactive

Twinlynn HB User

Ellny!!! Welcome back from Calif. I won't hijack this thread....and get off subject....but I just saw you name and had to say hi!! I'll check back when I can. xxx Lynn

Old 04-23-2005, 05:18 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Ellnyc HB User

Hi Lynn!!!!! So good to see you posting again. You are sounding really well! Sure did miss you and BF. Yes, no high-jacking threads for me either! I will write more another time.
Sending love to you and ALL!
Best love,
Ell

Last edited by Ellnyc; 04-23-2005 at 05:19 PM.

Closed Thread