It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2005, 12:11 AM   #1
(male)

Gr8fulGoldfish HB User
Purpose driven life - day 5

Day 5 - Seeing Life from God's view

First talks of how people define their life often with metaphors. Life is like a carousel, a roller coaster, a minefield.

Fox just said the missing bride-to-be was found in NM. She had been abducted, the family has spoken to her. I am going to stop and watch. I feel for the groom (and the bride, of course).

Actually fits in a little bit with what chapter was about (tests).

I am so happy, certainly didn't want another Scott Peterson situation.

Be back later.

Old 04-30-2005, 12:19 AM   #2
(female)

diva78 HB User
Re: Purpose driven life - day 5

Wow and here I thought you were sleeping while I was responding to you in your other thread! Not only are you up but your being enticed by Moulder and Skully huh? What part of the country are you from Gr8ful? I'm from the big D in Texas....
So what sort of prize do I win for guessing your occupation correctly? I'll take a complete year of online support and encouragement if its available! Or we can start with just tonight if you're not that big into committments!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2005, 12:25 AM   #3
(male)

Gr8fulGoldfish HB User

I am not watching a TV show, I am watching Fox News. A bride who was suppossed to be married today went missing from GA 2 days ago and they found her alive in NM. She had been abducted. Suspicion was starting to fall on the groom.

I am so happy for them!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Gr8fulGoldfish; 04-30-2005 at 12:33 AM.

Old 04-30-2005, 12:28 AM   #4
(female)

diva78 HB User

Well don't I feel like an idiot...but of course it is 2:30 and I just woke up and there's still sleep in my eyes! It will be funny when I revisit this in the morning and see what I wrote! OH well...I'm heading back to bed....glad to hear about the good news for the bride and the groom. Good night everyone~

Old 04-30-2005, 05:35 AM   #5
(male)

Gr8fulGoldfish HB User

Day 5 - Seeing Life from God's view (5 pages)

First talks of how people define their life often with metaphors. Life is like a carousel, a roller coaster, a minefield.

Quote from book:

"What is your view of life? You may be basing your life on a faulty life metaphor. To fulfill the purposes God made for you, you will have to challenge conventional wisdom and replace it with biblical metaphors of life."

"The bible offers 3 metaphors that teach us God's view of life: life is a test, life is a trust and life is a temporary assignment. These ideas are the foundation of purpose-driven living."

This chapter looks at the first two.

Life is a test

Quotes from book:

"We don't know all the tests God will give you, but we can predict some of them, based on the bible. You will be tested by major changes, delayed promises, impossible problems, unanswered prayers, undeserved criticism and even senseless tragedies."

" A very important test is how you act when you can't feel God's presence in your life. Sometimes God intentionally draws back and we don't sense his closeness."

"When you understand life is a test, you realize that nothing is insignificant in your life."

"The good news is that God wants you to pass the tests of life, so he never allows the tests you face to be greater than the grace he gives you to handle them."

Life on Earth is a Trust

"Our time on Earth and our energy, intelligence, opportunities, relationships and resources are all gifts from God that he has entrusted to our care and management."

"The bible says, "What do you have that God hasn't given you? And if all you have is from God, why boast as though you have accomplished something on your own?"

"Those who are entrusted with something valuable must show they are worthy of that trust"

"At the end of your life on earth you will be evaluated and rewarded according to how well you handled what God entrusted to you. That means everything you do, even simple daily chores, has eternal implications.

This next quote is especially interesting to me.

"Most people fail to realize that money is both a test and a trust from God. God uses finances to teach us to trust him, and for many people, money is the greatest test of all.

"The bible says, "If you are untrustworthy about wordly wealth, who will trust you with the riches of heaven."" (personal note - OUCH)

This chapter is going to take some reflection on my part before I post.

Currently I keep thinking of this chapter in terms of the bizarre situation in GA.
Anyone see the tests that have been going on there?

But something I hear alot is "I am a good person when I am not using (hear from myself too). So we havent been doing well on some tests but all the good things we do have also been recorded.

When combined with previous chapter of God knowing our life before we were born, we are not doomed. We just need to start doing better with the tests and the trusts.

Closed Thread