It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2005, 08:12 PM   #1

Prickly Pear HB User
Help-My kid is huffing

Hi,

A few weeks ago, we found out my son was taking marijuana. Then we found out something much worse. He was huffing any and everything. He was into stuff called "duster". He already has some brain damage.,
We rushed him to the hospital and now he is in a residential treatment center.
He will be out in two weeks.
For now, he is safe where he is.

I have no idea how to deal with with his huffing. We are supposed to come up with a home plan for our son, but huffing, as far as I am concerned is a suicide attempt.

I can't find any resources on how to stop huffing. None. There are no support groups..nothing.

THe only way I think we can deal with the huffing is consider it to be a suicide attempt.
My husband says, "Well that is what he will be calling his sponsor for". It's just too serious.
I'm scared to death.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Linda

Last edited by Prickly Pear; 05-01-2005 at 08:13 PM.

Old 05-01-2005, 08:25 PM   #2
Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User
Re: Help-My kid is huffing

Did you do a ****** search? This is very serious because the damage can never be fixed. Would sending him to a camp for troubled teens be an option? I know there are drug rehab camps for teenagers. You never said his age so I am assuming. If he is an adult then that's a different story. I know in Hawaii there is a camp for drug addicts and it's a rehab however they take more of a military approach. I guess it depends on his brain damage to what will be best for him. There HAS to be somewhere where he can get help. Don't get discouraged...you do everything you can until you just don't have the strength. I would suggest your read more about huffing to get the facts and possibly go to nar-anon meetings to help you understand this better. You'll be in my prayers.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2005, 11:12 PM   #3
(male)

housemusiclover HB User

There is a program for youth in minnesota called hazeldon. It is a little pricy but it may be worth it. It is a 30 day highly supervised program and a aftercare program is usually recomended that is based around the specific needs of the patient. I believe the cut-off age is twenty-two, so if he's younger than that he would probably make a good canidate. It is not a rough place and they would put him in a group with people his age. When I was younger(about 14 or 15) I huffed things like glade and that lead to marijuana use and eventually the use of cocaine, ecstasy, hallucinagenics and other things. Finally, at age 19, I was caught with some cocaine by the police and my lawyer recomended I check into rehab. I did not want to go, but looking back on it, it was one of the best things that ever happened to me. But, in the end, he has to make the decision for himself to get clean. There are support groups for parents that can be helpful for you all as well. Being young can be tough, If you all remember, but there's always a solution. It may be a long road ahead, but hang in there, change takes time. God bless.

Old 05-02-2005, 04:09 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

goddessgrl65 HB User

God bless you and your son/family..
Im sorry to hear about your sons issues-its so frightening..the huffing has always been a mystery to me.. i don't know much about it-except you must be devastated..
But-you have him in a safe place..and i agree-he is going to need help when he gets out-a 30-90 day program...try and keep the communication open..
Im sorry..i wish i knew more about this topic..
I am a mother..my son is out of his teens-but it wasn't long ago-
what do the docs say???
ggrl

Old 05-02-2005, 05:21 AM   #5
(female)

bent_halo HB User

just a quick bit of info that may help you...."Dusters" as they are called, will "huff" anything in an aresol can, they seem to prefer Duster, which is consentrated air, used mainly to dust or clean out your computer keyboard, and is sold at wal-mart, target etc, also, paint, freeon(sp) used to recharge air conditioners, basiclly anything in an aresol can as well as airplane glue or any solvent...this may seem strange, but if you went to your local wal-mart, and asked to see a manager, they have a list of things not sold to anyone under the age of 27, strictly due to their potential for abuse, this also includes white out and Milk pens.

It may help you, to be able to get these things out of your home, so when your son comes home, there won't be anything to trigger him, also, you will know what to look for, if he asks for a specific item, you will be aware this can harm him.

I wish you all the best in finding treatment for him, my 17 yr old daughter has a friend in and out of rehab for the same addiction.

Angel

Old 05-02-2005, 06:34 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Just some added info I think you need to be aware of.all of the nasty bad things that can possibly be "huffed",also are highly toxic to the kidneys and liver.I am assuming that the facility he is currently at has already checked his liver enzymes and kidney functions,but if they have not, depending on just how long this has been going on,you might want to have some labs run on his blood.It just involves a simple blood draw and you can find out the results within a matter of hours or days depending on where the tests are done.I am wishing you and your son all the best on his recovery,FB

Old 05-02-2005, 10:26 AM   #7

Nervous Nellie HB User

Computer cleaning dusters use a compressed-gas in a liquid form to function as a propellant. NOT air as most people think. It is this compressed-gas that generates the cleaning blast when the nozzle trigger is pulled.

"Dusters" are not compressed air. They are usually comprised of a lot of potent chemicals that are damaging to one's brain cells.

How old is your son? What is his history?

Nellie

Closed Thread