It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2005, 07:58 PM   #1
(female)

daqa HB User
Unhappy Paxil Withdrawal

hi all-is anyone else here going through or have gone through paxil withdrawal? I am currently withdrawing from it and I feel like dying! I'm having all the listed ssri withdrawal symptoms and I am having some major manic-depressive episodes.laughing and then crying fits then I feel fine
I'm exhausted then I want to remodel the house. I am going through some major physical symptoms too-the worst are the migraines, nausea , DIZZINESS, diarrhea , lack of appetite. I often feel 'detached' from reality and am having an extremely hard time speaking intelligently my thoughts are scattered and I'm so irritable. I'm very confidant that the psychological symptoms are not a relapse of my mental problems because I didn't have those symptoms before I went on the ssri's. I went on for depression. I am wondering if it possible to get off ssri's or am I now a slave?
on a side note-it really pisses me off that pharmaceutical companies and the FDA can get away with giving us these ssri's with these horrible withdrawal effects yet marijuana is illegal. I have successfully quit smoking ciggarettes, pot and quit cocaine with absolutely NO withdrawal effects other than better health yet an fda approved drug has been holding me hostage
any suggestions on how to alleviate these symptoms?

The following user gives a hug of support to daqa:
patti826 (08-24-2011)
Old 07-26-2005, 08:01 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

viking55803 HB User
Re: Paxil Withdrawal

Paxil withdrawal has been largely ignored by the medical establishment. I think the main reason is that the other SSRI's (Prozac, Zoloft etc.) do not have dramatic withdrawal effects like Paxil. What you are experiencing is very real, and it is undoubtedly Paxil withdrawal. Many withdrawing Paxil users report getting the "zaps," a feeling like an electric shock running through your whole body.

Fortunately, there is a solution if you can get a physician to cooperate. What I would suggest is using a low dose of Prozac (10 to 20mg per day) for 2 to 3 weeks. The Prozac should eliminate the Paxil withdrawal symptoms and then you can stop taking the Prozac without difficulty. In any case, this is a safe option to explore and may give you significant relief.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2005, 05:00 PM   #3
(female)

daqa HB User

thanks for the input viking! I have been considering that as a very possible avenue. I do know about the electrical shocks-I got them after withdrawing from zoloft a while back.I had to give in last night and take a 20mg dose of that damned paxil.I started experiencing a severe psychotic episode which was very scary.I almost checked into the hospital! needless to say I am cool as a cucumber today. I feel like a failure for giving in though. anyway-I picked up some 5-htp today and I'm going to see if I can ward off the withdrawal symptoms with it. If I am not successful I will ask my psych for prozac.this sux! it's unbearable. I'd rather be withdrawing from a more "fun" drug just kidding-been there already not about to do that again! anyway-thanks again for the help!

Old 07-26-2005, 05:16 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Constant HB User

Paxil is a horrible drug to withdrawal from. Things that may help...

Plenty of water
Hot baths
walking (hard to get motivated but helps)
massage (costly unless you got a friend who will do it)
Talk, talk, talk (get those feelings into words and out of your head...call people who will let you spew your feelings and fears)

Hang in there.

Old 07-27-2005, 06:37 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

viking55803 HB User

Unfortunately, even tapering gradually off the Paxil doesn't seem to eliminate the problems but getting relief from a single dose is pretty much proof that what you are experiencing is Paxil withdrawal. This is really sad, since Paxil is an effective drug and is not addictive in the way illicit drugs & tranquilizers are. Nevertheless, one should be able to get off of it without going nuts!

Old 07-27-2005, 07:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

hrtofluv HB User

Can I ask how long you were on Paxil for you to have such a profound withdrawal?
What you were using it for - anxiety or depression?
When the doc suggested it to me - I thought it would be a life-long drug like my thyroid medicine. What is the reasoning for going on the drug and then going off?
Sorry if I sound dumb - just never been in a situation like this.
And know that I sure wish you the best!

Old 07-27-2005, 06:04 PM   #7
(female)

daqa HB User

hi guys! thanks for all the feedback and support! (hugs) ok here's the story and it's long so relax and put your feet up..lol

ok I was originally put on zoloft 4 years ago for post partum.it worked great! I was also finally formally dx'd with fibromyalgia so the doc gave me notriptyline too it helped a bit, but for the first time in 25 years I was serene! 2 years later the zoloft just wasn't doing anything, we increased it and still nothing.so we tried tapering me off and what a horror show! the doc advised me to stay on it cuz he thought it was the depression relapsing-it was the withdrawal!! so I stayed on it cuz I couldn't bear the withdrawal. 2 years after that(now 4 years later) after getting progressively worse with depression and all I decided to start seeing a therapist again. I have suffered from major depression and borderline personality disorder along with PTSD all my life and for years saw a therapist but I hadn't seen one for a long time before starting up again.well, my new therapist advised me to see a psych for meds instead of my primary doc..that was my first mistake! the new Pdoc took me off zoloft and we tried other ssri's to no avail.she also took me off nortriptyline which was at least some kind of pain relief and put me on trazadone for the pain(useless!)I got switched to a different Pdoc and he put me on paxil and seroquel(for sleep and still no pain relief!) a little over a year ago and initially it helped with the panic but it too wore off and now I'm just sleeping all day and I have zero desire for sex-in my teens and early twenties up until zoloft- I was to put it politely, very sexually alive. well I told the Pdoc that I just want to be off ssri's and try other meds he agreed and we started tapering me from 40mg of Paxil and eventually I got to 10mg and that's when the nightmare started! sweating, nausea, migraines, insomnia, rage, anxiety, crying/laughing, mania, confusion...so on.. well I figured that I was probably at a dose that wasn't big enough to regulate serotonin anymore so I just stopped at 10mg and figured that maybe if I just get it out of my system it would speed up withdrawal and didn't take anymore and it has been progressively worse until 2 nights ago(I think) I was crying uncrontrollably, having heart palpitations, and then I had a full blown psychotic episode..hallucinations both visual and auditory and I had a severe panic attack-my husband said that's it! take 20mg and get an appointment with the doc.I yook the damned pill and I was almost euphoric after but it was that or check into the hospital! well, yesterday I picked up some 5-htp cuz I still really want to be off these useless ssri's and I took 100mg before bed and it has helped a bit in controlling the severe symptoms-someone suggested prozac and I was actually already considering it because I've read that it is a more milder ssri and that the withdrawal is much less severe, and I would really like to get off the ssri's to see if I can in fact live without them.so I am going to ask my doc for it. I also want to get off seroquel and put on either something just for the pain and insomnia.seroquel is an anti psychotic and other than the paxil withdrawal-I have never ever had any psychotic episodes in my life.It really bugs me that they put you on meds that aren't specifically for treating the ailment-like they prescribe xanax for insomnia-why not just a sleeping pill? why always a psychotropic med for everything?? ugh anyway-I just want to treat the symptoms that I do have with the appropriate med for it. in 5+ years of suffering from severe muscular pain and migraines no doc has ever just treated my pain-they always jump to an anti anxiety or something.I'm not anxious I'm in pain! well, sorry it was a novel! but hey, you asked! LOL

Old 07-27-2005, 06:17 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

twizliz HB User

I too am going off of Paxil. In the past year I went from 10mg to 60 mg a day. I gained 30 pounds and don't feel all that much better.

My dr and I decided that it would be good for me to start weaning off of it. Unfortunatly the timing isn't that great. Today I started a new job (as an editor of a newspaper--- which I'm SO happy about.. but still) and I am also losing my health insurance from my other job at the end of July and won't be able to get on the paper's insurance until October.

Last Friday I started taking 40 mg a day. I have been feeling pretty good.. a little more panicky- but nothing too major. I have been having some problems with my stomach and head... but I think that it may be due in part to the stress of starting a new job.

A coworker told me that her first four weeks off of it were great, then it was horrible. I don't know if I should believe her or not, because she treats everything as a disaster and from what I've heard, the first four weeks are the worst.

Does anybody know?

Old 07-27-2005, 06:56 PM   #9
(female)

daqa HB User

her first 4 WEEKS off it??? are you sure she didn't mean 4 days?? because after about 3 days withdrawal sarts to escalate and gets worse..all I can say to you is I sincerely hope you have an easier time of withdrawing than I am. but if you can't cope-take 50mg of 5-htp 3 times a day and increase until you feel better. and then stick with that dosage for a couple months and then taper off from that.I have heard other people say that this is what they had to do to get off paxil unless they went to a milder ssri and tapered from that. I am going to be doing the latter-I really hope for the best for you and big congrats on the new job!!

Old 07-27-2005, 07:46 PM   #10
(male)

payton HB User

how many mg's are you coming off of and how long were you on it.

Old 07-28-2005, 07:38 PM   #11
(female)

daqa HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by payton
how many mg's are you coming off of and how long were you on it.
I started coming off of 40mg I was on it for a little over a year. I've been taking 20 mg the past few days because I just couldn't deal with it anymore. I am going to ask my psych to put me on a low dose of prozac instead.Im thinking I won't be getting off ssri's for a while

Old 07-29-2005, 03:49 PM   #12
(female)

marew HB User

I withdrew from paxil about 7 years ago after taking it for 3 months. I believe I was taking twice the lowest dosage. I was experiencing numbness in my jaw, just like novicain. The first time I stopped, I started experiencing 'shocks' in my head. They were terrible. They came when I opened my eyes, whenever I moved my eyes in their sockets. I decided I had to come off and decided to do whatever I had to. The shocks lasted between one and two weeks, diminishing a little each day. If I had been told this might happen, I would never have taken it.

Closed Thread