It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2005, 10:40 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Halls HB User
I posted this on the headache board, need help!

For the past few years I have taken Tylenol PM at bedtime to help me sleep. Since December of 2004 I have been taking Advil daily for sinus pressure. Well, my pain has gotten worse and in the past month I have started to get migraines and severe headaches that last all day. I saw a Neurologist yesterday who told me that the Advil and Tylenol PM can make Migraine like symptoms if I am taking them like I have been for pain and told me to stop all of it right away. So, today is day one off all of the Advil and Tylenol and I didn't sleep last night and my head hurts so bad. She did put me on Topomax which i started yesterday and it is helping and she gave me some Relpax for severe headache if i need it. Also, she told me to start taking B 6 and Magnessium which i have started as well.

So I'm wondering if all my burning, throbbing, headache pain is caused by my own stupidity of taking Advil at large doses all day long and taking the Tylenol at night for years now and it all has caught up with me?

Now that I am going to get it all out of my system I wonder how long before my body adjust to not having it there and the pain in my head relaxes. The Neurologist did say that I sounded like I am having a chronic migraine all over my face and head, but may be self induced. We will see. I just feel so dumb. I had so much sinus pain after I had my second sinus surgery my ENT told me I could take up to 4 Advil at a time if my stomach allowed for the inflammation. Well, i went down to taking 1 and sometimes 2, but never stopped taking it cause when i would i would start to feel pain again and need it. I didn't think you could get addicted to over the counter pain killers but I guess I did. So, now I am off and my head is splitting, hurting, throbbing, burning, aching and I am so mad at myself.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2005, 11:22 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Constant HB User
Re: I posted this on the headache board, need help!

Halls,

I am unfamiliar with withdrawal from advil and tylenol pm. Call a pharmacist and speak to them about it. They can give you all the information regarding possible detox from these medications.

I do know that being on them can cause what they call a rebound headache but other then that I don't have any information.

Good luck. Let us know how you do.

Old 08-02-2005, 09:13 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

sk777 HB User
Re: I posted this on the headache board, need help!

Hey fellow migraine sufferer! I think the rebound headache should only last a few days at most.

As for the Tylenol PM, it has antihistamine in it, which I know can also cause rebound sinus pressure, but also only for a few days I think (in my experience).

I think the Topamax takes a while to kick in, I tried to take that to prevent migraines, I think they said up to a month of being on it.

If that doesn't work for you, I've had some success with being on a low dose of one of the tricyclic antidepressants, for me, 25 mg of nortriptylin (I know I spelled that wrong) at night not only helps me sleep!! (makes you a little drowsy) but has helped w/ the migraines a little, and sciatica a lot. And nortryp is way cheaper (generic) if you have to pay for it. I've also tried beta blocker to prevent migraine but that hasn't worked so well, but I know that helps a lot of people. Another one is neurontin, also helps with neuropathic pain if that is your issue, and will totally knock you out at night.

I'm sure your doc warned you that topamax has a lot of side effects, I'm really sensitive and couldn't stay on it. I hope that you are able to take it and that it helps you. As for the headaches now, hang in there. Headaches and migraines are horrid.

Closed Thread