It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2005, 06:47 PM   #1

Cryptic HB User
Drug that causes Hallucinations?

Hi,

I have a friend who has been under the influence of drugs for past few months, but we do not know what drug it is.

The most noticeable symptom is his hallucinations. He sees/talks to people that are not there.

Anyone know what drug this might be? We suspect it to be crack cocaine, but would this be a symptom of crack?

Old 08-12-2005, 07:11 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Constant HB User
Re: Drug that causes Hallucinations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic
Hi,

I have a friend who has been under the influence of drugs for past few months, but we do not know what drug it is.

The most noticeable symptom is his hallucinations. He sees/talks to people that are not there.

Anyone know what drug this might be? We suspect it to be crack cocaine, but would this be a symptom of crack?
Yes, but only if it sends him into a psychotic episode.

More realistic possibilities are PCP, LSD or cough medicine drank in large amounts.

Last edited by Constant; 08-12-2005 at 07:12 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2005, 07:26 PM   #3

Cryptic HB User

This does happen in episodes, but frequent ones. A few times a day.

He also sees objects which are not there. IE, he points at a non-existing bookshelf and asks for a book.

Old 08-12-2005, 09:25 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

thghtsreal HB User

It is possible that he fried his brain on drugs. Once you get the wires crossed, you can have hallucinations even without taking drugs. These episodes can happen any time, any place - even years after being clean.

I know a guy who had a bad LSD trip 20 years ago and he still has hallucinations when he leasts expects them.

Another possibility is that he could be having withdrawals, but it is doubtful he could go through that on a continuing daily basis.

Last edited by thghtsreal; 08-12-2005 at 09:26 PM.

Old 08-13-2005, 06:49 PM   #5

Cryptic HB User

hallucinations are possible from crack withdrawal?

Old 08-13-2005, 07:17 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Constant HB User

Quote:
I don't see where on this thread that was stated. I mentioned that crack use can throw someone into a drug induced psychosis.

As far as hallucinations from crack withdrawl, I honestly don't know.

Old 08-13-2005, 07:33 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

thghtsreal HB User

Quote:
That is an interesting question, so I did some research. Apparently, crack use itself can lead to hallucinations, especially if the crack user has not had much sleep and is "sketched out".

I found some references to hallucinations from crack withdrawal, but it does not seem as prevelant as in withdrawal from other drugs such as alcohol.

Old 08-15-2005, 12:18 AM   #8
(male)

pjcat HB User

Cryptic,

There are several drugs which cause hallucinations, they are known as hallucinogens. These include mushrooms, LSD, peyote, and yes even marijuana. They cause distortions in time, space, and perception. But, from what you are describing I wouldn't say your friend is on them. To start with though they are labelled as such, one doesn't tend to hallucinate so much as ones reality gets distorted. Like for instance while on acid, you would see geometric patterns on surfaces, colors would change, and things would get fluid and morph together. But these aren't actual hallucinations (i.e you wouldn't see a bookcase that wasn't there, rather you would see a bunch of patterns morphing into things). Now there is one exception: it is called Jimson Weed -its the most powerful hallucinogenic substance on Earth (its also extremely toxic and known to be fatal). But, you would know if your friend was on it -he would be totally delerious. From what you are describing, I would say it probably is related to withdrawal of some kind. I have honestly never heard of anyone hallucinating on crack withdrawal -even with lack of sleep. And I would be careful with taking information off the net as alot of it is innacurate. You could call a detox facility and ask them. I know there is something called ampheteme (sorry can't spell right now) Psychosis where the user approaches a state of paranoia and delerium but I'm not sure if they actually see things which aren't there.

Old 08-15-2005, 07:24 PM   #9
(female)

Mojo255 HB User

Are you sure its drugs and not adolecent schizophrenia?

Old 08-15-2005, 11:04 PM   #10
(male)

pjcat HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo255
Are you sure its drugs and not adolecent schizophrenia?
Valid Point Mojo.

Cryptic,

Does your friend complain of hearing voices which aren't there? Or appear to talk to people that aren't there. These are generally early symptoms of schziophrena.

Last edited by pjcat; 08-15-2005 at 11:12 PM. Reason: info

Old 08-17-2005, 04:44 PM   #11

Cryptic HB User

No he's not schizophrenic (he is 50 years old). We are quite sure that it is some kind of drug based on his actions and the amount of money he spends.

He does, infact, go through days without sleeping a wink. And we THINK he might be using crack cocaine because he had talked about it before hand.

I just can't find anything that links hallucinations like the ones he has with crack. Is there anyway that crack, coupled with insomnia, causes a person to hallucinate this serverely?

Old 08-17-2005, 04:46 PM   #12

Cryptic HB User

actually, is there anyway that crack can trigger schizophrenia?

Old 08-17-2005, 07:49 PM   #13
(male)

pjcat HB User

Quote:

Hmmm, not to my knowledge. Long-term heavy usage of heavy hallucinogens such as LSD or Jimson Weed can cause a disorder known as HPPD (Which though I forget what it stands for, it basically causes distortions in reality 24/7) which is different from schizophrena. As far as crack goes I doubt it could cause schizophrenia, though it can induce a state of psychosis.

Even though your friend has talked of crack, have you thought he might be doing meth? To be honest the symptoms your describing sound more in tune with meth usage than it does crack usage if he is on drugs.

Generally with schizophrenia you have to have a genetic disposition to it.

Cheers

Old 08-17-2005, 07:50 PM   #14
(male)

pjcat HB User

Quote:

Hmmm, not to my knowledge. Long-term heavy usage of heavy hallucinogens such as LSD or Jimson Weed can cause a disorder known as HPPD (Which though I forget what it stands for, it basically causes distortions in reality 24/7) which is different from schizophrena. As far as crack goes I doubt it could cause schizophrenia, though it can induce a state of psychosis.

Even though your friend has talked of crack, have you thought he might be doing meth? To be honest the symptoms your describing sound more in tune with meth usage than it does crack usage if he is on drugs.

Generally with schizophrenia you have to have a genetic disposition to it.

Cheers

Closed Thread