It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2005, 09:34 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

jewel1060 HB User
Exclamation Has Anyone Come Off Suboxone Ok-help

I've posted before under subutex tapering. My doc wants to take me off. I am currently on 2mg. Total time on a little over a month. I am hearing so many different stories ( mostly horror) I was on oxy's for 1 1/2 years. Tried to come off the subutex after 2 wks - severe w/d's, doc put me back on.
With a new doc now, didn't say when he is taking me off completely , its a weekly visit ( is that commom???) Any help on what to expect would be greatly appreciated. Feeling like I traded one addiction for another like so many others - feel defeated -HELP!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2005, 09:58 AM   #2

tony_b HB User
Re: Has Anyone Come Off Suboxone Ok-help

HI there Jewel,

I have been on subs for 2 years now and am starting to wean verrrry slowly! I know that you cannot just come off of 2 mg and not expect any w/d's. Ask goddessgirl as she has been tapering for a while now! I think she is taking like .05mg. She told me the hardest part is when you get to the 2 mg mark of the tapering process but I have not made it that far yet! Good luck and I hope this helps!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2005, 10:40 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jewel1060 HB User
Exclamation Re: Has Anyone Come Off Suboxone Ok-help

thank you tony b- I am having a very hard time - especially now that my doc has switched me to suboxone ( as opposed to subutex). I was doing much better on those. I'm due to see him tomorrow. Has anyone else experienced a problem with the switch. I am naseuos, no appetite & weak but I dont want to go up in dose if I dont have to , was on a lower dose of subutex and felt ok. Do you know the taper plan - or is everyone different? Thanks again Also goddess girl , any input from you would also help!!!

Last edited by jewel1060; 08-21-2005 at 10:42 AM.

Old 08-22-2005, 05:42 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

goddessgrl65 HB User

hi jewel-
How are you..
I want you to not worry so much..
You have opted for a short detox plan..
Excellent move..
sometimes i feel like i should have taken that route..
well actually i did..but kinda messed up/got scared and went for the maitainence.
My husband made a good point the other day in regards to suboxone w/d and tapering.
He said:"you are basing your experience on what you read"..in other words..
I keep getting scared about coming off..cos of all the "horror stories"..i mean we all know its not gonna be a walk in the park..(too bad..right?)
We all are going to have a differant experience..of course there are similarities..i think women in general are more sensitive to w/d..the emotional aspect..we have cycles/etc..that are changeable..
But as you look around-some step off w/ no problem(esp. short term)
My hubby is much more active in his step down..skipping a couple days each week-and says its really not so bad..
So- i guess my advice is to keep on-your drs. plan of tapering and if you really feel that you are having trouble or fear relapse..make sure you discuss this w/ him..
i hope this helps..
we can all do this..
ggrl

Last edited by goddessgrl65; 08-22-2005 at 05:50 AM.

Old 08-22-2005, 05:56 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

goddessgrl65 HB User

Oh yeah..forgot to add-don't jump at 2 mgs..taper from there..also-ive heard switching to subutex at the end-is better..due to no naloxone..
Why did your doc go from subutex to suboxone?Just wondering..?
Going from 2 mgs to 1 mg was tough mentally more than physically..for me.
If you just keep nibbling a tiny piece from your daily dose you'll get there w/no real problems physically.
2 mgs is still a good dose..
i look at 2 mgs as my perfect dosage now..where i felt really good-minus the side effects of aches/migraines etc.
ggrl

Old 08-27-2005, 05:55 PM   #6
(female)

sydb HB User

Hi! I am new here. I've been on subutex for 7 months and am on 1 mg. I started on 16 mg. I tried to come off last week when I was on 2 mg b/c I am pg. I had a hard time and went down to 1 mg. I am going to a doctor on Monday to see about an anti-depressant. I've heard that they help with the w/d from subutex/suboxone. I just moved from California to AL 3 wks ago and don't have a subutex doc. here. The waiting list here is about 3 mos. so I am just going to try and get off. I have a couple of months worht of Rx but want to discontinue the subutex since I am pregnant. I've had a hard time b/c I have felt like using lately and am scared. I had trouble sleeping and was aching when I tried to stop last weekend. I didn't take any for about 2 days. Then called my doc in CA and told them what was going on and they said to tapper more. Syd B

Old 08-28-2005, 12:36 AM   #7

tony_b HB User

Hi syd & welcome to the forum! I recommend that you read all of the posts as far as suboxone/subutex is concerned. I don't have much experience w/subutex, but I am farely certain that the w/d's produced from tapering are fairly subtle compared to a full blow opiate agonist. I know it won't be a "walk in the park" so to speak but I believe that this medicine is truly extraordinary! I have read that you must taper VERY SLOWLY so 1mg of subutex is really too much to just quit c/t without any side effects. I don't know if you are able to "shave" the pill down and do that for several weeks but I would definately try it! I hope this helps and EVERYONE IS here for you!

Old 08-28-2005, 11:06 PM   #8
(female)

Royalsecret HB User
My husband's been off Subutex for 20 days!

Hi Jewel and Syd. How are you both doing on the Sub? I wanted to give you my husband Ed's Subutex taper schedule. It worked very well for him. Please keep in mind that while he was tapering he was off work so he was able to have go thru a 'bad day' while he was tapering without having to worry about working. If he had to be at work during the taper process, he would have done it slightly more slowly.

We believe that the key to a successful sub taper is to taper down very low, and take the time to stabilize at each dose before tapering again. Sub is extremely POWERFUL and to be respected. Also, be prepared to feel each taper a day or two, and just remember that once you stabilize you will feel better again, until the next taper....It does sometimes seem like it's endless, but as you can see below, it can have a happy ending!

He was on Subutex for 47 days. He was coming off a 320+ mg a day Oxycontin habit for five years, and before that 5 years of daily hydrocodone use. If it was up to his sub doc he'd still be taking 16 mg of Subutex a day...

2 days at 24 mg
5 days at 16 mg
5 days at 12 mg
4 days at 8 mg
5 days at 6 mg
4 days at 4 mg
3 days at 3 mg
10 days at 1 mg
3 days at .50 mg
3 days at .25mg
3 days at .12

Today is Ed's 20th day off of the Sub! He's doing great! He tried to stop the sub when he was day 1 at .25 but when he got to the 30 hour mark of no sub, he started having bad w/d's - nothing like the oxycontin w/d's, but bad enough that he said he wanted to taper down even more.

He tapered for another week and then he stopped at .12 mg (you will need a pill cutter and a steady hand). We truely though he would go thru 4-5 days of w/d's...but he didn't!!!! He slept that first night just fine and that awful depressed restless feeling filled with anxiety and heebie jeebies never came! He must have had already gone thru that during his previous tapers.

I, just like you, read so many horror stories that I wanted Ed to get off the sub after the first week on it! I realize now that would NOT have been the way to go. He really needed the time on the sub for him to distance himself from the daily habit of taking that Oxycontin.

Even though tapering down on Subutex was no picnic, we still believe Sub is a MIRACLE DRUG - Ed would NEVER have been able to taper off the Oxycontin and he would NEVER have been able to go cold turkey voluntarily...the Sub did it's job perfectly.

I have recently read several success sub taper stories of people who have been on sub for a couple of months and tapered down, and then stopped and didn't have any bad side effects other then a few days of feeling blah, no energy, but that's as bad as it got. Ed's cravings have not come back either, oh he says he misses the 'good mood' the oxy created, but he has no desire at all to actually take any oxy - he went thru WAY to much to go down that road again!

Good luck to you both! RoyalSecret

Last edited by Royalsecret; 08-28-2005 at 11:13 PM.

Closed Thread