It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2005, 12:13 AM   #1
(male)

polarisrider HB User
Question Suboxone Taper What am I up against?

I have just joined this board I have found it tonight while online trying to get some info ...Here is my short story 3 yrs of Hydro Abuse 20-30 10/325"s a day then I found the magic drug Suboxone and now I need to kick that habit I live in the Seattle area and there are few doc"s who perscribe suboxone I got lucky and found a great doctor and I have started a 8 week intensive outpaintent recovery/treatment program to hopefully figure out why I do what I do ??? Here is my Question for all of the experts out there I have been on 20 mg. per day of Suboxone and have relized yesterday I am going to run very short on my perscription before I see my doctor next wendsday ..Typically in the past when I have had this happen I call my doc and he calls in enough to the pharmacy to get me by but this time I really did it he is on vacation until the day of my next appointment on the 31st.???
So what I have done is figured out how much I have left and split it up evenly to get me through next week but I am having to go down to 4mg. per day thats all I have left and that is figuring none the last day and a half before I see him ,,,What should I expect ??Any Advice would be greatly appreciated I have no one but my self to blame !!! I just don"t know what to expect ? I don"t want to relapse back to hydro"s it"s been to long and I feel to good to give up all I have accomplishied..Any Help,Advice..Will be greatly appreciated ...I just need to remember on day at a time !!!!This is a great place to get information I have it book marked and will be back often to help and learn in whatever way I can....Thanks ...Polarisrider

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2005, 02:10 AM   #2
(female)

Royalsecret HB User
Re: Suboxone Taper What am I up against?

Hi polarisrider. Going from 20 mg to 4 mg a day is a pretty large taper so you will very likely feel it. You probably won't feel it until the 2nd or 3rd day, then you'll probably start feeling crappy, sweats, leg twitching, heebie jeebies, etc...but if you lucky you may be able to stablize fairly quickly, meaning one or two days. If you are able to do that my advice is to STAY at the 4 mg a day! 20 mg is a VERY HIGH daily dose.

My husband was taking oxycontin 320 mg a day for 5 years, and he went on sub, stabilized at 16 mg and tapered down to .12 mg and jumped off with no w/d's at all. He was on the sub for a little over 40 days and has been off it for almost three weeks.

I have spent over 100 HOURS reseraching stories of people on sub and what they have gone thru getting off sub. Many horror stories of people whose doctors never told them 'less is more' and the doctors had absolutely NO IDEA how POWERFUL SUB IS!!!

Ed, my husband, tried to stop taking sub at .25 mg, and had pretty bad w/d's on the 2nd day so he tapered down further to .12 mg a day (think of 1 8 mg pill cut 32 times!) and then when he stopped he was fine. Sub is EXTREMELY POWERFUL and 20 mg a day is a high dose. The quicker you can taper the easier it will be for you.

I have read and my husband experienced that once you get down to 2 mg and under, it gets tougher to continue tapering, but only for a day or two, then you stabilize and start to feel normal again, then in another few days, taper down again, etc., until you can just stop w/o getting any bad w/d's.

Good luck and let us know how it goes! RoyalSecret

Old 08-25-2005, 05:37 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User

dude if ya drop down that much that quick you are gonna hurt no way about it so get ready.you were takin more than you should tryin to get the buzz werent ya.been there done that,i been on sub twice now back in 03 and again in 08-04 to 05-05 and neither time have been able to get off the sub cause of w/ds and the last time on it i worked the program to a tee.some can get off it fine and most cant.mostly depends if ya want to make it work and also if ya dont have to work when ya get off it.if you have to work when you get off sub most likely you will turn back to the pills.good luck-spark

Old 08-25-2005, 05:59 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

goddessgrl65 HB User

Hi..
been on sub for quite a while..
can you tell me how much you have/for how long..and i can try to help you..w/ a basic taper..to keep you from hurting as much as possible..
Did you run out..cos you took too much?
20 mgs..is alot of sub..you could go down to 8 mgs right away and be ok..
8 mgs is the standard blocking doseage..
ill try to help.
ggrl

Old 08-25-2005, 10:06 AM   #5
(male)

polarisrider HB User

Goddessgrl65

Yes I took to much during the month a little more here and there and it all adds up to being really short,thus the reason I entered the recovery treatment to get the help I need and learn why I do what I do ...stupid me .. As I explained in my original post I have 1 1/2 8 mg. tablet left after taking 4 mg. this morning,That needs to last me until next wensday or 1 week from now!!I am starting to feel really crappy when you say 8 mg. is a standard dose what do you meen by that?? How do you plan to help me? I am ready and willing to hear all suggestions from a much wiser person ..Thanks for all ...

Old 08-25-2005, 01:55 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User

polarisrider,i bought a victory bike about 5yrs ago and it was the biggest lemon i have ever seen and finally got the dealer to take it back with full refund but not without doin the court thing.i would say that all you are gonna be able to do with the pill that you have left is take it as your body tells you to and trust me it will.you do not have enough to sustain until next week so i hate to say it but if you cant take off work then about all you can do is suffer or get a few hydros or darvocets or ultrams in order to function until you get the refill.there will be no buzz and it will not send you into immediate w/d but you will be able to function at work.do this as a last resort only but if you are on 20mgs sub per day, then should you have to take a few pills here and there to get by then when you get the refill you will have enough sub to get the hydro out of your system it takes about 2weeks then you can go back to workin the program.im not tellin ya to go use but you have to get by one way or another so you will have to make the choice.just dont let this happen again cause when you use the opiates then go back to sub again and again the brain doesnt know what to do and it made me feel like i was goin nuts.one time will not hurt if you must do this but try to tough it out.what kind of bike or 4wheeler do you have from polaris if i might ask.good luck and start makin a plan right now on what to do when you run out of sub,dont wait till the last minute.-spark

Old 09-06-2005, 06:13 PM   #7
(male)

polarisrider HB User
Smile Re: Suboxone Taper What am I up against?

Well on Sat. Aug. 27th I confronted my wife about my missuse of My Suboxone I was at 20 mg. a day started a rapid 2 day taper (Basically-Stopped) 4 mg. a day so on the 27th sat afternoon we took me to detox what a joke all they did was doped me up on libriam? I don"t know what it is but wow it puts you in a deeeeep foooog so on monday I quite taking it in detox and walked out I thought I was fine???? Today 9-06-05 I am up and about very little energy I would not advise this methed to "Any" one it has been the worst week of my life W/D"s were terrible I finially was able to go to sleep last night first time in 5 days after libriam wore off I was just starting to withdrawls when I checked myself out of detox I took about 4-5 HOT!!!! Showers a day and layed in bed and sweated it all out and had terrible leg cramps I lost 14 lbs. And the head games withdrawl has on you Wow I will never -ever take another pill it is not worth the chance that my adictive persinality would get hooked again I would not wish what I have delt with in the last week on my worst enemy!!! Don"t get me worng Suboxone is a wonder drug that saved my life from vicodion but get on it and start a fast taper and get off it it is as adictive but not as harmful as the vicodion or your drug of choice!!! But it goes to show all you out there I am the hardest headed person there is and I put it in my mind to stop and the worse is over every day I feel more like a normal human ...COLD TURKEY "SUCKS" But one way or another we all know there is a time you just have to suck it up and deal with the pain and get the support you need I don"t care if it is-N/A,Your higher power-or in my case the wife packing my bags and telling me to not come back ????? IT CAN BE DONE I DID IT !!!!!!!!
POLARISRIDER...COMPLETLEY DRUG FREE ........

Old 09-06-2005, 08:22 PM   #8
(female)

Royalsecret HB User

Hi POLARISRIDER - CONGRATULATIONS ON BEING DRUG FREE!!!!

I'm sorry you had to go thru a week from hell but way to go on getting thru it in one piece!! Take care! RoyalSecret

Old 09-07-2005, 04:34 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

goddessgrl65 HB User

Wow..Polaris...
You did it..i ended up..having some personal problems..the last couple days..and i come back and your ok..Great work!!
How are you feeling now?
Im at the end of my taper..im hurting..really tired..So now you can advise me..Im really happy to hear you made it!!!
Right on!!
ggrl

Old 09-07-2005, 09:49 AM   #10
(male)

polarisrider HB User

Like I said everyday is better and I am getting a little more Energy back at a time I am starting to eat a little more and taking a tone of vitimains and suplements The one that I found most helpful was L-tirozine it can be purchased at and Vitimain or supplement store also for sleep was meleanonan again all natural and found it at the vit store ...Hey I am last one to tell anyone what or how to do anything GGRl but end your taper you draggging on the pain and the sooner all of the opiate is out of your system it takes about 2 weeks your not going to feel like doing much but it is a****nging how much more human and non dependant to those little sweet orange tounge lozange that put me thorough all of this pain and suffering.... I look forward to hearing from you on your progress and remember get support....It"s inportant !!!!
From 20mg. -to - 0 Coooold Turckey it can be done .....Best luck to all this board has been a great help to me and my recovery ...Polarisrider.....

Old 09-07-2005, 04:45 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

jewel1060 HB User

Hi - I am also tapering. I havent checked in for awhile. I am supposed to start 1 mg today. Real hard, was on 2 mg yest.

Goddesgirl - where are you at - the last I read about you , you were on .25 and not feeling well?

This is real hard and I guess you have to be laid up for a couple of weeks, or it seems impossible to do. I dont know how anyone can cut a pill down to .12 ( I read that a couple of posts ago) I will try anything to get off this as painless as possible. I have to work & take care of two kids without help
I have been on this since July 15 & would love to be off but feeling the pain at 1mg now. My doc said I didnt have to go down yet , but I am a trying and hoping it will get better tomorrow.

Old 09-08-2005, 04:19 AM   #12
Senior Veteran

goddessgrl65 HB User

Hi Jewel//
Thanks for asking..
im sitting here feeling kinda crappy..chills..emotional/crying-stomach flippin..but..
Its still not like kicking my DOC>>so..im grateful..but sad..
i didn't sleep a wink last night..got that kickin-cough-..and severe lethargy..
Jewel..
I know you want off-but titrate slowly..cos when you get to chips..its not much to go on..try 1and 1/2 before going to 1 mgs.
the differance is making those changes minimal-until they are zero..
Goddess BLESS!!
Goddess help us all!
ggrl

Old 09-08-2005, 04:22 AM   #13
Senior Veteran

goddessgrl65 HB User

Polaris..
i hear you-i gotta get off-im really close..im hurting bigtime..its so seemingly insignificant-the amount..
your right..
you are doing so great..
Hang in there-
Stay strong..
xox
ggrl

Old 09-08-2005, 10:55 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

jewel1060 HB User

hi gggirl, thanksfor responding - how much are you down to now (mg)?
How long have you been feeling crappy and are you able to function and take care of your responsibilities (work , etc)? Thanks for the advice - I feel your pain - every day is a new feeling.

Closed Thread