It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2005, 10:06 AM   #1

LonelyTraveler HB User
Red face Hangover and alarming dizziness - Please Help!!!

Hi

About 4 years ago I started having a few beers every evening and this eventually lead to a case of beer almost every night (a very stessful event occurred in my life at the time) . This went on for about a year and a half and after many prayers, false starts and stops and a lot of trembling, sweats, anxiety and panic attacks, I was finally able to quit. I also quit smoking/chewing and went on nicotine gum at this time.

I did'nt touch a drop of alcohol, nor did I smoke or chew for a about 2 years but a month or two ago, I began having a few 1-2 OZ shot glasses of Gin w/ Lemon-lime soda each evening and eventually reached a point where I was having 3-4 drinks each evening. At first, it just made me "feel good" and it relaxed me. However, I have begun noticing that the hangovers have been getting worse and worse the long I keep driking and regardless of the amount I drink. I don't get the headaches but instead, I wake up at between 1-3 AM in the mornings feeling extremely dizzy with vertigo (the "spins") and lightheadedness.

Yesterday evening was probably the worse case I've had so far because I began drinking at about 1:30PM and stopped at about 4:00PM. I only had three drinks and at about 7:00PM I could feel the hangover really begin to kick in and I was constantly dizzy for hours (which puzzled me because I usually only feel like this in the middle of the night!).

Anyway, my main question is this. Why was I able to drink a case of beer every day for a year and a half and NEVER get dizzy but this time around I'm drinking gin and I get almost debilitating dizziness from it once the hangover starts?. Is my age (43) making it difficult for me to "handle" alcohol anymore?. Do I have some hidden disease that the alcohol is making worse?. Even when I've tried just driking beer again, I still get alarmingly dizzy and although I know that dizzines IS a symptom of hangovers, why was'nt I dizzy for the whole year and a half I was driking a case of beer each day?.

A little about me. I a take a Lorazepam in the mornings, suffer from anxiety, panic, hypochondria, depression, GERD, GAD, IBS, allergic rhinitis and chronic sinusitis. Not much else to tell. I just don't understand why I get so dizzy after drinking. It was'nt like this at ALL before.

- Regards, Lonely Traveler

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2005, 10:15 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

KFld HB User
Re: Hangover and alarming dizziness - Please Help!!!

I'm wondering if the meds you are taking for anxiety are anything like Effexor. My husband started getting vertigo that would last for 3 days sometimes when he drank vodka. He ended up at his doctor one day and his doctor knew right away what the problem was. He told him you can't drink while taking effexor or it will do that.

My husband isn't a huge drinker anyway, so now if we go out anywhere and he wants a drink or two, he found that a few light beers don't have that effect.

Kind of sounds like you are experiencing the same side effects possibly from the same type of medication.

Old 09-15-2005, 09:36 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Arememom HB User

I've never heard of dizziness as a hangover side effect. Something else is going on. Maybe it's the mixture of the meds and alcohol. I definitely would talk to my doctor about it. Or a simpler solution, quit drinking. lol

Now that was easy wasn't it.

Seriously take care of yourself. Unfortunately as we get older (I'm 48), we can't do the things that we could in our younger years. Your body is trying to tell you something. Listen to it! If you don't it will only get worse, until you do listen.

Have a good day tomorrow!

Old 09-16-2005, 12:57 AM   #4
(male)

pjcat HB User

Well the dizziness is probably more related to the anxiety than anything...but you really shouldn't mix alcohol and anxiety meds...that can be a baaaaddd combo.

Old 09-20-2005, 10:30 PM   #5
(female)

JJKoala HB User

I'd agree- ask doc- and get bp checked too...
Luck!
JJK

Old 09-21-2005, 12:34 PM   #6
(male)

GanChan HB User

It may be related to tolerance. Your body built up a high tolerance when you were guzzling, then it returned to normal after you quit. In fact, I've heard that it can be almost like a pendulum swinging the other way -- your tolerance ends up less than it was before you ever started drinking.

Richard Burton, the actor, drank 3 bottles of vodka a day until he finally collapsed and was hospitalized and detoxed. Afterward, a single glass of wine could make him absolutely sozzled. It was a kind of permanent metabolic change caused by alcohol-related damage.

So maybe your body is saying to you, "Nope, not gonna go that route again" and giving you the spins to make sure you stop early.

Last edited by GanChan; 09-21-2005 at 12:35 PM.

Closed Thread