It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2005, 07:52 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

astrolifter HB User
Suboxone withdrawal: Doc prescribed me med that took away the restless legs!!!

Ok, as some of you already know from a previous, recent, thread, i'm currently undergoing the horrific withdrawals of that loveable drug we opiate addicts know as suboxone. I also mentioned that I had barely slept in 5 days due to the incessant restless legs. Well, fortunately my wonderful wife tipped me off about a drug she had seen advertised on TV that treats restless leg syndrome, called REQUIP. So, I went in to see my Doctor today. After explaining my dilemma to my him, he readily prescribed the requip too me, it was to be taken 3 times per day. I took my first pill at around 5 pm, within a half hour, my legs were relaxed and my feet were actually warm for the first time in years! I then fell right asleep, woke up 3 hours later, and my legs felt great. I actually sat and watched tv for a couple of hours without squirming around a hundred times. The only thing is that the drug seemed to start really wearing off between the 4 and 5 hour mark, and by the 5 and 1/2 hour mark, things were pretty much the way they were before. I'm going to talk to my doctor tommorow again about it, he said he started me out at a moderate dose and could increase it if needed. I just took another pill, and hopefully i'll get to sleep at a decent hour, for the first time in a week.....

Old 10-17-2005, 09:30 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Arememom HB User
Re: Suboxone withdrawal: Doc prescribed me med that took away the restless legs!!!

Glad to hear you got some much needed peaceful rest and could just sit around and watch TV. I don't know much about the med you're on so let us know what the doc sayes. He could increase the dose or maybe say you need to be on it for a few days to get a good blood level built up. Every time I hear of a new drug, I investigate. It's nice to learn something everyday. Hope you have a peaceful night.

Your friend,
Arememom

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2005, 11:14 PM   #3
(male)

shane24 HB User
Re: Suboxone withdrawal: Doc prescribed me med that took away the restless legs!!!

If for some reason it stops working, another good medicine for restless leg syndrome is Clonazepam. It's half life is 18-50 hours, so it stays in the bloodstream along time. Shane.

Old 10-18-2005, 07:30 AM   #4
Veteran

bluejulie5 HB User

I have seen it advertised on t.v. also.

I am happy that it works for you.

Good Luck ...........

Old 10-18-2005, 09:43 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

astrolifter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane24
If for some reason it stops working, another good medicine for restless leg syndrome is Clonazepam. It's half life is 18-50 hours, so it stays in the bloodstream along time. Shane.
Thank you for that Shane, i'll consider that should that situation occur.

The irony though, is that last night I took my requip before going to bed, and just layed in my bed wide awake! No restless legs or any other nasty withdrawal symptoms, I just couldn't sleep, it was like I was groggy and everything from taking the trazadone and catapres but I just couldn't fall asleep! I finally did around 4 in the morning, after I broke down and took a valium. For some reason, valium seems to be the only thing that really puts me to sleep at this point, and I often have to take another one in another couple of hours or so! I then sleep for 3 or 4 more hours and then wake up wide awake and alert?! In the past, when I took just one valium, I would wake up all groggy and could hardly get out of bed. I don't know what's up with that, maybe its due to the withdrawal maliase of the suboxone. I've only been taking the valium for 4 days, and only during the night when I can't get to sleep any other way. I certainly don't want to get hooked on benzos, so within a few days, I'll try to start tapering off to a half pill instead of a whole one. Hopefully, this aggravating suboxone withdrawal will be mostly diminished by then. Thank you for your help!

Old 10-19-2005, 12:06 AM   #6
(male)

shane24 HB User

I know Valium is a Benzodiazepine, but your probably having good success with it because it relxes all the skeletal muscles in the body as well. I know all about RLS because my mother has it, and she had trouble with meds too, she tried clonodie which is catapres, she also tried Trazodone Too, but to no effect, so i researched it a little bit and found a drug called Colazepam, I told her to really try it because she really suffers with it, she only used to get like 2-3 hours then wake up for the day, not good. So she asked the doctor and he gave her the script, and it really has done wonders for her. I mean she is able to sleep now, she gets around 6-7 hours of sleep, and she falls asleep fast now. Of course everyone is different, and they vary from med to med, but it's worth a try if you can't find anything that will help. Shane.

Old 10-19-2005, 12:58 AM   #7
(female)

GinaMia HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane24

It's also highly addictive. When trying to detox, I wouldn't recommend taking Clonazapam aka Klonipin unless you absolutely need to.

Last edited by GinaMia; 10-19-2005 at 01:01 AM.

Old 10-19-2005, 05:13 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

astrolifter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaMia
It's also highly addictive. When trying to detox, I wouldn't recommend taking Clonazapam aka Klonipin unless you absolutely need to.
I've been concerned with that too Gina, i've heard many times that benzos are even more difficult to detox off of then opiates. This is why i'm going to slowly taper off the valium tabs, cutting the pill down from 10mg to 7.5mg, and then 5mg, 2.5mg and probably drop off from there. I actually slept awesome last night for the first time since I went completely off the suboxone! Thank you for your concern, had I not been someone that carefully researched drugs, I may have started taking too much of the benzos on a regular basis, which would have resulted in another problem that I certainly don't need. God Bless.

Old 10-19-2005, 06:43 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

astrolifter HB User

Well, yesterday was day 7 off the sub, and I slept like a baby throughout last night! I took (1) 10mg-valium, (2) .1mg-clonidine, (1) 2mg-requip (for restless legs) and 150mg trazodone. I know this sounds like a lot of meds, but I woke up bright and early and semi-refreshed for the first time since I went off the suboxone. From here, I plan on using the same drug formula, but am going to taper the dosage's lower and lower every night using my pill splitter until I am off completely! I may stay on the requip though, because I had restless legs even before I started using opiates, the withdrawals just made it much worse. Upon my doctor's recommendation, I also doubled up on my effexor dosage, instead of taking 75mg twice a day, I now take both pills early in the morning. I feel that taking it later in the evening worsened my withdrawal symptoms, which my doctor seemed to agree with. Also, as a result of doubling the dosage early in the morning, I seem to have a lot more energy as well. Take care.

Old 10-19-2005, 12:07 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Arememom HB User

Hey astrolifter,

Glad you got that great sleep. It makes dealing even the smallest of daily issues easier. Sounds like you have a good plan. Keep on weaning, you're doing great.

Old 10-19-2005, 03:03 PM   #11
(female)

GinaMia HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrolifter
I've been concerned with that too Gina, i've heard many times that benzos are even more difficult to detox off of then opiates.
I've heard this too. I do take Xanax as needed and I've become tolerant of it but not addicted to it. Lucky me!! But the risk is still there. Problem is, when I take Vic, I have no need for my antidepressants, anxiety or IBS medications. This makes it harder to stop using Vic.

Quote:
This is why i'm going to slowly taper off the valium tabs, cutting the pill down from 10mg to 7.5mg, and then 5mg, 2.5mg and probably drop off from there.
That sounds like a good plan. Don't try to quit everything at once though, that can be too rough on your system and produces a higher chance of relapse.

Quote:
I actually slept awesome last night for the first time since I went completely off the suboxone! Thank you for your concern, had I not been someone that carefully researched drugs, I may have started taking too much of the benzos on a regular basis, which would have resulted in another problem that I certainly don't need. God Bless.
I'm so glad to hear that you got good rest!! Good luck friend!

Closed Thread