It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2005, 06:12 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeginAgain HB User
Injured & newly clean - SUPPORT PLEASE!

Tell me it's going to be okay. I'm scared to death. We were moving furniture around last night and the end of the very heavy sleeper sofa dropped on my foot. I know it's broken...no doubt about it. I have an appointment in a little while to get it checked. It is KILLING me. I made it through the night with ice and motrin..but slept very little.

I'm terrified. I don't want to go through this again. Please pray for me!! Has anyone else been in a situation like this? I could use some hope & encouragement.

Old 11-10-2005, 06:30 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

buzzer09 HB User
Re: Injured & newly clean - SUPPORT PLEASE!

You are a great insperation to me and many others on this board. I pray that you will be able to endure the pain of this because we both know the pain of not enduring it, would be two fold. I am sorry for what happend, I wish I could make it better, I am probebly not going to be able to give you as much help as you have given me I wish I could but I am not in a place to do that yet. I can only say you are a great help to me and I wish I could return the favor somehow.

dale

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2005, 06:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tina76 HB User

Oh Janet! How horrible! With any luck it will just be bruised and it will start healing and feeling less painful quicker than you think. BUT.... if it doesn't. I am not sure how to go about giving you advise on this! Is the doctor you are seeing today your regular doctor that knows of your addiction and everything? Possibly he will have some suggestions for you? I wonder if there are any strong pain killers that we don't know about that don't fall under the narcotic category? I know I used to take a nasal spray pain killer for headaches (it was not made for headaches, was just a regular pain killer) and I remember at the time my doctor telling me it was not addicting like the other painkillers I was taking for my headaches at the time (Roxicet). Now that was 11 years ago... but it worked really well (made me drowsy though!)... I don't know if it is even still around or if anything has changed with more knowledge of the drug etc... like if it IS addictive etc... I think it was called Stadol? I could be wrong though. Like I said this was in 1995! I used it for about a year with no trouble.

Is the foot totally swollen? Is the pain better or worse this morning after the motrin and ice? I wish I could give you more advice. But I CAN give you support! I will be here to help you thru whatever you and your doctor decide to do. I just hate the idea of you being in such horrible pain. That is just not right for such a wonderful and caring person! You have been so wonderful to me and I wish that I could make this better for you instantaneously! - Tina

Old 11-10-2005, 07:25 AM   #4
(female)

bent_halo HB User

you can ask for Torodal, non narcotic and wonderful for pain, but hard on the liver and kidneys so they usually recomend only 5 days on it max, but that should help get the pain under control and allow something like Advil to begin to help....

Be honest and up front with the Dr, I am sure they will do all they can to help...

Angel

Old 11-10-2005, 07:40 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

buzzer09 HB User

Maybe we need to start a Team Janet, Phil will shake his pom poms for you =)

Hoping you get some good news Janet.

Dale

Old 11-10-2005, 08:06 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

tina76 HB User

I had forgotten all about toradol! I have used that from time to time as well and it DOES work. Not as well as the narcotic, which is why I went on those in the first place. But you will definitely get some relief taking it! And you and your amazing will power and determination should be able to take care of the rest! I hope you are the doctor getting good news right now!!!

Old 11-10-2005, 08:10 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeginAgain HB User

Get the tights an pom-poms ready. I do have a fracture. I've got an orthopedic shoe ( really fashionable ), a brace for my foot and some lovely crutches.

I've also got Toradol. I've taken it before and it tears up my stomach something awful. But we will give it a try. Yes he also gave me Lortab in spite of my arguments. He does know about the problem I had and that I am newly clean. He is the one I was getting my meds from before - we are both conscious of the dangers. It's in my chart. He said it may and probably will be necessary at some point in the next week and he will be out of town for the next 5 days. My hubby and I are also going away this weekend and I'm NOT cancelling this trip. No way....we need it too bad and it's been planned too long.

My hands are shaking as I type this. I drove straight to my husbands work and handed over the paper prescription. He will get it filled later today and will dispense as necessary. I cannot BS my husband..not anymore anyway.

Jeez...if I end up taking any of this stuff will I have withdrawls again? I don't want to have withdrawls again. I don't want to be sick anymore. I want to throw up thinking about it. I know if I have to take this medication I'm going to like it. How sick is that? I won't even be able to talk to you guys this weekend...I'll be in the middle of nowhere in the Smokies. Well not nowhere...there's lots to do but no computer.

Okay..deep breath. I can do this....I can do this.....I'm going to be okay. See I'll be talking to myself all day now. I'm at work. Yes I know...I need to be somewhere with my foot up..but I can't. I'm off starting tomorrow and I've gotta get things under control here. I'm much better at helping other people than helping myself.

God I'm babbling like an idiot now. Ugh!!

Dale did you talk to the doctor? Phil did you get your flu shot? Tina how are you? Everyone else thank you for the advice. Maybe the Toradol will be sufficeint and hubby can flush these things in a couple of days. Okay enough...gotta stop thinking about it. Why me lord? I was being sooooo good!

Old 11-10-2005, 08:29 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

buzzer09 HB User

Anxiously waiting for Janet to return with news on her foot, hoping the outcome is not as bad as she thought.

Dale

Old 11-10-2005, 08:36 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeginAgain HB User

No but I'll bet I could knock the heck out of ya with one of these crutches if I had to.

Now the diva..princess..queen whatever.. in me will really kick in...I'll be like "honey..could you get that?" all weekend. Poor man.

Not physical withdrawl anyway Phil..it's more the mental I'm worried about. That's what get's you every time.

Old 11-10-2005, 08:37 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeginAgain HB User

Back up a post Dale....I'm back. Pg 2

Last edited by BeginAgain; 11-10-2005 at 08:37 AM.

Old 11-10-2005, 08:44 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

tina76 HB User

Hey Janet... I don't think you should have TOO much trouble with the lortab if you are only taking one (or even half you could try) here and there? Maybe even take at bedtime when you will sleep thru anything they will do to you mentally... But it is also unreasonable to be in extreme pain for the next couple of weeks. Plus, if you hubby is dispensing them that will help... I think that as long as you keep up your positive attitude and just remind yourself every day of your resolve to stay strong and sober that they will not be a problem for you. You are stronger than they are, especially when they are coming in such small doses. But hopefully the toradol will work a miracle and you wont' need them! It's possible!

I am doing okay today. Last night was a rough one. This morning has been okay for the most part. Work is going to be an issue today though. My boss called me bawling her eyes out about a half hour ago... We are pretty close ( I am actually pretty close to her entire family) and there is some conflict going with her daughter who is away at college. My boss tends to be pretty emotional. Which means lots of tears and me comforting her today. Not that I mind... they are VERRRRY good to me here... but it IS stressful and that is what worries me. That I will be craving all afternoon... ugh.

Old 11-10-2005, 08:53 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

valleygurl HB User

OHHHHH JANET, I know that your in a bad spot right now, but you can and will get through this successfully! It is a reality that at some point in an addicts life that something will happen that they may require pain meds.

I would try the toradol and see if it works without causing to much stomach trouble, however should you not be able to take it..........and the pain is to much for you to stand and you end up having to take the Lortab you probably will be surprised that you may not like it as much as you thought you would. With the pain being bad enough to warrant you to take it, more than likely it will go directly to work on the pain and not make you feel mentally "good".

If you can find other alternatives for the pain during the day i would just hold off and only take the Lortab at night time so as you can sleep without your foot throbbing!

No matter what we all say and suggest here, the bottom line is that only you know your self and will know what is right for you to do.

I am truely sorry for your foot injury and i sure hope that it heals up in no time!!!!!

Talk soon,
Valley

Old 11-10-2005, 09:06 AM   #13
Veteran
(male)

buzzer09 HB User

sorry i am running about 50% today

Old 11-10-2005, 09:09 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeginAgain HB User

Believe me I'm dreaming up lots of ways to torture my husband this weekend. I told him I couldn't hold up that end of the couch darn it...we couldn't just slide it...oh no...would mess up the new wood floors. Grrrrr! He lifted his end to far like a big he-man incredible hulk superman or something.

This too shall pass. By golly no matter what I'll get through it. My head is the worst part. I'm not a very compliant patient...I'm already running around without the crutches. I know...bad idea. But I hate being helpless. Getting up into that big old vehicle of mine is funny to watch too. I already have to hop up into the seat and drag myself in with the steering wheel. Now I've gotta wrestle the foot, the shoe, the crutches, my purse. Pretty comical. You'd have to know me.

To answer your question he gave me 5mg pills. They are exactly the same as I was taking handfuls of before. Can you say trigger? Ugh!! It'll be okay. I don't even want to see them. I feel sick thinking about it..stop thinking about it.

It is so frigging cold and windy here today. It was 81 yesterday and it feels like 41 today. Yuck.

Dale...what's is up??? Did you talk to the doctor? I gotta go run errands now. Gotta get some money in the bank..I'll check in shortly.

Old 11-10-2005, 09:17 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

tina76 HB User

A couple of months ago I had this problem where my left foot went completely numb. I was lucky that I wasn't in pain but I can definitely identify with the feeling helpless thing! I could put no weight on that foot, it was like it wasn't even there. Total numbness. So I was on crutches etc... Man, what a pain in the tush! Hopefully it won't take too long for you to heal. I am praying for that for you. If it has to have happened, at least let it go away nice and quickly!

It is cold and windy here to. Of course, here it REALLY is almost 40 degrees. It's about 47 right now. High of 50. Oh goody. But I should be able to walk the dogger tonight though because we don't have any wind advisory or storm expectations or antyhing like that. We might even hit 58 tomorrow! I hate winter.

Thanks for the kind words Phil. I keep reminding myself that everything is okay. I didn't sleep well last night so I am a little crabby on top of everything. If I could just go home and take a nap I'd be in a MUCH better mood. Too bad that is not possible! Oh well... maybe I can grab one after work quick.

Closed Thread