It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2005, 04:10 PM   #1
(male)

8() HB User
Marijuana addictive?

Can you become addictive to Marijuana? Even if you do it occasionally?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2005, 01:04 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Arememom HB User
Re: Marijuana addictive?

Hey 8(),

Yes, Mariguana is addictive!!!! And we all started using our drug of choice occasionally. No addict intends on becoming addicted to their drug of choice. My advice - don't do drugs of any sort occasionally.

There are those folks who will disagree with the thinking that Mariguana is addictive. But they are lying to themselves. I'm in outpatient rehab right now with folks who's drug of choice is Mariguana. The first drug I ever did was Mariguana at age 12 and now I'm a recovering crack addict.

Stay away from the drug, get new friends who don't do drugs, don't go where you know it's being smoked. Run away now while it's only an occasional thing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2005, 06:39 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

mpvt HB User

Couldn't agree more,stay away from pot it's a gateway drug......Dave

Old 11-15-2005, 12:56 PM   #4
(male)

Chaddyfriend HB User

wait wait wait guys. Marijuana is not PHYSICALLY addictive, but is however very mentaly addivtive, very differnt types of addiction. Is a gateway drug thogh, i have tooo many freinds who ruined their lives off a lil weed.

~chadd

Old 11-15-2005, 02:35 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Arememom HB User

Hey Chaddyfriend,

Your right Marjuianna is mentally addictive not physically. Crack is also mentally addictive not physically. I never said Marjuiana was physically addictive. So what's the point? It's ok to be mentally addicted? I don't thinks that's what you were say because of your last sentence in your post. I'm just not sure I understand what your point was. I read it over and over. Maybe you though we were saying it was physically addictive?

The mental part of all addictions is what gets people going back out and using over and over again. I know many people who had detoxed and way down the road (months and years) started using because they never learned how to cope with stress and life issues in a healthy way.

Last edited by Arememom; 11-15-2005 at 02:40 PM.

Old 11-15-2005, 02:40 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

I disagree that pot is a gateway drug.....
for that matter why don't you call nicotine and tobacco a gateway drug?

Old 11-15-2005, 02:43 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arememom
Hey 8(),

Yes, Mariguana is addictive!!!! And we all started using our drug of choice occasionally. No addict intends on becoming addicted to their drug of choice. My advice - don't do drugs of any sort occasionally.

There are those folks who will disagree with the thinking that Mariguana is addictive. But they are lying to themselves. I'm in outpatient rehab right now with folks who's drug of choice is Mariguana. The first drug I ever did was Mariguana at age 12 and now I'm a recovering crack addict.

Stay away from the drug, get new friends who don't do drugs, don't go where you know it's being smoked. Run away now while it's only an occasional thing.
It's mentally addictive or emotionally so. But, would it be so with non-addictive type personalities? My daughter started smoking at fifteen. She always laughed about it and just loved it. Then during a bad relationship at 28 or so she tried crack. Her boyfriend told me but I didn't know what he was talking about. At 35 she had to leave town for good since she was smoking crack w/her roommate and the dept of protective services came calling with the police. Now, at 40, she has been smoking crack and has lost 25 pounds at least and is spending the weekend at some sort of "Releasing" thing at a friend's house (married people in their 70's). Two nights ago she looked at me and said she hadn't been doing anything but her eyes had that blurred look and were bloodshot.
Her boyfriend of 3 wks left her and her son was crying. So today her son, 7, told me they were off to this place 25 miles from here so she'd stop, "smoking weed and taking pills" is how the poor little guy put it to me. She started in with the crack when her boyfriend of 3 years left her 2 months ago. For some reason I cannot understand she just can't take being left. She acts almost suicidal even if the guy who left is an alcoholic who she says bad things about constantly. Which she did. She even stalks their parents by phone.
I just do not understand all of it but I pray this "Lindwall releasing" stuff takes.

Old 11-15-2005, 03:13 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeginAgain HB User

Another opinion - Marijuana is mentally addictive. Anything mentally addictive....anything that alters your central nervous system, perceptions, mood, thought processes, decision making ability, mental state, emotional state (makes you feel high, detached, euphoric, warm & fuzzy, mellow, happy) etc.. is considered mood altering. Mood altering substances are gateway drugs because they alter those things listed above and more - thereby leading us back to our drug of choice or starting a dependency on something else chemical to function & feel high, numb, detached, euphoric, warm & fuzzy, happy, mellow etc..
Nicotine is both physically & mentally addictive as I can attest...but it doesn't alter my mood, perceptions, thinking, decison making ability...I don't get high, euphoric, numb, warm & fuzzy, etc.. I do think smoking can be a trigger for some people. For instance - if you only smke when you drink alcohol & you are an alcoholic...when you stop drinking smoking a ciggarette could cause a craving, if you chain smoke when you popped opiates or used heroin...if you stop using and start to smoke alot again you may associate the behavior with using.

Smoking a ciggarette has never made me feel "high", "buzzed", etc.. and I can't see where it would be considered a "gateway" drug unless associated with that buzz or assoicated with drinking/using in some direct way as a trigger.

Just my humble opinion from observation and direct experience. I can tell you from history that many years ago I'd stopped a cocaine habit for over 2 years. I didn't do any kind of drugs or even drink during that two yr period - I did smoke ciggarettes. I became involved with a man who was a heavy pot smoker...it was available and was some sort of sick bonding ritual between us I guess. I started smoking it regularly...within a week or two I was back at the cocaine habit. I can't assoicate it with anything else...it simply made me crave the other drug because it altered my brain...it's the only thing I can figure led me back because I wasn't using anything else and then wham...I was back at it very quickly.

Maybe it's different for everyone...but we can certainly have other addictions and not just to drugs. We frequently replace one thing with another sometimes unconsciously trying to fill a "hole" or change the way we feel. Who among us addicts has been involved in an "addictive" relationship, has become addicted or obsessed with exercise, has been addicted to gambling, sex, work etc... It happens often. Even things that aren't "chemical" can lead us back out - atleast in my experience & in the years I've been around the program watching other people. You can take the drug out of the addict but it doesn't solve the problem if we replace it with something else and don't look honestly in the mirror and work to change the core.

Old 11-15-2005, 03:26 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Arememom HB User

Hey rosequartz,

The reason nicotine and tobacco are not considered gateways drugs is because they are not "mind altering substances".

Hi SusanGene,

I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter. Crack is a horrible drug and ruins the lives of so many, not just the addict. Crack takes the mind to horrible place. It turns people into a totally different person, not someone you would even recognize. Crack/Meth addicts are truly insane. I understand your daughter in relation to her boyfriend. I couldn't let my bf go, wouldn't let him go, loved him, hated him. It's a horrible sick disease and until she wants out, it will only get worse. I tried to get out so many times. I'd last a week at the most. The mental sh.. is horrible, depression, paranoia, hallucinations. I was suicidal several times. I haven't heard of the Lindwall releasing. Let us know how it goes. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers.

Closed Thread