It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2005, 10:51 AM   #16
(female)

Jasmine3704 HB User
Re: How long does it take to feel normal?

Hey buzz - Well, no I didnt. I was ready to. I knew what I was going to say, but I didnt do it. I kept telling myself that I have to, whats the worst that can happen, etc etc. But then when I saw him I was literally shaking thinking about NOT walking out of there with my script. I dont know. Then I keep telling myself that I'll wait until I have the RFA done on the 15th and then I'll be able to do this. See, I have no control over my own thinking anymore. I thought I was stronger than this, but I am not. I feel like a fraud coming here and I hope you guys dont think I'm not serious about this. I am. I keep coming up with reasons why I can/should wait. Like, let me just get through Christmas so the Holidays aren't ruined. Or let me just wait till I have my procedure done and then I'll only have to deal with the w/d and not the pain on top of it.
I really wish I could go into rehab. But I can't. I can't be gone that long. God this sucks.
I mean you guys who have problems with oxys know the real deal that i am going thru here. What is really the best way to do this? My doctor says that tapering off is the only safe way to come off high doses of oxys. True? But if it's too easy I might not learn my lesson either. I am really in an internal turmoil over this.

Old 11-28-2005, 11:40 AM   #17
Veteran
(male)

buzzer09 HB User

Jas,

You are alot stronger than you think. I never though I could do it, but once it was done it was done there was not turning back. The hardest thing was being honest with myself first, I knew that the only way to get this done was to tell my PM doctor what I was doing. Tina did it, and everyone on these boards were behind me when I went to the doctor. I had to cut off my source. I told them to write in my chart to NEVER give me Oxy again. I have no control over the drug. I have slowly been tapering off the percs and am down to about 20-25mg a day. Thats down from 200 or so. Cutting off my source was the second step, the first step was coming on these boards and bareing my soul to strangers, they took me and wrapped their hearts around mine. They held me up as I slipped after the divorce papers and my wife leaving. They are still there. No one here will judge you here, everyone here knows alot about what your going through. The thing that scared me off the oxy was reading that, and I hate to quote a unverfied source but the percent was high that go from oxy to heroin, and I did not want that. Stay with us Jas, using or not, post,talk, to us. Ya never know when someone is going to say that one thing that strikes home to you, that clicks and makes you make the choices you have got to make. Please stay with us.

Dale

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2005, 08:49 PM   #18
(female)

Vickyuser HB User

Dale
Look how far you have come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jasmine you have taken the first step. The desire to quit is powerful. Use it to your advantage. Keep strong. We are all behind you. I quit vikes, ultracet, and ambien Oct 3 with the help, support and love from these boards. I also have pain issues but find that the pain is actually better off OC's. Go fiqure.(I did read this from other posts) I can control it with Tylenol Arthritis and also aspirin. Aleve is also good. Keep posting and know that we are here to help.

Vicky

Old 11-28-2005, 10:32 PM   #19
Veteran
(female)

sk777 HB User

Jasmine, I don't think there's any chance you will find it "too easy." Even tapering is really hard.

I kept putting off w/d to get past a deadline but then I realized I have a business trip and then the holidays, I was so tired of the treadmill I just jumped off and flushed it all. Not that you should, if you are on really high dose, but it's never going to be a good time. There will always be something. I quit right before a family vacation and a huge deadline and I'm 11 days clean and wouldn't change a thing. My deadline is here and I will deal with it. I did have to cancel the family thing, too sick at the time.

Holidays might be a good time to quit, if you have a job where the holidays means some time off and not too busy. (If you work in retail, I take it all back!)

Jasmine, I am giant wussy baby and while I am still in w/d, I have never been more relieved in my life to be off the treadmill and feeling better. Every day is a day closer to "normal."

Also, I agree w/ Dale. This is the first place I bared my soul and realized I was an addict. And nobody judged me or told me to stop whining or that I was a drug-addled loser. We all know how you feel. And that you'll stop when you're ready.

You're lucky to have a doctor to help you with this, me too.

Old 12-01-2005, 12:03 PM   #20
Veteran
(male)

buzzer09 HB User

Just wondering how your doing ?

Old 12-02-2005, 12:26 PM   #21
Veteran
(male)

buzzer09 HB User

Just checking in on you ?

Old 12-02-2005, 07:34 PM   #22
(female)

Lissie HB User

Hi. I just came across this post. I too have been taking Lortab everyday for the past 2 years. It's weird...I know I don't need them all the time, but my brain tells me it's the only thing that works. I take up to 8 a day. Is going cold turkey the best way to stop? With some meds, doctors say it's best to taper meds so your body will adjust.

Thanks for any imput.

Lissie

Old 12-03-2005, 10:15 AM   #23
Senior Veteran
(female)

tina76 HB User

Lissie, if you can taper, then I would definitely do that. You are still at a low dose and if you can taper down that would be the best way in my opinion! Good luck!

Old 12-04-2005, 12:45 AM   #24
(male)

Ryan_ct HB User

I would say ct is the best way..I am a stuburn person when it comes to drug addiction, if ya know what i mean, Im not a patient person, when i want off i dont screw around I go into a state of abstinence. I absolutely do not have the will power to tapper..I have to totally be away from it and have it no longer exsist in my house to quit. Right now im on a week cold turkey from methadone I'm feeling somewhat relief. If i were to taper it would probbly take me a year rather than 4-6 weeks. That is a long time of wasting great moments that are going to come in life when clean.

Old 12-05-2005, 01:35 PM   #25
(female)

palmak HB User

Jasmine..

I read your words and thought I was reading about myself..I am addicted
to methamphetamine..I know most people think of that and they think
crazy, wild, corrupt...I am a mother of two and all it has done for me in the past is help me get through my day, I am a single mom, work etc..
I am now addicted and know I must stop. I am scared to death to think of
not doing it, not having it..It makes me normal. Without it I am not even able
to function and I need help desperately! Just wanted you to know your not alone! Palmak

Old 12-05-2005, 01:59 PM   #26
Veteran
(male)

buzzer09 HB User

Palmak, there are alot of us here. May have a different DOC but we all think alike, makes me normal, scared to be without, not able to function and need help. There are alot of people here that can help you, they have helped me so much. Maybe open new thread just for you and share some of your story and how this board can help ?

Old 12-06-2005, 10:36 AM   #27
Veteran
(male)

buzzer09 HB User

Jasmine, wondering how your doing ?

Old 12-06-2005, 01:28 PM   #28

coLd turKeY HB User

yo jasmin.. you haven't replied to buzzkill dale for a while now? .. are you ok? many of you probably don't remember me but i found this forum about 3 years ago and it really helped me alot. the only reason why im back is just out of curiousity and it was on my favorites. I quit cold turkey from an addiction to lortabs 7.5, 10's whatever i could get my hands on for over 2 and a half years.. then when i couldn't find any lt's, i would take tylenol 3's, as much as 8 a day just to stop the withdrawls from the lt's, which is very unhealthy to feed that much acetaminophen/tylenol to your body. Then i finally ran out after 2.5 years and just cold turkey'd it. it was hard but i think after 2 weeks.. the physical pain was gone but the mental battles still lingered. Dont let your demons get to you and know that you all are stronger then these pills. you're gonna have to stop using sometime.. the sooner.. the better.. so might as well start off the new year with a new start and leave 2005 behind. -coLd turKeY

Old 12-07-2005, 02:35 PM   #29
(male)

Moronovich HB User

Jasmine - you haven't posted in over a week. Did you give up for now on your attempts to back off the Oxy? I hope that you'll visit this thread again and read the posts that are here. I also wish you success.

Jas - coming off of that much OxyCodone is very hard and actually dangerous. I'd highly recommend having a doctor involved.

Jas - if you do decide to tackle this on your own my best advice from experience is definitely absolutely taper down the dosage over about 2 weeks or more. That will be very hard to do! You won't feel like you want to feel. You will actually go through withdrawals as you taper down - but much much milder than what you would feel if you go cold turkey though. Cold turkey from that much Oxy is extreme. I would rather set my legs on fire. Seriously, if you want my 0.02 on tapering off and quitting - which takes iron willpower - i'll tell you what i've done in the past that worked for me and how I felt when I did it. Just remember - i'm not a doctor! And that's me - you may not feel the same as I did. I was doing about 200 to 400 mg a day of "peeled and crushed" Oxy and tapered off and quit.

Whatever you do - I wish you lasting success!

Old 12-07-2005, 02:45 PM   #30
Senior Veteran
(female)

tina76 HB User

Hi Jasmine - Where are you? I'm worried about you as I know a lot of others on here are as well! I hope that you will post soon and let us know how you are. Even if you have completely relapsed from wanting to quit etc... No one here will judge you whether you are using, thinking about using, thinking about quitting, etc... we are here no matter what! So please post. I hope you are doing okay.

Closed Thread