It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2006, 03:17 PM   #16
(female)

LVNMYLIFE HB User
Re: PLEASE Somebody, take sometime to read this and help me

Phil,

Stay with me on this.

Old 01-31-2006, 03:20 PM   #17
(female)

LVNMYLIFE HB User

Lisa,

Does this tapering that I am doing help me just be a little worse off when the day comes that I don't even take 1? How many days should I take just 1 pill for before I stop.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2006, 03:33 PM   #18
Inactive
(female)

toughtime HB User

Hey Nicole,

Sounds like you are pushing yourself too hard. You've got this huge secret- addiction- plus 3 sick girls, and you are running a half marathon! I am not judging you, but I know I tried to be "supermom" on the pills. Look, I just quit a week ago from a HUGE nasty habit and I'm ok now. I cleaned my kitchen today, straight. I realized that I really was a pretty crappy cleaner when I was high. There was so much I missed! I thought I was doing a good job, but I've found some nasty stuff I never noticed before!

The energy does come back, Thank GOD! That was my biggest fear of quitting, that I would just be a shivering slug, worthless to do anything. If I can stop, you sure can. I went from 25 a day and withdrawals were really just awful (hell) for 3 days. It got better. It got so much better that I convinced myself that a couple of pills would be real groovy. Don't fall into that trap like I did!

But I'm on day 3 straight again and I'm ok. I feel WAYYY better than I thought I would. So it's been about 8-9 days, not counting my 2 slips. Life is good.

Vitamins- do a search for the "thomas recipe for detox." I swear by the L-tyrosine, B6 and B12. It's helping me tremendously. But yea, have lots of immodium handy too.

Good luck!

Debbie

Old 01-31-2006, 03:41 PM   #19
(female)

LVNMYLIFE HB User

Thanks so much. I guess having all of the other things going on are actually helping me with the taper.. keeping me busy. I can't imagine being a slug. I know I have to expect some sluggishness right? I just truly want to be clean I can't wait to say, It's been 3 days!!! You are so lucky! I will be too. I have to be. I will search for that recipe you mentioned.

Old 01-31-2006, 03:42 PM   #20
Senior Veteran
(female)

barbaric_yawp HB User

Debbie,
I swear by the L-tyrosine, B6 and B12.

I take these also, along with a carotene complex (vit A). You are right, helps energy and esp. recovery I also take flax-seed to help my system regenerate itself cell by cell.

B.Y.

Old 01-31-2006, 03:45 PM   #21
(female)

LVNMYLIFE HB User

How do I search for that detox receipe?

Old 01-31-2006, 04:04 PM   #22
Senior Veteran
(female)

barbaric_yawp HB User

If you can't take time off to detox, I recommend you follow a taper regimen using your drug of choice or suitable alternate -- the slower the taper, the better.

For the Thomas Recipe, You'll need:

1. Valium (or another benzodiazepine such as Klonopin, Librium, Ativan or Xanax). Of these, Valium and Klonopin are best suited for tapering since they come in tablet form. Librium is also an excellent detox benzo, but comes in capsules, making it hard to taper the dose. Ativan or Xanax should only be used if you can't get one of the others.

2. Imodium (over the counter, any drug or grocery store).

3. L-Tyrosine (500 mg caps) from the health food store.

4. Strong wide-spectrum mineral supplement with at least 100% RDA of Zinc, Phosphorus, Copper, Magnesium and Potassium (you may not find the potassium in the same supplement).

5. Vitamin B6 caps.

6. Access to hot baths or a Jacuzzi (or hot showers if that's all that's available).

How to use the recipe:

Start the vitamin/mineral supplement right away (or the first day you can keep it down), preferably with food. Potassium early in the detox is important to help relieve RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome). Bananas are a good source of potassium if you can't find a supplement for it.

Begin your detox with regular doses of Valium (or alternate benzo). Start with a dose high enough to produce sleep. Before you use any benzo, make sure you're aware of how often it can be safely taken. Different benzos have different dosing schedules. Taper your Valium dosage down after each day. The goal is to get through day 4, after which the worst WD symptoms will subside. You shouldn't need the Valium after day 4 or 5.

During detox, hit the hot bath or Jacuzzi as often as you need to for muscle aches. Don't underestimate the effectiveness of hot soaks. Spend the entire time, if necessary, in a hot bath. This simple method will alleviate what is for many the worst opiate WD symptom.

Use the Imodium aggressively to stop the runs. Take as much as you need, as often as you need it. Don't take it, however, if you don't need it.

At the end of the fourth day, you should be waking up from the Valium and experiencing the beginnings of the opiate WD malaise. Upon rising (empty stomach), take the L-Tyrosine. Try 2000 mgs, and scale up or down, depending on how you feel. You can take up to 4,000 mgs. Take the L-Tyrosine with B6 to help absorption. Wait about one hour before eating breakfast. The L-Tyrosine will give you a surge of physical and mental energy that will help counteract the malaise. You may continue to take it each morning for as long as it helps. If you find it gives you the "coffee jitters," consider lowering the dosage or discontinuing it altogether. Occasionally, L-Tyrosine can cause the runs. Unlike the runs from opiate WD, however, this effect of L-Tyrosine is mild and normally does not return after the first hour. Lowering the dosage may help.

Continue to take the vitamin/mineral supplement with breakfast.

As soon as you can force yourself to, get some mild exercise such as walking, cycling, swimming, etc. This will be hard at first, but will make you feel considerably better.

(I personnally did not use Valum, Xanax, etc. but used benadryl as a sleep aid. The rest works and I still take all the vitamins and exercise etc...)
B.Y.

Last edited by barbaric_yawp; 01-31-2006 at 04:08 PM.

Old 01-31-2006, 04:20 PM   #23
Inactive
(female)

toughtime HB User

Gina,

That was so sweet of you to paste that for Nicole!

Nicole, that recipe was my bible for the past week. Well, not to sound sacreligious, I also did a lot of praying to God to give me the strength to not cave in to take any more pills.

I'm not going to act like I'm all that, I know that the hard part is staying stopped, not stopping. (Thanks for the kudos though.) Phil, and the Gina's (LOL!) and many, many others helped pull me through. But like I said, I've been reading and I know that the hard part is staying straight.

This book I'm reading says the biggest thing with addicts is that we are addicted to a "mood changer," that's the problem that we have to fight when we quit our DOC. And having to deal with everything, and let the feelings come out, is hard when you've been medicated for so long.

But it is worth it. No more juggling refills, doc shopping, making sure I had enough in my purse to cover an outing.... LOL! Sheez, life is already much easier and better.

You can do it Nicole! Keep posting and reading and we'll all root for ya!

Debbie

Old 01-31-2006, 10:45 PM   #24
(male)

mparentofaddict HB User
Wink Re: PLEASE Somebody, take sometime to read this and help me

This is my first post.I am 42 year old male who lives ina small town.Drank hard all my life until 2000. I was clean and sober for 3 years,until I got off probation.I found out I had hep c ( thank God thats all). I had all my upper teeth pulled out. Got dentures. Got hooked on percocet.15 mgs a day at first year. Up to sixty the second year. I smoke cigarettes and pot daily. I am also very involved in AA.I work very hard in summer,with winters off.I don't feel my life unmanageable.It is quite good.I started my own business in sobriety.Without my self medication I dont feel I could do the work I do without it.I have a 21 year old daughter who is very beautiful and is a heroin addict.She disappears for days at a time.She is no longer allowed in my home.Just got her in a 21 day recovery program for the fifth time in the last 2 years.I have faith when she's in a safe place.When shes not, I'm a mess.Can't focus on fear she'll kill herself.I guess what im trying to say is I think I'm caarrying guilt and shame because of my addictions and going to AA.My sponsor knows and so doesAA members all over the valley.I help newcomers alot. Is feeling like whatever it takes to stay off alcohol appropriate? Sure could use support and advice. My advice to you is if you can't quit keep the dosage down.Watch what you eat.Seek therapy such as AA.or any group support.Enjoy life. Its not all that bad

Old 02-01-2006, 05:47 AM   #25
(female)

MYSISSYGIRLS HB User

mparentofaddict,
my daughter is also an addict she has dabbled with herion oxys you name it.i dont know where she is at this time since we also had to kic her out of the house because we are caring for her daughter.i have been a wreck for years worrying about her but i am going to counseling and have learned that they are adults and we do the best we can raising them.my daughters father is also an acholic but i do not drink or do drugs we divorced 20 years ago but she still had contact with him.i still do not believe that is the reason why she is an addict.i feel it is the people she chose to get involved with and that she is scared to face life without drugs.i have raised 3 other chldren and she is the only one with the problem.i have went through enabling her to begging her and now tough love.i pray that she is ok that is all i can do.
please dont beat yourself up we do the best we can with what we know.theres no real book out there that gives us instructions on raising our kids everyday.
good luck with your sobriety that is most important for you.pray for your daughter and keep posting and reading here it really helps.i will say a prayer for your daughter .realize they wont change until something inside them changes until that light bulb goes off that i dont want to feel like this ever again.
good luck,
tami

Old 02-01-2006, 07:39 AM   #26
Senior Veteran
(female)

barbaric_yawp HB User

Hi Lvn : How are you today?

Old 02-01-2006, 05:20 PM   #27
(female)

LVNMYLIFE HB User

Hi everyone!!

Doing good today! Yesterday wasn't horrible, I am trying to increase the time between doses as suggested and I am getting through about 10 hours, I am thinking I could go to 4 or 5 in a day or so. I am still so motivated, so happy to be "making it" on this taper schedule. I alreay feel a little more energized in the mornings. when I was on 10 I was always real slow in the morning. Now I am starting to feel better. I know I am withdrawaling, my legs ache and I have the sweats.. That is what gets to me most, the leg aches. I have a race this Sunday, a half marathon and I ran on Tues. night, it felt good to run mt restless legs! I love you all. Please keep me going.. I need you all very bad!! I cannot wait to say, "this is day one with none" all in good time! Thanks again... Love to you all!!

Old 02-01-2006, 05:29 PM   #28
Senior Veteran
(female)

barbaric_yawp HB User

Yes, all in due time...I am happy you are making progress!! God bless your marathon-runin'-heart! Whew! I don't know how you guys do it, I get breathless just thinking about running...let alone a marathon...

God Bless,
B.Y

Old 02-01-2006, 09:22 PM   #29
(male)

mparentofaddict HB User

wow!I have restless legs too.I had these restless legs since I first got off alcohol.I used ibphrofine 500mgs,3 to 4 times a day before they stopped working.Thats when found the percocets .It seems better for me since they work for the pain sometimes unbearable until I take a pill.I'm also on gabapentin,300mgs,two at night, instead of 3,one in the morning,noon,and at night. The only thing I don't take the prescribed amount of. Just knowing someone else chooses to work on themselves gives me strength knowing I'm not alone.Right now things for me is ok.daughter is alrightfor another day. Aspecial thanks to the nice lady with very choice words of encouragement for me.Being new to this is a chance for me to open upand try to get honest with myself.Please have a wonderful day every one!!!

Old 02-02-2006, 07:39 AM   #30
Senior Veteran
(female)

barbaric_yawp HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mparentofaddict
This is my first post.I am 42 year old male who lives ina small town.Drank hard all my life until 2000. I was clean and sober for 3 years,until I got off probation.I found out I had hep c ( thank God thats all). I had all my upper teeth pulled out. Got dentures. Got hooked on percocet.15 mgs a day at first year. Up to sixty the second year. I smoke cigarettes and pot daily. I am also very involved in AA.I work very hard in summer,with winters off.I don't feel my life unmanageable.It is quite good.I started my own business in sobriety.Without my self medication I dont feel I could do the work I do without it.I have a 21 year old daughter who is very beautiful and is a heroin addict.She disappears for days at a time.She is no longer allowed in my home.Just got her in a 21 day recovery program for the fifth time in the last 2 years.I have faith when she's in a safe place.When shes not, I'm a mess.Can't focus on fear she'll kill herself.I guess what im trying to say is I think I'm caarrying guilt and shame because of my addictions and going to AA.My sponsor knows and so doesAA members all over the valley.I help newcomers alot. Is feeling like whatever it takes to stay off alcohol appropriate? Sure could use support and advice. My advice to you is if you can't quit keep the dosage down.Watch what you eat.Seek therapy such as AA.or any group support.Enjoy life. Its not all that bad

Mparent: just wanted to welcome you and your story to the boards. Thanks for sharing your successes with us "newbie-recovering-drug users." Keep us posted with your wisdom and kindness...

LVN: how are you today? Wishing you well.
B.Y.

Closed Thread