It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2006, 11:33 AM   #1
(female)

neveragain34 HB User
from suboxone to ultram?????

Hello all, some of you may remember my story and some of you may not, but to briefly bring everyone up to speed, it goes something like this: hurt back, given script by doc for over 1 year for darvocet, obviously became addicted, went to my family doc who tried to help me by tapering off of darv, but as everyone knows that never works, so I relapsed. finally I went to another doc in october who put me on suboxone, best thing to ever happen to me ....swore I would never touch opiates again etc....wrong i stayed clean for awhile but old habits die hard and I was right back into the thick of it, only not as bad, in any event went back to the doc and got suboxone again, i finished the treatment and realized that I felt safe on the suboxone because I knew I couldn't take narcotics while taking that. so my doc agreed to give me a month's supply for maintenance. only problem is I somehow became hooked on taking that and went thru 60 pills in 2 weeks, being that I did not do a tapering dose of the suboxone I knew I would be in trouble coming off of it, so I knew that if I called and told my doc what had happened he would not give me anymore, so I thought it would be more beneficial to myself if I told him my purse got stolen and my meds were in it. needless to say that didn't fly, my reg doc was out of town, so I had to talk to the doc on call and he didn't buy it, so with that said the next day I went to one of the urgent care center's and got some vikes, after taking them for 2 weeks I realized Im right back in the same mess of having to deal with w/d, so I called my doc again, went and saw him and he said he would not give me anymore suboxone, he said no more opiates, but then he turns around and prescribed ultram with a tapering schedule, now can someone explain that to me, because from everything I have read on this sight and online ultram is just as addicting as the other drugs.......he also gave a med called baclofen for my back as I do have a legitimate pain, has anyone heard of that med? please let me know what you all think about this......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2006, 12:27 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

jam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB User
Re: from suboxone to ultram?????

Neveragain, Because the "published" medical literature states that Ultram aka Tramadol is a synthetic compound and not an opiate, it has wrongfully been presumed and stated to be non-addictive. The reality is that it is addictive with horrible WDs. Many have in fact stated it was worse for them than the actual opiates. My understanding of it is that Ultram/Tramadol, while a synthetic derivative, still acts on the same body receptor centers; therefore, the body reads and reacts to the signals the same---including addiction or dependency. It is quite controversial. There are those in the medical profession, and elsewhere, that will swear that it is not possible since it is not an opiate. However, those of us, (and yes I am one) who have personal experience with opiates and with Ultram/Tramadol KNOW the ramifications....OUR opinions on it were formed from personal experience---not published literature. You be the judge. My best guess is that it sounds like your doctor is trying to accomplish a taper process with what he believes is either a non-addictive or less-addictive alternative. Either way proceed with caution is my best advice.

Old 02-25-2006, 09:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User

I've been on and off Ultram twice and not had any of the horrible WD symptoms that this poster claims. I wish people wouldn't generalise too much, and keep their experiences to how it was/is for them.

Old 02-25-2006, 11:58 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

jam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB User

Hi Blasterboy. I am so glad you didn't experience Ultram WDs. Not sure why some have them and others don't. Everyone's chemistry is unique so how they respond to medication can be different. My comments are associated w/my own personal experience as well as online research. For those wanting to learn for themselves more about potential risks associated with it just google Ultram withdrawals or Tramadol withdrawals.

Closed Thread