It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2006, 09:10 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

jam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB User
HOME DETOX RESCUE OPTIONS

Note:
The Sample Home Detox (w/OTC WD Coping Options) has been established by the Moderator as a sticky post and can be found as the top "sticky post" at the top of each list.

======================================== ================
Following are the various discussions regarding it and detox in general.
======================================== ===============

My personal experience with the OTC Coping Options List:
3 times----first with Vicodin, Xanax, and then Tramadol. It has been a year since I last detoxed. And, I am having surgery again in a month and came to the Boards to find information on managing post-surgery concerns. Several people were on the same board in the middle of detox and on bridge of aborting so I went digging for all my personal journal notes on how I did the home detox. It is a compilation of home detox suggestions from various people on various boards, and as written represents my own personal detox plan. I thought I would post it here to help others. I was sooooooo greatful to find OTC relief to help me get through it that I wanted to give thanks by giving back to others. The more that we can help others get off this crap the better. It is a horrible demon to have on your back-----as we all know, you transition from painfree euphoria to an imprisoned Vicodin haze that blunts and controls everything in your life where nothing else begins to matter except counting and splitting pills to get to your next RX date

For me, each time I used almost everything on the list. The only thing I didn't need was the Immodium; never had the runs that most do...so that shows that everyone will not experience WDs exactly the same, but there are universal things as stated on the list. For me the Xanax and the Tramadol detox was far worse and longer than the Vicodin. Though let there be no doubt that Vicodin is difficult as evidenced by the fact that so many end up having to professionally detox to be successful. However, with this list and self-dertermination folks can do it. The worst of the Vicodin detox is usually days 2-4 for most people where you are definitely not functioning well, and not sleeping hardly at all. After Day 4 things start stabilizing where you can at least sleep some and that helps. I definitely was not able to work during that time. As to what works, everything on the list collectively helps. For what works best, if I had to single any one thing out I would have to say hot baths. Almost always when I was absolutely at the end of my rope I would run a bubble bath of water as HOT as I could stand it as that would settle nerves and leg twitches, but only temporarily. For the first 4 days I probably took somewhere between 6-10 HOT baths a day. Next, would be the hot rice socks to settle the same symptoms whenever I was too waterlogged or exhausted to get in the tub. It is really hard to single any one thing out though. For example, sleep deprivation is horrible and all the things that helped induce sleep also helps. But then there is the 20-30 min day exercise----sooooooooo critical to get that body working for YOU again...it takes 20-30 min a day to get your endorphins jumpstarted and producing natural dopamine. When that kicks in the WD joint pain subsides considerably. Now, I can tell you that the Zinc/Magnesium part of the formula is a recent addition, and that was not part of my original formula, but based on the experience of others it seems extremely critical. Every last one of the people that added it, and they were in the middle detox, felt some relief right away and said the relief built everyday. From their experience we concluded that if you were to start the Zinc/Mag 1-2 weeks in advance and build up that it would make a major difference. It not only helps w/WD pain and depression, but folks after detox stated it helped them with pain management since they were no longer on RX pain meds.

When I did my detoxes I researched and prepared well for it as I was terrified to detox at home, but there was no way I was going through the open humilation of professional detox center. I am sure I spent over $200 for everything I bought to do the detox. Sounds like a lot, but pales in comparison to what I had been spending for years on medications....so, I reconciled it with myself that it was my insurance policy to ensure success of ridding myself of that tether to a pillbottle.

As to percentage, I have not detoxed without using the formula so its really hard to say on that. I have no doubt though that without the formula, for me personally I am not sure that I would have made it through the Xanax or Tramadol detox without it. I would have likely made it on the Vicodin detox but I think it would have been twice as bad. I can tell you the most recent gal to do it, just got her Vicodin RX for 120 pills filled last Wed and by the following Tues she had only 1 pill left. She was forced into this because no more pills....cold turkey from 120 pills in one week type habit to 0, OUCH. I gave her the list to help as she was terrified as to what to expect and could not tell her husband what she had done. Well, today is Day 3 cold turkey for her which is usually one of the worst days, and she remarkably states she feels pretty good and thusfar is having minimal WDs---pretty phenominal, but things could be delayed...who knows, bless her heart. I know the principal thing from the list of what she is using that she seems to be crediting the difference to is the Zinc/Mag (must be taken w/food or it will make you sick). I know that she is also using Immodium and other things from the list to help, but she has not yet specified exactly what things. She was thrust into detox with no planning so no time to plan and shop in advance so she is having to use things that she already had at home, and fortunately she had Zinc, Immodium, and a few others. I will ask her specifically what she has.

Once you cut that pillbottle tether rope, the rope wraps tightly around the pole for a few days while in WDs, but then it loosens, lets go, and hangs straight giving you control of YOUR life back....FREEDOM. It is a wonderful feeling to be a full functioning memeber of my family again and not thinking of pills the first thing when I wake up in the morning. Anyway, hope I have answered your questions; am happy to help.

Last edited by jam338; 02-24-2006 at 12:33 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to jam338 For This Useful Post:
Sdguertin (05-27-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2006, 10:39 PM   #2
(female)

LVNMYLIFE HB User
Re: Vicodin Home Detox Plan

Oh my gosh!!!

All I can say is thank you for posting this. From the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU!!! I am on a taper now and will be shopping tomorrow for all of this, whatever helps.

I am so motivated and you just fired me up even more. I WILL BE THERE VERY VERY SOON.

I went from 20 a day to 10 to 6 and today I took only 5. Almost there. (hydrocodone 10/325). It is working for me, I was fine today. a little sore but still manged to run the house (3 kids ages 7, 2 & 10 months, all with the flu, runs & puking).

Old 02-03-2006, 03:13 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

jam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB User

Luvn, you are quite welcome. Its great that you are doing a taper. It is very hard I know....we have all been on some form of taper at some point if nothing more than splitting pills to make them last between RX refills....so I understand what you are going through is a real challenge, but good for you in your determination!! Focus on how great you are going to feel when it is over!!! Start building up your body nutrient base now w/good multi-vitamin and a multi-mineral, add additional C & E as they are excellent anti-oxidants. Most multi-vitamins have some minerals in them but you will need an additional broad spectrum multi-mineral supplement, plus extras of some particular vitamins; most importantly the Zinc, B-Complex pillform and B-Complex Sublingual Liquid Drops. The reason for both pillform and drops in the B-Complex is the pillform has higher levels of all the Bs except B-12 which is pointless to put in pillform because the body can not absorb it very well from pillform. B-12 is vital for energy and the central nervous system, but the body can only absorb it from natural dietary sources, injectable form, or sublingual liquid form under the tongue. The B-Complex sublingual w/B-12 has an elevated amount of B-12 w/very low amounts of the other B-Vitamins so it works well in harmony together.

Substance abuse in any form substantially robs the body of vital nutrients. For example, something we can all relate to as well is alchohol hangovers. Almost everyone has had one at one time or another in their life where the next morning you have the jittery shakes and jittery nauseous stomach. That is because high alcohol intake depletes the body of Vitamin Bs. If you take a VitB-Complex, 100 mg, before you leave the house or have first drink, it will substantially mitigate the hangover feeling. It will help even more if you also drink 2-3 glasses or more of water throughout the evening. Now will that work for heavy binge drinkers? Probably not. Will it work for people who have just a little more than they should? For most, probably yes, at least you will be somewhat functional the following day and not porcelain royalty or with one foot hanging off the bed

Vicodin addiction is not all that different, with the exception that the chemical composition in it blunts the body's ability to feel the full force of the nutrient depletion. However, once the Vicodin is stopped, that is felt full force and whiplash WDs begin. The goal is to mitigate that effect. Building a solid nutrient base BEFORE detox substantially helps and results in a more stabilized detox with lessened WDs. Adding the nutrients only AFTER the detox WDs have started requires substantially increased supplement levels and results in rollercoaster WDs, but can be done. The greatest success and the best for your body comes from the most stabilized and sensible approach; i.e., building a solid nutrient base first and supports more reasonable supplement levels during detox.

Exercise as much as you can. For the first several minutes your body's workmen are all trying, but they all doing different things and not working in efficient harmony together. It takes 20-30 min of exercise to get them synchronized and working in efficiently. Once they get used to it, they get organized and get on the job on their own more quickly. It is the only way to get your body's own natural factory working again. You see, not only have you been trapped in a Vicodin haze for sometime now, so has your body's workmen. They have all become slackers because they weren't needed as long as you were externally providing what nature designed them to do. So, they have been on a longggggggggg coffee break for however long you have been externally supplying a different source. Once the external source stops, it sends fire alarm bells loudly clanging and the workmen have jumped up and are running around all in different directions to finding to find their gear and figure out what the hell they did with the keys to the truck!!! It will take them a few days to get back on the job efficiently for you, but they will. They are designed by nature to do it naturally. By exercising YOU get them organized and it is your body's natural process of giving them instruction on what to do for you. If you don't give the instruction/exercise, they will eventually figure it out on their own, but it will take them longer without a crew leader, YOU!

Last edited by jam338; 02-03-2006 at 03:21 AM.

Old 02-03-2006, 04:24 AM   #4
(female)

gina042 HB User

WOW - Thank you, for having all this information on hand helps me to feel secure with detoxing!

I don't know what else to say but Thank you!!!!!!!!

~Gina~

Old 02-03-2006, 07:03 AM   #5
Inactive

Twinlynn HB User

Jam -

Although I'm currently on Sub and not fighting withdrawal, I just had to come on and tell you how much your post will be treasured by all who have thought about--are going through--or remember detoxing from opiates. You are so, so kind to have given us so many specifics...and answered all the questions we can never think of when we need to ask them! LOL!

Your blow-by-blow, minute-by-minute detox "rescue guide" should get a Pulitzer prize for service journalism! :-) It deserves to be part of the "Dummy" guide series...."The Dummy's Guide to Detox"!!!!

Thanks a million, Lynn :-)

Old 02-03-2006, 07:20 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

GreenMM HB User

I have tried some of what you have suggested and i must say exercise is probably the most effective of all. Starting Day2 - get at least 30 minutes and continue on Day3 and Day3 if possible. Out of sheer torture do I endure it during the WDs but afterwards, it most definitely stablizes your brain and body. Its very effective. I would say it is much more effective than some of the amino supplements. Also continue to do this in the PAWS stage as well. I have detoxed from Subutex and hydros several times already so I found that exericse was the most effective regimen out of them all.

Don't forget that the Immodium AD or Lomotil (RX)are opiods and non-addicting but can also decrease physical WDs. But you must taper off it if you use it. Do a search here for Immodium and how much to take depends on your hydro usage.

Good luck and take care.

Last edited by GreenMM; 02-03-2006 at 07:22 AM.

Old 02-03-2006, 08:31 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

You are quite welcome. If the post only helps but 1 person then it was worth my time and effort to do it. The fear of *what* to expect from detox is horrifying, especially for first time. Just knowing what to expect and some possible coping options somehow substantially strengthens people's ability to endure detox. Otherwise what happens is when WDs start getting "the meanies", the fear factor kicks in and works on your mind---all at the same time that your body cravings are acting like a damn 2yr old pitching a fit in the floor to MAKE you give in and give it what it craves. It is a challenge to cope with it all happening simultaneously and at a time when your clarity of thought is at its worst so you aren't able to analyze and sort it out while in the midst of WDs. That is why a well plan and prepared for detox is invaluable. When the ****** starts hitting the fan, you know what it is, how long to expect it on your doorstep, which all somehow helps to find the much needed inner strength to hang in there and endure. The detox process works up to a peak, usually between days 3-4, and just when it feels it is at its absolute worse and scaring the hell out of you is when many abort detox out of fear it will get worse or just not knowing what to expect....when in fact they are unknowingly right at the peak. If they can just hang on and endure it for the next 24-48 hours, it progressivlely turns the corner and starts to stabilize. Once the body realizes that you are NOT going to give it what it craves, like the 2 yr old pitching the fit, it will get physically exhausted from the fight and let go, relinquishing control to you. You will have won, but you must immediately take charge because like the 2 yr old it is going to try and test you just to see if you were serious. Your challenge is trying to show that YOU are in charge, through exercise, at a time when you will be physically exhausted from the battle. Your legs will begin to feel so heavy that they feel like they should be on someone's body. They just don't won't to work right for you. It will feel it is impossible during this phase to exercise, but there are things that you can and MUST do to work those muscles and let your body sense that YOU are giving the instructions. It is a re-training process. Start with the muscle tightening/release exercises mentioned in the 1st post or lift free wieghts with arms to get muscles and those little endorphin workmen organized and functioning....don't let em be slackers. When you slack off, it sends a signal to your brain to look for an EXTERNAL source, and "the craving critter" will revisit you agian. After the heavy legs phase and the feeling lifts, your nerve endings will start to come to life....they aren't used to functioning efficiently so they may have periodic misfires and give you muscle twitches and restless legs...HOT BATHS...Aspercreme and Hot Rice Packs(see 1st post on instructions) will help, WALK 20-30 min., and be sure to take the Zinc,w/food or it WILL make you sick---people have posted experiencing significant differences in muscle taming using Zinc. You may not yet be able or feel like dressing and going outside to walk. Its best if you can to get fresh air, but if you can't just walk around your house. I about wore my carpet and stairs out I think. When I planned my second detox I used one those small home exercise joggers, about $25 and it stores well on its side.

Detox is truly a battle of strength of wills; yours against the drug demon that has taken up residence in your body. You have to do the work and handle your own exorcism of the demon you let get ahold of you. You need to get YOU back in the driver seat of YOUR life again and in charge of YOUR destiny. Otherwise you are just along for the ride of wherever you are allowing that drug demon to take you. If you aren't steering your own wheel, then WHO is??? Scarey thought, isn't it? How could one reasonably expect to not crash and burn if you are allowing an addiction to determine and guide the course of YOUR life???? It's a difficult issue to face. We have all been there. But, once you ask yourself those questions and knowingly don't take charge of your direction, there isn't much left but for your loved ones to watch the flame burn out and mourn the loss of wonderful soul from their life, because even as a living being you aren't a full functioning loved one meeting anyone's needs-----not even your own.

Last edited by jam338; 02-03-2006 at 08:47 AM.

Old 02-04-2006, 05:59 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Hello everyone. Since clearly there are a several folks reading this thread I decided to add additional information about how I first ended up on the painkiller merrygoround in hopes that it may help others to recognize signs/concerns more quickly than I did.

I struggle w/Fibromyalgia. My doctor's treatment philosophy was pain meds which is how I ended up on long-term Vicodin in the first place. I was frst placed on it for a back injury, and during the diagnostic of that back injury they learned I also had Fibromyalgia, voila--painkillers. After I built tolerance/dependency, and the Rush Limbaugh media coverage mess, I wanted off. My doctor switched me to Tramadol/Ultram, which he said was non-addictive; wrong. For me that detox was actually worse than Vicodin. The leg syndrome and central nervous system impact of the Tramadol detox was worse. My doctor insisted it couldn't be because it is supposedly not addictive. All you have to do is read message boards online and see what others post on their experience with Ultram/Tramadol, and you will see it is clearly addictive w/WDs. After that experience I should have stayed off for good, but allowed my doctor to put me back on the Vicodin again. Big mistake, can't believe I was so stupid to let that happen after what I had been through already from it-- but I did. My doctor said I would be fine fine w/it since I had been off of it for months. Well, I wasn't fine with it. I should have STAYED off of it! Within 3 months, perhaps even sooner and I just didn't sense the signs, I had rebuilt tolerance and dependency again. After that, I decided I absolutely have to get off of ALL this RX level painkiller stuff for good because clearly the medical field just doesn't know enough about it. I mean when they put you on stuff and tell you it is non-addictive and with your own experience you learn that for you it is worse??? The bottom line is they just don't know or they are not being honest about it. Either way, it means I am done being a long term lab rat regarding RX level painkillers

Now, I rely on OTC stuff, nutritional supplements, exercise, hot/cold pak therapy, TENS unit when it is really bad, acupuncture, and accupressure massage. For me, those things knock off the edges of it much of the time, but not always. But, then after I built tolerance/dependency w/painkillers not only did that no longer work, I now had a dependency problem to detox from So, for me, I was in a far worse situation in the long run. While the things I am doing now doesn't eliminate the pain completely, neither did the painkillers long term (only very short term for me), this is better for my needs. Now, I reflect back on it and wish I had realized all this more quickly and done something much sooner than I did. All the special events for loved ones through the years where I was awol because of being too "sick" to go. I realize now that what I was actually experiencing each month at the end of the RX cylce was miniseries days of WDs. I never tried to find "other supply resources", thank God because if I had then I may never have come to the much needed self-realization that I had to get off of it.

What has brought me back to the boards again reviewing posts, where I was compelled to post what I know to help others, is that I am now facing surgery again in a month which means short-term painkillers. I am wondering about the experience of others regarding dependency re-hook limits w/short-term post surgery painkillers?ny reply posts on that would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks

Old 02-04-2006, 09:24 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

BeginAgain HB User

Hi jam. I don't know how long you have been clean, maybe I've missed that somewhere. But I can tell you that for me "short term" pain killers is how I got myself into trouble and onto a horrid roller coaster ride that lasted over a year. I am not trying to be pessimistic. There were times in my 11 years of clontinuous clean time that I had to have pain killers and truly took them short term, flushed the rest and didn't look back. Like, 4 years ago I had a hysterectomy. I took meds in the hospital through IV for about 12 hours after surgery. Went home with a prescription for Percocet and Mepergan if needed. I took Percocet like 3 times in the next 2 days and flushed the rest - never looked back.

But in August 2004 I injured myself at work. Long story short I was hooked on Hydro before I knew what hit me. Part of it for me was relaxing my program, not talking to others about what I was going through and keeping the idea in my head that I could handle it. I didn't get off them until September 2005 and then spent another several months battling another addiction to a product that was 10 times more horrible. I have now finally been off that for 6 days. The key for me has been talking about it, sharing with others (I'm involved in NA), going to therapy, being honest with my family, journaling, reading recovery related materials, light exercise and other uplifting things to keep myself occupied. I have been dancing around the house this morning to some of my teenage sons music . As ridiculous as that might sound....I feel so much better.

I guess my advice would be to keep the focus on recovery, share with someone close to you that can help keep you in check, get involved in meetings if you feel comfortable doing that, buy or print out some recovery related materials and read, post here or on other recovery centered boards, write and ofcourse follow your own wonderful advice about supplements and other aids to keep the focus.

God bless and good luck.

Old 02-04-2006, 03:38 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

GreenMM HB User

BeginAgain-
Your stories always seem to amaze me. You've been through alot girlfriend! I'm so in awe of you and your accomplishments- personally and professionally. You sound so wise in all of this. I'm very proud of what you've done and you keep on! Uuugggghhh to the rip off product.

Jam338- I was talking to my massage therapist about fibro for a friend. She actually is treating one of her clients that way through massage therapy. She says it has helped her tremondously. You are absolutely RIGHT about all of that exercise , raising your heart rate, building lean muscle mass and getting as much as endorphins as much as possible during WDs days. I found that to be the best medicine....

Good luck all and take care.

Old 02-06-2006, 12:12 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

I was on it for about 5 years. During that time I have detoxed 3 times, using variations of this formula, associated w/3 different medications; Xanax, Vicodin, & Tramadol.

It would really be nice if the medical profession would figure this ****** out so we don't have to concoct our own formula by hit/miss trials without a clue. I am convinced they know, and just aren't telling us. I mean if I have figured out as much as I have as a layperson then I know they know...they have to. This stuff isn't rocket science for pete's sake. They can put a man on the moon---they can figure this out. But just imagine how much money the pharmaceutical companies would loose from the millions they make on poor schleps like us? So, it should come as no surprise to us that it is in their best financial interest to do exactly as they do...nothing. They reconcile that reasoning with the fact that we are grown adults and have the right to make responsible choices for ourselves. Well, I exercised my right to do just that.

The trouble I have now is really watching my doctors who carelessly prescribe whatever without telling me the real dangers or worse yet telling me there ISN'T a danger....like I was told regarding Ultram/Tramadol they switched me to when I expressed concern about the Vicodin. Those WDs me were worse for me than w/the Vicodin! I am now close to paranoid level about what my doctors prescribe because with each medication I was prescribed by a doctor and never bought *other supply resources*.

People who reading these posts will hopefully learn from some of our experiences and avoid what we have been through. I trusted and followed exactly what the doctors prescribed. Because of that, I never thought I had a problem with it. I knew *some* people had problems but *those* were the people who buy it on the street or online...not prescribed by a doctor, *like me*...WRONG. I didn't know I had a problem until it was too late. Reflecting back on it now, the first warning signs for me were when I felt the urge to take early doses and wondered if I should take my doctor up on his offer to increase level/type of medication.....then when I started worrying about working my personal life schedules around when my RX was due....next sign was when I had to start splitting pills because of accommodating early doses and my determination to not change meds...I'd just make these work but change my doseages around....*just based on needs*. Then sometimes I had fleeting thoughts about just wondering if online sources really work and how all that works.........IF *those* kinds of thoughts are going through your head....combined with the fact that *something* broght you to this board in the first place as evidenced by the fact that you are even reading this at all....then you already have an *awareness*, though perhaps maybe not quite yet an acceptance, that there may be a problem. If you are wondering at all, then it is time to do something. I just wish I had realized that earlier than I did.

GREEN, yes, if any one single thing must be the answer, then it would unquestionably be exercise. The human body is a marvelous creation designed to heal itself and care for itself. The "booster button switch" to the brain is exercise. Physical exercise exerts "a demand" on the body which signals the brain to produce "extra" of everything that will help it to heal itself physically and emotionally. All of the supplements in the home detox are intended to be time limited assist aides to help the body during the worst of WDs when a person is generally not very capable of exercise. The goal is to support the body with time-limited OTC coping supplements that will enable them to reach the physical energy/endurance point where exercise can begin; with a taper of the OTC supplements thereafter---ultimately replacing most, if not all, the OTC supplements with a good exercise program.

Old 02-06-2006, 10:59 PM   #12
(male)

syzygy111 HB User

Jam,

I've been lurking and trying to find the courage to take the first step to FREEDOM from Hydrocodone. Reading what you've posted here and when you wrote "...if it helps ONE person".....I felt you were talking to me.

I don't know how I'm going to do it; but I've got to. I'm tired....tired of being controled...tired of making sure I have a pill in my pocket.....tired and ashamed of what I've become. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared to death but I've reached the end of this road and simply cannot continue taking the damn pills.

I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting this and if I do; please forgive me and bear with my mistakes. I need help and it seems to be here so here I am.

I don't have anything to contribute other than whining about my lack of responsibility and letting this take over my life.

If there is help here; help me......

Old 02-07-2006, 08:18 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

Syzy, many of us have felt what you feel. You have taken a hard first step, the decision to make a change in your life. You CAN do it. It won't be without a challenge, but with determination and courage you WILL prevail. Look at it this way, sooner or later in life you will HAVE to take this step anyway, it is inevitable for all. Life is truly very short, so whatever the bad parts are for any of us it is best to muster up the courage to stomp through the worst parts to shorten them as much as possible and fill your life with the quality good parts to the greatest extent possible. In doing nothing, we are in fact choosing to stay in the bad parts for longer than necessary whatever reason, and in my opinion that is truly when professional help is needed because we are incapable of truly helping ourselves. You, however, have recognized that you need to make a positive change and improve your quality of life. And, you will be so glad that you did.

I think that most failed detoxes are the result of not having a plan where when the worst part hits it is easier to allow yourself to abort. If you are prepared, know what to expect and have coping options to assist you to ride it out you will get to the other side of it. Read back through this thread to familiarize yourself with the detox cycle; plan and shop for your OTC detox coping options. Make sure you note times, what you take and in what combinations, and effectiveness for you....everyone's chemistry is different so you have to somewhat experiment with what combinations help take the edge off for you. Vicodin has a half-life of 4-8 hours, so that means that 8-16 hours after last dose is when the effects of WDs will begin....they will progressively increase and peak about days 3-5, lasting between 24-48 hours, varies based on individual chemistry. Some people feel WD relief between Day 4-5. Basically what you can expect is feeling like you have the worst case of the flu you have ever had. Symptoms vary among individuals, for example, many get diahhreah with fewer numbers reporting vomitting---I never had either of those, just some nausea for me....I had horrible joint aches, extreme "coffee jitters", headaches, and sleeplessness....a feeling that I just couldn't be "still with myself" ...the leg syndrome with cycle of restless legs/heavy legs/restless legs again.....difficulty concentrating....very easily aggitated....emotional roller coaster feeling from irritable to easily angered to weepy.

Just know that when it seems that it is at its worst is when you are about to turn the corner and reach the other side. Even after reaching the other side where the worst subsides your body still has to rebalance and build itself back again through good diet, supplements, and EXERCISE.

Plan your detox where your worst days will be days off from work. While some people have posted early in their detox that they are still working , my guess is that most if not all of them end up aborting the detox when the worst starts because I just can not imagine a person being able to continue working during that phase so for some they have no choice but to abort in order to be able to continue working. I know there is no way I personally could have worked during it....but, detox WDs are not exactly the same for every person. All of us have our own unique chemistries and state of health conditions so it affects us to greater and lesser degrees. Also know that many folks on another board have posted profound WD relief was obtained by taking Zinc/Magnesium, but make sure you eat food before taking it or it WILL make you very sick on your stomach. Also they say to get maximum benefit from it you really need to start taking it a week before commencing the detox. For those who have already started detox and looking for coping options, know that others who were already in detox before starting the Zinc posted they still received some relief with it so it is worth a consideration to start it.

Envision the process much like cutting loose a ball tethered to a pole.......when you cut lose your Vicodin tether bottle, your rope is going to wrap tightly around the pole for a few days w/WDs...then it will loosen, let go, and hang straight.....you just have to hang on while your body re-regulates itself again and kicks up its own natural production factory of endorphins to deliver natural dopamine from your internal source....it will work....you are designed by nature......you can prime the pump to get it working sooner and more efficiently by placing a demand for it on the body through exercise....very hard to do until you are through the worst of WDs however, but do as much as you can, it will help...even if you are only able to do resting position muscle tightening/relaxing exercises....just tighten muscles as rigidly as you can for as long as you can to place a demand signal from the muscle to the brain to get working damnit.
You have to wretch control back from the drug demon that has hijacked the operation of YOUR factory. You can do it. If I can do it, trust me, ANYONE can do it. I was absolutely terrified to detox on my own...wondering if I could do it without having to tell anyone.....I was just too humiliated to tell a soul about what I had allowed to happen to me so I was determined. That being said, there are people who MUST tell others in order for them to be successful where they need to have external pill controls or emotional support. I knew that was not me. My situation was that I had become drug dependent with RX through my doctor...my situation was not recreational at all....in fact I had been on the RX for so long that there was no euphoria effect at all and I never increased levels or bought sources elsewhere chasing that euphoria....for me it was about pain management and over time became about dependency managagement....fortunately I never evolved to the next level of abuse management...thank God....my heart sincerely goes out to all who are in that situation and still find the internal strength to fight and come back. I can only imagine how hard of a struggle that must be.

Last edited by jam338; 02-07-2006 at 08:33 AM.

Old 02-09-2006, 06:41 PM   #14
(female)

bocana HB User

What a great post! But what about alcohol abuse? Would these things help with home detox of alcohol?

Old 02-16-2006, 09:39 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Bocana, while I am not a medical professional, from a layperson's perspective, I think the detox formula options would help with any type of substance abuse detox.

Substance abuse of any type depletes/robs the body of its own natural resources.......so, it stands to logically reason that replenishing those resources in mega doses plus "bridging" w/OTC treatment support options would help to lessen WDs.

Closed Thread