It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2006, 05:50 AM   #1
(female)

lmalito HB User
Unhappy Xanax Withdrawal

Hi Everyone - I originally had posted to get some advice on Xanax addiction out of fear that my boyfriend was addicted and I appreciate all of the advice. I am very concerned right now and so I am calling on yall again. My boyfriend is in jail sitting out some warrants and was pretty heavy on taking handlebars (2mg) everyday...more than 1 a day...at the very least on a good day he would end up taking only 2 but for the most part enjoyed taking several. I tried to warn him of all the symptoms of the withdrawal that he could be facing by going into jail and having to go cold turkey...he didnt listen of course b/c he didnt see that he had a problem. Well last night we got some really scary news...since he is in County he is able to call collect and he got a hold of one of his parents good friends (his parents phone company SWB doesnt accept collect calls for some reason down here) but anyways he told them that they needed to contact us to let us know that he had a seizure!!! Apparently he is doing ok...they are monitoring his blood...and when they brought him in they said his sugar count was very low and his white blood cell count was really low too!!! It was like my worst nightmare...luckily someone found him though and they called for help and they got him somewhere either the hospital or infirmary...I just thank God someone found him at this point. My question to anyone out there who has gone through these withdrawals is...if you have one seizure is it likely for you to have more or is it just a one time thing?? What kind of damage does it do to the brain or his body for that matter?? His mom is going to go see him today since she had the day off so I will know more hopefully by this afternoon...at least I will know that he is indeed ok! In the meantime I will be doing research here at work on seizures and withdrawals and you guys always have such great advice so I would appreciate any that you can give me! Please keep him in your prayers...I wish he was home so that I could be there with him through all of this...I hate that he has to do this alone!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2006, 11:10 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

jam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB User
Re: Xanax Withdrawal

hi, sorry about your situation. Xanax is a short half-life drug in the benzodiazepine family. Guidelines suggest that to lessen the risks of detox from Xanax and to lessen its harsh WDs a person is wise to do a bridge taper by switcing from a short half life benzo to a longer half life drug, like Valium, and then do a very slow taper over several months. Switching to a a longer half life and a very slow taper blunts the sharp dropoff of short half life benzodiazepines that slam a person into intense WDs and presents risks like those your b/f unfortunately experienced.

You may want to review threads on Benzodiazepine aka Benzos or BZDs. To learn more information, Professor Heather Ashton in the United Kingdom has published on line free regarding her extensive research and published work regarding benzodiazepine, particularly THE ASHTON MANUAL. The bridge tapering guidelines are included. Just type her name and The Ashton Manual into Google and it should take you to it. Good luck.

Last edited by jam338; 03-01-2006 at 11:15 AM.

Old 03-01-2006, 12:03 PM   #3
(female)

lmalito HB User

Thanks Jam338...I had heard about her before from you so I have already been looking at her information! I wish there was a way I could have made him taper down...now its too late! His mom went to see him today and we were very lucky that someone in there was familiar with seizures b/c he knew exactly what to do with my boyfriend in order to keep him from hurting himself! My boyfriend is convinced that since the hospital mentioned something about diabetes that its from that...well we would have known he had diabetes long before this I would think and he is having a few of the symptoms of withdrawal from benzo's already. His mom said he was very shaky, of course the seizure and I am sure it is not helping where he is at with the side effect of depression or agression...I printed off a bunch of info though to send to him today...including parts of the Ashton Manual. Thank you so much for your help!

Old 03-01-2006, 12:07 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

I am so sorry. But I had a feeling he would do that. We talked about that, remember? if they are watching him closely, he will be fine. the seizure is one side effect from going cold turkey. If you remember, my son went back to Texas a couple weeks ago and had to dry out cold turkey for 4 days!! He was sick and miserable. He now swears he will NEVER take Xanax again. Well, we will see. the withdrawals can be bad, if you've taken them a while and it only takes a couple weeks to become addicted, that's why I say to ALL...don't ever take them...even if a doctor presscribes them.....NO< NO< NO!!!! His worst days are prob over with now. and who knows, maybe this will do it for him. that seizure could have killed him....and Yes seizures do damage to your brain. When he gets out, talk him into going to doctor and getting a complete physical, cat scan and all!!! This may be his turning point. It will take months, maybe a year for his head to clear....and some people's head never clears of they've done damage. I pray for him and hope this is his wake up call.

Old 03-01-2006, 12:59 PM   #5
(female)

lmalito HB User

Hey Flintrock...I was hoping I would hear from you! I am in agreeance with you...I hope this is his turning point...he told his mom today after she told him the seizure was from withdrawals that he wasnt going to do them anymore even though he feels its diabetes! I just hope he sticks to that...I printed off some info and highlighted all the important stuff that I thought pertained to him and so I just hope he reads it now! I am going to see him Friday so that will put me at ease! I was wondering if it had any type of bleeding damage to the brain...I would think so since your body is sent into convulsions...I think he should get a catscan too...I am just hoping that this is the end of the road for him with those! How is your son doing? My boyfriend puked for 5 hours straight after his seizure so maybe its finally starting to get out of his system for good! what he doesnt realize right now though is that just b/c he has been in there for 5 days he still has that stuff in his system...I read on some of the sites I went to today that withdrawals can last up to 3 months and even a year or two...of course I highlighted that! What a freaking journey thats for sure...let me know how everything is going in your situation! talk to you soon!

Old 03-01-2006, 05:40 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

Thanks for asking!! He called today and is moving back home from Texas. He says he misses us terribly and wants to come home. His girlfriend is coming too, she will stay with her mom until she can get on her feet. I used to blame her for all HIS mishaps...but I have learned that he would have gone down this road with her or without her. I'm glad I have worked through that. She really isn't so bad....I think she's actually been good for him. I am sooo against Xanax I can't describe it. I hate it ....and you and he will too...My son is coming home tomorrow night, and I am going to fatten him up...help him with his resume to get a job (he roofs and lays flooring) and sit down with him and lay down the rules....I know he's 20..almost 21...but he's under my roof and if he can't abide by the rules..he can move out anywhere he wants. I think he understands that and I think being away in someone elses home instead of his own, has made him appreciate that. We will see and I will keep you posted....and you keep me posted!!!!! Prayers are with you both!!!

Old 03-01-2006, 08:50 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

jam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB Userjam338 HB User

FYI: I was researching tonight and found something I felt should be added to this thread associated with benzodiazepine withdrawal seizure. There is a warning published online regarding antihistimines stating that the risks of seizure during benzodiazepine withdrawal may be increased with the use of antihistimes. [The Epilepsy Therapy Development Project report reviewed and edited by Steven C. Schachter, MD., March 2004.] If true, then those detoxing from benzodiazepines should not likely use any products that include antihistimines; e.g. Benadryl, TylenolPM, and sleep aids w/antihistimines. Consult with a doctor!

Old 03-02-2006, 05:18 AM   #8
(female)

lmalito HB User

Thanks Jam338...I will let him know that tom. when I go to see him! I found out that they are giving him some type of medicine...he didnt know what kind it was and took it the first night they gave it to him and he told his mom he was wired until 3 in the morning so he wasnt going to take it anymore until he knew what it was...its just a crazy situation in there...his mom talked to the infirmary nurse and she was so rude telling his own mother that she couldnt give any information out unless it was to that person directly! I mean I can understand everyone deserves privacy but HELLO its his mother and she was calling to see what all was going on but of course no help!!! anyways...Flintrock...I know you are so glad to have your son coming home...did he finish his treatments?? I hope that being away from home for a while has made him realize what is most important in his life and that is family!!! I got a letter from my boyfriend yesterday and its pretty interesting just to see how much he has already come to his senses...and these were written before the seizure...sometimes all they need is some time away to really evaluate what means the most to them!!! I am glad you are coming around on the girlfriend too...if she has hung around this long she must have good intentions!!! Well I wish you the best of luck with having him home...I am so glad to hear that he is going to start out fresh!!! I will keep you posted and hopefully my boyfriend has gone through the worst of it!!! take care and my prayers are with you and your family!

Old 03-02-2006, 06:18 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Privacy act makes it so hard for the moms. I know how she must feel. They won't tell you anything. they can get him to sign a form saying his mom can have knowledge of his medical issues. So, have her ask for the form and he can fill it out. The medical staff in jail is a joke...doctors are fine, but the nurses are wannabees.........too dumb to work anywhere else. Make her keep on them.....

Old 03-02-2006, 07:29 AM   #10
(female)

lmalito HB User

hmmm...we didnt think about that...although since she went to see him we know kinda what is going on with him...the only thing we are questioning is what they are giving him...hopefully he asked them last night b/4 taking it like he said he would! yeah some of those people in there (sorry to offend anyone reading this) but they let the power get to their head...sometimes I want to sit there and ask them why they are talking to me like im the one behind bars...all i want to do is ask simple questions!!! its crazy how rude they can be!!! anyways...well i gotta get back to work over here...talk to you later!!!

Old 03-02-2006, 02:46 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Remember I used to work for the Sheriff here...and if someone at the jail (medical staff) are rude or don't do what they're supposed to...get names and report them.......you do not have to take that!!!! And our Sheriff didn't like that either!!

Old 03-03-2006, 05:35 AM   #12
(female)

lmalito HB User

Yeah I have talked to some nice people but then I have also talked to some people who arent very nice at all!!! His mom just found out she got cheated out of 3 months worth of probation fees and fines...I have an itch to call that County up and give them a piece of my mind...they didnt notify us that they were revoking his probation until the day before his probation was up so that they could continue to get money for his fines and stuff!!! pretty low i think...I really wish I could call the judge or sheriff there and say...I think the money that was paid to you guys as an extra should be counted towards his time that he is already serving!!! but then again they can come back and say well your boyfriend didnt notify us of an arrest while on probation so why should we notify you about his probation being revoked for us finding out...oh well...live and learn i guess!!! but anyways...I'm going to see him today...I got a letter from him yesterday and he mentioned that the medicine they are giving him in there right now is called something like Mylenol...so I am going to pull some info up on that and see what it is for...he said it kept him wired the whole night!!! its white on one 1/2 and purple on the other!!! anybody know what its for? Oh and his dad talked to his lawyer yesterday and told him about the seizure...1st thing out of the lawyers mouth...was he taking Xanax?? he said he has several clients who have had seizures from them!!! pretty interesting thats for sure!!!

Old 03-03-2006, 03:46 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Give us an update after your visit...I have thinking about you guys today. And praying for you.........so I know you'll give us a good report!!!!

Old 03-03-2006, 11:41 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmalito
Yeah I have talked to some nice people but then I have also talked to some people who arent very nice at all!!! His mom just found out she got cheated out of 3 months worth of probation fees and fines...I have an itch to call that County up and give them a piece of my mind...they didnt notify us that they were revoking his probation until the day before his probation was up so that they could continue to get money for his fines and stuff!!! pretty low i think...I really wish I could call the judge or sheriff there and say...I think the money that was paid to you guys as an extra should be counted towards his time that he is already serving!!! but then again they can come back and say well your boyfriend didnt notify us of an arrest while on probation so why should we notify you about his probation being revoked for us finding out...oh well...live and learn i guess!!! but anyways...I'm going to see him today...I got a letter from him yesterday and he mentioned that the medicine they are giving him in there right now is called something like Mylenol...so I am going to pull some info up on that and see what it is for...he said it kept him wired the whole night!!! its white on one 1/2 and purple on the other!!! anybody know what its for? Oh and his dad talked to his lawyer yesterday and told him about the seizure...1st thing out of the lawyers mouth...was he taking Xanax?? he said he has several clients who have had seizures from them!!! pretty interesting thats for sure!!!
I think that med is also called Paracetamol, another name for it is acetaminophen, yes, basically Tylenol.

It could be that the benzo withdrawals may have been what hyped him up; it's doubtful the Tylenol did it.

Withdrawals from benzos like Xanax are like electrical storms in the brain....benzos cause the brain to stop making it's own calming/sleeping chemicals plus in time cause the brain to build a defense of stimulating receptors to fight the effects of benzos(tolerance effect). This leads to an imbalance of fewer calming receptors (mainly the GABA receptors) to too many stimulating ones.

So when one cold turkey's off benzos, their brain is lit up like the sky during a storm, an electrical storm of the brain so to speak.... worst case is the seizures as you know...the so called "minor" effects are shaking, nervousness, breathlessness and insomnia. Those certainly don't feel minor to the person experiencing them but I guess compared to seizure they are minor.

It might take some time to get things back to normal. While it might be right for drugs like heroin, cold turkey certainly isn't the smart way with benzos at all!

Old 03-04-2006, 06:03 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Maybe you could write a letter to the judge. Explain what's been going on with him and maybe judge would order rehab instead of jail...just a thought.

Closed Thread