It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2006, 10:48 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Boiler Bob HB User
Day 23 Cold Turkey-Oxycontin

Hi,

I just found this forum, & I hope this thread doesn't get too long.
I've been in chronic pain for 26 years, after getting shot 4 times.
I've had many surgeries over the years.
I lived with the pain for 17 years, then started on pain meds.
I ended up at 480mg Oxycontin, & 480mg Roxycontin for breakthrough pain.
I started tapering on my own 4 months ago, and went Cold Turkey 23 days ago.
Withdrawal was pure hell. I actually thought I was going to be able to go back to work at day 5. There wasn't any way, I was still in bad withdrawal.
I did go back at day 12, but it's been really hard. No energy at all!
I guess my question is, is there anything else I can do to help get it back?
I've been walking every day, & have to walk alot at work, but it seems to be a major struggle for me to just get off my butt & do it. Then I seem to be totally exhausted.
I have also been taking vitamin suppliments, & way too much Ibprophen.
Any help from someome who has been through this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob

Last edited by Boiler Bob; 05-16-2006 at 11:00 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2006, 12:14 AM   #2
(female)

NightSwan76 HB User
Re: Day 23 Cold Turkey-Oxycontin

Just want to let you know it WILL get better over time. I was where you were not too long ago. I am on week 5..I guess that would be day 36ish for me and I don't have any withdrawals. I haven't for a couple of weeks now. I have been taking Phenylalinine daily and working out. I feel normal, although the definition of that can mean anything! hehe. Just keep moving forward and know you will have good days and bad days. Never go back to Oxy or Roxy(been there, done that...they made you feel worse than Oxy).
Good luck!
Missy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2006, 12:38 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Boiler Bob HB User

Thanks NightSwan76 for the reply.
I'm out to work now, & I'm having a hard time just getting up to get my readings every hour. I sure hope is does come back, I'm not the kind of person to just sit around.(type a personality)
I'm taking a vacation after tonight (11 days) to try & recover a bit more. I'm hoping I'll be feeling somewhat better by the time I have to come back.
Don't worry about me going back to Oxy, I never want to go through withdrawal's again! Getting on pain meds was one of the dumbest things I ever did in my life, I had been living with pain for a long time at that point, but I just thought I had to have better meds. (DUMB!)

Old 05-17-2006, 12:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

madhatter HB User

Just wondering,did your pain go away?And you said you were on oxycotin 480,thats a long acting med,and are you sure the other med. was roxycotin,and not roxycodone? Anyway,you were on 480 of that,and thats a short acting med.[for breakthrough] Why would your base dose be the same as your b.t dose? Not that i don't believe you,i just find it wierd that any doc. would perscribe like that.23 days cold turkey,your doing great!And god bless you!

Old 05-17-2006, 01:04 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

Boiler Bob HB User

Your right is was roxycodone,sorry about that.
the Doc. I had was nothing but a Pill Pusher, not once did he ever examine me, he just went by my records.
He would keep me in the exam room for 1 to 2 hrs. talking politics, then finnaly ask me if I wanted, NOT NEEDED more meds. Of couse I would say YES! Thats just what I was getting when I finnaly Decided I needed to try & get off the crap.
He didn't want to help so I just Quit going to him, & did it on my own.

Old 05-17-2006, 01:06 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Boiler Bob HB User

By the way, yes I still live with PAIN. LOTS of IB.

Old 05-17-2006, 02:16 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Boiler Bob HB User

I'd like to give you all a little more background.

I didn't get shot from a drug deal or anything like that.
My Wife & I were at a major motel chain in the town I grew up in.
The man that shot me had started a fight inside the lobby. (we were not in it)
As soon as it went outside, he went down to his truck and got the gun.
In the meantime, My Wife & I came out the door & saw the fight. We decided it was none of our buisness and started to walk down a long covered walkway toward our vehicle. When we got near the end of it, He come up on the other side of the road, & pointed the gun at us.
He said one more step & your dead. I stepped in front of my wife, & he started blasting away.
He fired 7 rounds at me, hitting me with 4 of them.
He hit me in the chest first, bullet going through my left lung, & out. The second round hit me in the left leg shattering it. I went down! The rest he fired at me on the ground, hitting me in the neck, (ending up in my left shoulder) & in the guts. That was the one that almost killed me. It severed the Bile Ducts first, then went through my Liver, the Pancreas, my small intestens, (sp) My Colon, severed the Vena Cava, & ended up in my back at L3. It's still there. I was in surgury the first time for 11 hrs. I had a Colostomy, & a Bile bag for awhile. I've had to have my Liver worked on a couple of times to get the Bile back in. I almost bled out before they got me into surgery that night. I almost lost my left leg, and it has never been the same. I have metal fragments in my Chest, Leg, & Guts, I also have alot of stainless steel in there. I get Pancrentitas (sp) about 4 time a year. I also get Blocked Bowels several time a year. My back has hurt since that night, & I've had surgery on that to no avail.
I'm not looking for sympathy, I've lived with it for 26 years now. I just wish I would have never gotten on the heavy drugs. They really have screwed up my life at this point. I just decided if I wanted to retire in 4 more years that I couldn't keep putting out $500 a month on Doctor, & Scripts. I was living with the pain before, & I decided I could live with it again. So far I'm doing just that with the help of IB, & I hope to cut that back before it tears my insides up.

Old 05-17-2006, 03:15 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

madhatter HB User

Holy crap! Boiler bob,what are you going to do about the pain? I'm not trying to suggest going back to med. I usually am on the pain management board,i come here every so often i used to work at a rehab in upstste ny. I take oxycotin myself[80 mg tid and 15 mg oxycodone bid] I'm pretty sure you would know,but i'll tell ya anyway-theres other means for pain relief,you can try nerve blocks, epidural shots,etc. You were on a very high dose as you know,and to go cold turkey was dangerous.Sounds like you have two battles,one being cold turkey,wich,i got to hand it to ya,and the other being your pain.If your up to it,go over to the pain management board,you will get some great feedback about your pain .Hey B.B , stay in touch,ok!

Old 05-17-2006, 05:11 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Boiler Bob HB User

Thanks madhatter, I'll do that.
It's now just about time to go home, so I'll check back in when I get back on nights in 11 days.
By the way, I have tried Nerve Blocks,Bio Feedbak, & even Acupunture. Didn't help.

Old 05-17-2006, 01:03 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

mpvt HB User

What happened to the loser that shot you if you don't mind me asking????Dave

Closed Thread