It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2006, 09:01 PM   #1
(male)

steverope HB User
Question Methadone strength vs hydromorphone stength

Hi, I've been on 40mg of methadone for about 3 years now, and have heard so many stories about the protracted and horrific withdrawals that last for 2 months or more, so today I asked my MD if he would help me by giving me 8x8mg tab of hydromorphone for 1 week, the 7x8mg tabs of hydromorphone for a week then 6x8mg for a week and so on and so on until we got down to 1x8mg for the last week, the maybe a week or two of 4mgg tabs of hydromorphone, does anyone think this is a good idea to avoid the supposed hell of methadone withdrawl, or should I have just tapered my methadone over 2 months he is going to give me clonidine .2mgx2 daily when I start to feel weird as well as xanax 4-6mg daily the last month of my taper off the hydromorphone. I have 2 questions maybe and I pray someone can help......Was this a good idea to do, and is methadone(oral) stronger than hydromorphone(oral) and if so by what ratio, as my MD started me on 8x8mghyromorphone=56mg for the first week when I was taking 40mg of methadone forever, should I go back to gradual reducing of the methadone or do I have a good deal with my MD here.You see I gotta be ok to start Medical school out of province in Sept-Oct. so tell me honestly did I mes up, I've come off of hydromorphone before and was sick for only 2weeks or so then another week of tiredness, I hear that methadone can drag on and on...PLEASE HELP ME and what is stronger mg vs. mg Hydromorph or methadone? THANKS so much. I hope someone can help, because after Med school I don't care if I make a cent I will help those who are a slave to methadone if they need it. STEVEN

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2006, 04:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

FullCircle08 HB User
Re: Methadone strength vs hydromorphone stength

I will only add what I know-- Hydromorphone has a REALLY short life in your body. It is like 4 hours. I believe methadone is stronger than that. That would mean that you would start WD's very quick, I dont think that Hydromorphone is the drug of choice to taper with.

Closed Thread