It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2006, 02:31 PM   #1
(female)

Mistyeyze HB User
How long after you quit drinking till you feel better?

Hi, I'm looking for some info.

Someone close to me recently quit drinking about 3 days ago. Her intake was pretty much daily, I think. I would say 6-8 beers per night for at least several years. The decision to "slow down" was when her daughter recently got a dui at college. Anyhow- today she told me that she is feeling miserable because she thought she would feel great from not drinking and she says she is just more stressed. (Her life is kind of stressful) I said give it a few more days at least..... could this be withdrawl? I didn't want to say "withdrawl" but that's what I was wondering?

Any info so I can have a clue when we talk later tonight. We are supposed to go walking.

Thank you anyone in advance!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2006, 02:49 PM   #2
(male)

ET123 HB User
Re: How long after you quit drinking till you feel better?

Yep yep yep... About 2 weeks in my case. Like any other drug the body gets used to it's daily dose of whatever it may be. She'll feel better soon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2006, 03:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User

If she's an Alcoholic then stopping is only a small part of the problem and she would have been using alcohol to mask "issues" in her life. Really she will need a treatment program of sorts if she is going to remain happy and sober. This can take many forms and it's up to her to start investigating "if" she really wants to stop!

Old 06-18-2006, 09:17 AM   #4
(male)

Betrade HB User

I used to drink (quit over 20 years ago), but i basically got tired oif feeling BAD all of the time. Hangovers ruin your day, and mine would often last for two days. Now, I would feel better on the second day, but i wouldn't feel right. I was playing in a band and we could get all of the free drinks we wanted, so it was really easy to overindulge.

I basically got "sick and tired of feeeling sick and tired" as they say. My point is this; support her, and reassure her that once her boidy gets rid of all of the toxins, etc., she'll feel better overall. I would stress every positive thing about abstinence. There's the fact that she'll save money, and noit have to go out of her way to get her alcohol. There's the fact that her health will improve, because she's no longer ingesting a POISON daily. Just accentuate the positive to her and tell her she has your complete support.

In my case, I may have a drink on New years or something, but I never crave afterward, nor do I overindulge. I can drink socially with no worry about addiction anymore. I personally never bought into the notion that if you take a drink, you'll wind up back where you started. I have maybe one to two drinks about once a year, but I never get drunk, and I haven't been hungover in over twenty years. I know that many people need to stop forever, but in my case, abuse has never been an issue. But different people react differently.

Initiallly I stayed away from alcohol completely for over a year just to make sure that the cravings were completely gone. I would definitely reccomend that approach to anyone who wants to stop.

But overall, I would just be positive and supportive. Remind her that she DOES have the power to stop, and that if she does feel powerless, that she can always count on you for support, no matter what. It boils down to choice, and I would help her to continually choose to abstain. Substitute drinking with something positive and healthy instead.

Tell her that if she has the urge, you'll talk her out of it EVERY time, and any time, even if it's 3 o'clock in the morning and she has to wake you up from a good night's sleep. I would also not do any drinking yourself, at least for the first year ( I don't know if you drink or not). That way, she'll know that you're in this battle at her side, which is a great positive thing to do. This will show her that you want what's best for her, and that's what love really is in the end. Tell her she can do it, and that millions of others already do, and have, and have done very well with it.

Good luck to you, and her of course.

Closed Thread