It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2006, 07:12 PM   #1
(female)

c14a10 HB User
Suboxone Question

I know that if you take hyrdo while you're taking Suboxone it can make you sick. I'm wondering how long do you have to wait after taking Suboxone to safely take any kind of hydrocodone without it making you sick or anything? I'm trying to educate my co-worker.

Last edited by c14a10; 06-19-2006 at 07:14 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2006, 11:23 AM   #2
(female)

Over It 2day HB User
Re: Suboxone Question

Well Suboxone especially has a 36 hour life. If you take any opiates with it with Suboxone in your system- you will be in acute WDs . I believe so...I never have taken Suboxone and only Subutex. Suboxone has the nalxone in it so you can't get a buzz from the hydros whatsoever. Subutex is straight buprenex without the nalxone in it.

You may want to ask Ratch or Chef about it. They can answer more precisely your questions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2006, 06:03 PM   #3
(male)

Ratchet HB User

She can take it, but it wont do any good while on sub (Either one) sub has an affinity for blocking opioid receptors so the effects of other opioids are rarely felt. It is also dangerous for OD potential. The Naloxone added to the suboxone in NOT absorbed sublingually and it only has a 4 hr 1/2 life.It was just added to suboxone as a anti-abuse measure to prevent people from shooting up... HOWEVER some people still get a bad effect to naloxone even in trace amounts. Mixing Hydro and Sub is a bad overall idea. (It wont make you sick, as long as you are on the sub) If you are on the hydro and then take a sub it might block the hydro from working and send you into wd's. Its just a dumb overall combo..why ever start a drug like sub if you are planning to take Hydro.

Last edited by Ratchet; 06-20-2006 at 06:09 PM.

Old 06-21-2006, 07:46 PM   #4
(female)

kw5615 HB User

Actually, if you want facts from experience here is mine. I have been on sub since last August. I became addicted due to intractable back pain from ruptured discs. Recently I fell and split the back of my head open and had to get stitches. My doc that prescribes the sub gave me a card letting doctors know in the event i need pain medication, i require a HIGHER dose as a smaller dose wont work. They didnt buy it. So the next day I called my addictionologist who was livid about that. He said there will come a time when you need pain medicine. You should not be treated like any other person that needs pain relief. He called me in pain medicine himself. I dont know if this was a good idea or not, because now i know it DOES WORK while you are on Sub, you just have to take more if it on a short term basis, or else you will ruin your liver. Now I am slipping though and really want more pills. It is a slippery slope-

Old 06-22-2006, 12:45 PM   #5
(female)

Over It 2day HB User

Isn't buprenephrine a painkiller already? Shouldn't Sub do the trick to alleviate pain therefore you truly wouldn't need an analgesic for minor pain?

Aso- Ratch, you mentioned that the naloxone isn't absorbed sublinigually so how would it get into the bloodstream? There should be some absorption sublingually or do you mean that it can only absorbed 100% via IM and not SL? If SL- what is the absorption rate of naloxone into the bloodstream then? Therefore, naloxone in Suboxone - what truly is the life span?

Can you please clarify why you say some people get bad effects from the trace amounts of naloxone?

Old 06-22-2006, 12:56 PM   #6
(female)

c14a10 HB User

I originally wrote the post asking what would happen if you took them. A girl I work with that is on Suboxone was thinking of taking Vicodin and I told her not to. She already knew she shouldn't but wasn't sure what would happen. So far she says she hasn't taken any. I am doing great on the Suboxone myself. I have no desire whatsoever to take any kind of hydros or anything else. Being on Suboxone has helped me to realize though just how bad my anxiety problem is. For so long I was taking hydros and it masked the true issue of my panic/anxiety attacks. I would get them but not that bad. Now I get them and it's okay. I say that because I would rather know I suffer from anxiety than suffer from cravings for a hydro. I'm 3 weeks clean from anything other than the Suboxone. I am very proud of myself. Thanks for everyone's input.

Old 06-22-2006, 01:48 PM   #7
(male)

Ratchet HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over It 2day
Isn't buprenephrine a painkiller already? Shouldn't Sub do the trick to alleviate pain therefore you truly wouldn't need an analgesic for minor pain?

Aso- Ratch, you mentioned that the naloxone isn't absorbed sublinigually so how would it get into the bloodstream? There should be some absorption sublingually or do you mean that it can only absorbed 100% via IM and not SL? If SL- what is the absorption rate of naloxone into the bloodstream then? Therefore, naloxone in Suboxone - what truly is the life span?

Can you please clarify why you say some people get bad effects from the trace amounts of naloxone?
Over,
Yes its a pain med, but it really isnt all that strong as far as reducing pain (Or taking your mind off the pain) as full agonist opioids are.

Naloxone is NOT absorbed SL however trace amounts are still absorbed via the stomach. Even if you spit out every drop of saliva while sucking on a sub there will still be trace detected. The Naloxone makes up about 25% of every suboxone pill and IM and IV (And snorting) are the only ways to get the full dose of naloxone.. People also suggest that the Naloxone in suboxone blocks a little more of the partial agonist effect than subutex or buprenex (both formulations that contain no naloxone) Meaning you feel better/higher (more agonist effect) when leaving the Naloxone out (even though only trace is getting in to the bloodstream via the stomach).. However other people say they have noticed no difference at all. And sceintific testing has revealed that the Naloxone does NOT interfere with the effects of the buprenorphine, however many users will beg to differ.

Ratch

Last edited by Ratchet; 06-22-2006 at 01:50 PM.

Old 06-22-2006, 05:19 PM   #8
(female)

Over It 2day HB User

Good going C14a10 there on being on Suboxone instead of pills. How long were you abusing opiates prior to going the sub route? What is your long term plan?

Thanks Ratch for clarifying things ! Take care

Old 06-23-2006, 08:28 PM   #9
(female)

c14a10 HB User

Hey Over
When I first started on here I had said 2-3 years. Now that I'm thinking alot more clearly these days it's closer to 4 yrs. I am doing pretty good so far. Don't get me wrong I still think about taking a hydro now and again but..What for? The guilt just isn't worth it. My back apparently doesn't hurt as much as I thought it did while I was taking the Lortab and Soma's. I take as little as possible of the Suboxone. I try not to take the full dose my doctor has me on. It's just that much more I have to taper off of. I think about that good feeling the hydro's gave me. Then in the same second I remember feeling like such a loser. I wish I had found out about Suboxone much sooner but I'm glad it is out there. It gives me peace to have hope and faith. I just want others to not think they're alone. If I can give a little bit of my hope and faith to someone and it gives them enough peace for them to feel whole again then it's worth sharing my story. Noone should have to go through this alone.

Old 07-20-2007, 09:40 AM   #10
(female)

omasue HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5615 View Post
Actually, if you want facts from experience here is mine. I have been on sub since last August. I became addicted due to intractable back pain from ruptured discs. Recently I fell and split the back of my head open and had to get stitches. My doc that prescribes the sub gave me a card letting doctors know in the event i need pain medication, i require a HIGHER dose as a smaller dose wont work. They didnt buy it. So the next day I called my addictionologist who was livid about that. He said there will come a time when you need pain medicine. You should not be treated like any other person that needs pain relief. He called me in pain medicine himself. I dont know if this was a good idea or not, because now i know it DOES WORK while you are on Sub, you just have to take more if it on a short term basis, or else you will ruin your liver. Now I am slipping though and really want more pills. It is a slippery slope-

Hi, I have a question to your experience taking your pain medication. (I am assuming it was Hydro) It was not clear to me if it releived your pain or gave you a buzz by taking more to make it work. Could you clarify that for me? Thanks bunches!

Last edited by omasue; 07-20-2007 at 09:41 AM. Reason: misspelled

Old 07-20-2007, 11:31 AM   #11
(female)

2nd_chance HB User

I thought that I would chime in as well since I have mixed the sub with hydrocodone. I initially took hydrocodone about 2 weeks or so into my first try with suboxone due to dental work. I asked the sub doctor (who is also a primary care doc) if it would be safe and he said yes, it would probably help with pain. Then he seemed to remember why he was treating me and added that I shouldn't take pain pills though! I took them and it seemed to help with the pain somewhat. I was in a lot of pain. The only thing is that it is a slippery slope. After getting the hydros back in my system it made me want more. I discontinued the sub and got back on hydros. I've been this route a few times (I know, very stupid) and I am now on sub, for the second week, trying like hell to stay this route and not quit this time. The second time I took hydros while on sub a friend came over and had a big bottle of lortab 7.5 mgs. I hadn't had any for weeks and took 2. Within an hour I was vomiting. It just made me feel horrible. I have found that after being on sub, the hydros don't seem to work. You take more and more b/c you won't feel them as much as you used to. I know the sub stays in your system for 3 days. I think it's even longer than that from my personal experience. It's a quick way to up your dosage and tolerance of hydrocodones if you start, and I guess an easy way to overdose. You can't feel them so you just take more and more. Not gonna work on sub.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:42 PM   #12
(male)

JJx23 HB User

Suboxone stays in your system for 48-72 hours, after that you can take pain medication (for it to make any difference of course). I was just thinking to myself that if you ever did need surgery of some sort, there must be a drug out there that can counter-act the Suboxone's effect. Basically the 48-72 hours, give or take a few hours more or less is the time-frame. Hope this helps.

Last edited by JJx23; 01-09-2008 at 01:43 PM.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:17 PM   #13
Inactive
(male)

mano2008 HB User

No, there is no drug that counteracts suboxone. If you are having a planned surgery they will just tell you to stop taking it a day in advance, and then give you extra pain meds. If it's an emergency type surgery, you have to hope you get a sympathetic doctor who knows about suboxone.
I recently had a colonoscopy done...They told me to not take my sub the day of the procedure. The doctor told me afterwords he had to give me more Demerol than any other patients he has ever preformed one on to get me through it...they use the drug versed which basically causes amnesia but you're not fully out, so apparently he could tell i was in pain. Plus my bowels are raw from constipation from opiate use...diverticulitus, which probably many opiate users have.

And you can most definitely get high while using suboxone....I had many slips early in my treatment...you just have to take a much higher dose, and in doing so risk overdosing...It's the other way around that is a problem...if you start taking suboxone while you have too much opiates in your system, you will go into what they call precipitated with drawls, which are basically with drawls x 10....really bad!

But eventually even fools like me realize it's not worth those little slips because you pay the price getting back on the sub...I haven't slipped since last summer and really don't think I will again. Counseling had something to do with that too, and some time under my belt not high so i could really think clearly. Tomorrow I drop to 1.3 mg of sub! Almost there!!

mano

Last edited by mano2008; 01-09-2008 at 04:18 PM.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:57 PM   #14
(female)

piercedprettie HB User

so im completely lost and confused.....say tuesday i took 2 8mg subs and then wednesday i took a half a sub....when would i be able to take any other type of pill and get a buzz.ive been asking this question since i been on the subs and i cant find the answer...its the mystery question....

Old 03-04-2008, 08:33 PM   #15
(male)

theoneandonly99 HB User

I need to add to this post an angle that hasnt been dealt with yet.., first pierced, you could take pain pills the day after you took your last sub..

I am a straight up oxy blaster.. never eaten one in my life, never will. I am on suboxone maintainence and abuse oxy 80's, which not to sound cocky by any means, are way more powerful than hydro smydro or whatever it is you crazy kids are doin these days.. I can take 4 mg of subox at 10 am and by 4 pm that day I could snort say a 40 or 80 and feel absolutely No negative effects, stemming from the Nalox or bup... Since I skipped over the eating pills' phase, Im not sure how it works in that regard, but I would assume it would be the same or close to it..... I really dont mean to boast because these things have helped ruin my life along with my choices and I wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy.
good luck

Closed Thread