It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2006, 03:41 PM   #1
(female)

Margine8 HB User
Question Does Cocaine make people act really bizare?

I need help. I don't know much about Cocaine or what it does to people. Can cocaine make someone act like really apathetic and make them do really abrupt bizarre things, like disappearing and being really moody?

Last edited by Margine8; 07-01-2006 at 03:41 PM.

Old 07-01-2006, 04:16 PM   #2
(male)

ET123 HB User
Thumbs down Re: Does Cocaine make people act really bizare?

Typically (at least at first) cocaine makes people very talkative, friendly, braggarts, outgoing, witty.... yada yada. Then usually after a relatively short period of time it makes people exactly like you said. You can add paranoid to those symtoms. Many symptoms come from the rapid and severe psychological withdrawals from the drug and they will occur as soon as 20 minutes after the last dose. I used to use cocaine, like all (abused) drugs it is a liar and does the devil's bidding.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2006, 05:29 PM   #3
(female)

Margine8 HB User
Re: Does Cocaine make people act really bizare?

Thank you for the insight and I give you a lot of respect for getting off the stuff.
The person I know has supposedly been doing it for like 7 years or something. How can you tell if their health is really at stake are their any warning symptoms?
For example one night he got really bad chest pains and was gasping for air... while he was trying to breathe, he kept making a weird noise.

Old 07-01-2006, 07:57 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

If he's been doing cocaine that long....he probably has heart damage, and no matter what his age, could have heart attack or stroke at any time. Speed is very hard on one's body..organs can only take so much. You need to see if he will get some help and also go to doc to get checkup....he's playing with his life at this point.

Old 07-02-2006, 04:15 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Marg-
Cocaine can affect the user in many ways. It also affects the people who love and care for the user as well in that they are the ones having to watch the changes their loved one is going through, and try and help them to beat their addiction.

My brother in law was addicted to the stuff, and I knew it immediately from the first time I met him. He had wild mood swings. He'd be happy and loud and boisterous one minute- I mean to the point of being hyperactive, and then then next minute he was depressed and withdrawn. He would leave the office and then disappear for days on end, wouldn't answer the phone or return phone calls. When he would return to the office he would hold up in his office and talk like he was paranoid. Then, the next day, he felt like he was superman again, coming up with all these wild and exciting ideas.

He had diarhea (sp?) all the time as well along with a stuffy or runny and bleeding nose. Sneezing all the time. I finally convinced his family to accept that he was addicted although he never admitted it. Some of us confronted him/tried an intervention, which didn't work. The only thing that made him admit his addiction was when he got busted traffiking the stuff in another county.

Best thing that could have happened to him because he spent time in jail and cleaned up because of it. He lost his wife, children, home, business, and every penny of his money and had to start from square one.

If you think someone you love and care about is addicted, or even just using, please help them and find help for them before they end up in a world of hurt. I wish you the very best.

Lezlee

Last edited by ozzybug; 07-02-2006 at 04:17 AM.

Old 07-02-2006, 07:58 AM   #6
(female)

Mischeif HB User

All of the previous posts here are incredibly accurate as far as the behavior of a person on cocaine. I agree that if you believe someone has been using for that long, 7 years, there is in all likelihood heart damage. I used about that long, had rapid heart beats, sweats and trouble breathing. That wasn't enough to make me stop, though. Everyone reaches a different point when they say enough is enough. If your friend hasn't reached that point, then letting him know you will be there for him when he's ready is about all you can do. I don't know much about interventions, but maybe that's an option if you aren't the only one in his life this is affecting. Remember that he's in the throws of addiction, his disease is in total control. You may not get the response you hope for when you talk to him, but you can plant a seed of hope. If there is a part of him that wants to quit, it will hold onto that seed of hope and it will grow. Don't give up on him, but do not let yourself be emotionally drained by his disease. I don't know how close you are, but do not enable him, loan him money or give him persission to continue to use. Those things will only prolong him reaching the point where he will be willing to quit.

You are a good friend, and obviously concerned about him. Let us know how it goes with him. Remember, you cannot make him do anything. The ultimate decision is his to make.

Old 07-02-2006, 11:51 AM   #7
(female)

Margine8 HB User

OMG. This is horrible. I don't know he won't speak to me. He just disappeared and changed his number. I could e-mail him but I doubt he will reply.
He probably does have heart damage. He used to get these chest pains at night. But he denies the coke use to me. I only know because EVERYONE around him used to come up to me and tell me what a HUGE coke head he was. . . I have to risk being like a moron stalker, since he changed his number, and email him. I think I have to. No one else in his life confronts him and tells him he has a problem.
Thanks for the help you guys and sharing yoru stories.
Should I just email him. What do I say?

Old 07-02-2006, 12:27 PM   #8
(female)

Margine8 HB User

he also drinks very heavily... very very heavily..
help i dont know what to do now im so worried. what can i do?

Old 07-02-2006, 01:38 PM   #9
(male)

ET123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margine8
he also drinks very heavily... very very heavily..
help i dont know what to do now im so worried. what can i do?
Well, I always start with prayer. No matter what your faith, if you believe there is a God then you probably believe that prayer is beneficial (as I do). It sounds very much like your friend is bent on killing himself, unfortunately he is the only one that can change that. Alcohol is cheap and legal, a bad combination for the alcoholic.

Old 07-02-2006, 01:39 PM   #10
(female)

Margine8 HB User

thanks, but i cant just sit by and wait till i hear he's dead....

Old 07-02-2006, 03:27 PM   #11
(male)

ET123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margine8
thanks, but i cant just sit by and wait till i hear he's dead....
I didn't suggest that you should... I mentioned starting with prayer. If you don't have faith in God then I suppose that isn't much help. If you can reach your friend and arrange an intervention with other loved ones present it might reach him. My point was not meant to be cold, just that with any kind of help it will be neccessary that he want the help. It's just the nature of addiction that if we refuse the help there aren't many other options.

Wish you the best.

Old 07-02-2006, 06:52 PM   #12
(female)

Margine8 HB User

thank you i will pray for him. i am just so worried and frustrated. he has so much potential and he's such a good person it's hard for me to just stand by and watch the damage he's doing. i feel like i wanna drag him out of the bar and make him better. i know i cant.

Old 07-03-2006, 02:36 PM   #13
(female)

Margine8 HB User
Red face Re: Does Cocaine make people act really bizare?

Does this drug really have that much of an effect that you can just shut people out of your life and just not talk to them and erase them and stuff. It's like he's two different people. He says he loves me wants to marry me make a family then he just gets mad for nothing and cuts me out like I don't exists..

Old 07-03-2006, 02:47 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Marg-
Yes- it absolutely does have this much of an effect on a person. It causes wild mood swings, paranoia, and a host of other emotional,physical,bodily & psycholocigal problems. If you do a search on-line and read about it, you might be suprised at all the different ways it affects the user. It's a very dangerous drug, and yes- those using will shut the people they love out of their lives for days and even weeks on end.

It takes control of their lives, and what used to be a kind, warm, loving and involved person can turn in to someone that you just would never recognize. It truly does alter their personality in ways that are disturbing and upsetting to those around them.

I am so sorry you have to endure this. I do hope that he finds the help he needs. It's not easy to beat an addiction, but if a person wants to beat it, they can and they will with the right willpower, help and support. If he has cut off contact with you, then he may not be ready and/or willing to give up his addiction.

I do wish you the best. You will find plenty of support here, I can promise you that.

Sincerely,
Lezlee

Last edited by ozzybug; 07-03-2006 at 02:47 PM.

Old 07-03-2006, 02:52 PM   #15
(female)

Margine8 HB User

thank you. i am like a total emotional wreck right now. i know i need to move on from him and just forget about having a relationship with him, he is just tearing me to shreds. i mean who knows when i will hear from him again, it usually last a month or two. but i can only take so much.

Closed Thread