It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2006, 11:59 AM   #1
(male)

Robb235 HB User
Uh oh, is my girlfiend becoming addicted to painkillers?

Hey guys, I think my girlfriend might be becomming or is already addicted to painkillers. I've been dating her for about 2 months now and she's always been the sweetest, kind hearted person I've ever known. But during the weekend in a softball tournament she twisted her back and had to go to the ER. Nothing was broken, but due to her throwing motion it just caused painful muscle spasms in her back and the doc gave her ibuprofen, lortab, and valium as well as prescribing more to her. I don't know the doses, but I do know that she's no stranger to painkillers and she's told me that what the doctor told her to take isn't enough and isn't doing anything for her and she's taking more of her lortab than what she's supposed to. I've also noticed an abrupt change in her behavior, particularly towards me. She all of a sudden doesn't seem to want to be around me as much, which is a big change, and even today on my birthday she didn't really want do anything with me. This came as a complete surprise to me. I've also just recently learned that she drinks on occasion and she's been a light smoker for 2 years now (she's 18 years old).

I've read Dr. Drew Pinsky's book Cracked which contains alot of information about drug addiction and was very insightful, and from what I've read from the book, I'm almost positive that my girlfriend is becomming addicted. I know that an addiction to painkillers is near impossible to defeat, but is there anything at this point I can do to get help for her? Most likely not since she doesn't even think she has a problem and I know she'll resist any attempt to get help... For now I'm just going to see what happens once her meds run out and see what she does from there. My dad is a family practice physician and if I notice that she's trying to get prescriptions then I'll know for sure that she's addicted (my dad is not the one that prescribed her the meds, we were out of town when the injury took place). Personaly, I predict that once her painkillers run out she's going to continue to complain about her back pain and continue trying to get more painkillers, but only time will tell at this point.

Anyone have any thoughts they'd like to share?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2006, 12:29 PM   #2
(female)

Cheyenne1 HB User
Re: Uh oh, is my girlfiend becoming addicted to painkillers?

Robb definately keep an eye on her habits. You are right to be concerned here (just a heads up though) As to her attitude... sometimes the meds prescribed have an adverse effect on some individuals..for instance Darvocet turns my MIL into a monster of epic proportions no kidding! She has scoliosis. So I make it a point now to tell the Docs never to prescribe that. You might want to tell your GF to go see another Doc (If your Dad will see her good as you can keep a better eye on her habits) Confide in your Dad, if he's a GP he has seen this problem plenty of times and will be better equipped to handle the situation and monitor her. Also physical therapy might be a good idea... ask your dad, as back pain can last a while once its injured and doesnt take much to re-injure the area again.... Just a thought. Hope all turns out well

Old 08-02-2006, 03:29 PM   #3
(male)

Robb235 HB User

As far as her back goes, it's been a recurring injury, but this was by far the worst episode on Sunday. I actually have a thread about one of her back incidents (which I have forgotten to update...) that happend a few weeks ago in one of the other forums. She'll be getting an MRI soon so they can see what's going on there.

Old 08-04-2006, 01:30 PM   #4
(male)

Fibbles HB User

I'm not usually one to post in this section because I take Morphine for chronic pain, but I read them from time to time to keep myself aware of potential problems. Your post caught my eye.

2 months is not a long time to really get to know someone and find out what their particular habits are. What if she has taken various medications before and they don't work well or is always prescribed the same one for pain and they just don't work that well anymore? It's not so far fetched. I have a bone and joint disease with various problems, but most doctors felt I was way too young to be on something long term (or "heavy duty"), no matter what my pain levels were, so it was always percocet every few months. That caused me to develope a tolerance to it. So then, for that same relief I had to take more.

Just because painkillers can change her mood doesn't mean that she's getting addicted. Could it be that there are other issues going on at the same time and she's finding herself not wanting to be around you? There's all sorts of things that could be causing that. Pain itself can do that and from personal experience, that's the number one reason I can be very grumpy. It's not fun to hang out or do things when you're in pain! I don't like to be around people, be they my friends or family, if I'm in pain.

I drank occasionally when I was 18. I don't drink now, but that's because I'm on a long acting painkiller for my bone disease. I never smoked because I have asthma.

Getting her to see your father is the wrong thing to do! Especially if you want her to remain your friend. Your dad wouldn't be allowed to keep you informed about her health problems (they would be between her and him) and that would be akin to spying on her. That's not a good position to be in, even if you want to help her.

Closed Thread