It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2006, 10:36 AM   #1
(female)

carlamichelle HB User
Hi!! I'm new and I'm wondering if ultram is habit forming?

HI... I'm a 39 year old female whos been addictive to codiene for the last 7 years.... I have tried to stop many of times but end up having really bad WD and just to make myself feel better I always go buy more.....I usually take about 5 lorcets plus (7.5) a day.... untill recently when I was giving tramadol 50mg....(ultram)..... Taking the tramadol has stopped any withdrawls I was having from the codiene...... what I'm wondering am I replacing one addiction for another.... I really want to be drug free and have prayed every night for God to give me the strength... If anyone has any advice it would mean alot to me......

Old 08-18-2006, 12:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Philster2003 HB User
Re: Hi!! I'm new and I'm wondering if ultram is habit forming?

Carla;

Hi, I think you will find, at least I did that Ultram is just as habit forming and addictive as the Lorcets. As a matter of fact I always thought the withdrawals from Ultram were much worse then hydrocodone (longer half life). Of course thats my 2 cents but I've come off Ultram and hydrocodone and IMHO Ultram = nasty. If I was going to get off Lorcet I would taper or CT vs. trying to CT from Ultram or taper from Ultram.

I'm full of real life experience if you have any other questions. ha

take care

phil

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2006, 08:36 AM   #3
(male)

vide1111 HB User

Hey Carla...welcome! I will tell from first hand experience, ultram/tramadol is VERY addictive. There are instances where people do not get addicted to it but mostly because they do not feel its effects in the first place (just like some who take oxys and don't even feel that). Since tram stops your WDs then you're looking to substitute one drug for another and from experience and from the hundred or so posts I're read about this, ultram/tram is far worse than vicodin/lorcet/darvocet and some would say even percs because it affects serotonin/norephedrine (sp?) in the brain...it behaves almost like an SSRI so once stopped, not only do you have to deal with the physical opiate WDs but the serotonin/anti-depressant effects as well.

I was taking over 20 trams (1000mg) each day for weeks and 5-15/day for 6 months or so. Taper did not work for me at first but after I've experienced the deeeeeeeeeep depression as a side effect of good ol 'non-addictive' tram, I tapered from 20 down by 1 each day until I had nothing. Withdrawals were mild during those days and once I hit 1-2 pills, they were less and less. That was a week ago. All physical WDs are gone minus the anxiety at night when it's hard to sleep/racing mind. My advice to you, do some research on these boards and elsewhere on how tram/ultram works and decide for yourself as hearing doctors talk about this miracle drug might put you in a trap from which I barely escaped. Taper worked for me, it's worth a try but substituting lorcets for something horrible like tram is a no-no.
Danny.

Old 08-19-2006, 09:10 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Blasterboy HB UserBlasterboy HB User

Ultram is really addictive to people showing addictive techdancies to opiate drugs. Your best hope is to go to NA and seek the support of people who've been where you've been and have now recovered.

Closed Thread