It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2006, 01:57 PM   #1

LonelyTraveler HB User
Red face Five days sober and I am TERRIFIED!!!

Hi

After drinking about a 12 pack of beer every day for over a year, I have finally gone on Campral and have been completely sober for the last five days. Although Campral (and Xanax) have both helped with the cravings and all the other weird, foggy-headed, zoned-out feelings people often experience during withdrawal, sobriety has not been an easy road to travel for me and either due to the side effects of the Campral -or- the detox itself, I have been experiencing the following symptoms...

(1#) I wake up feeling "ok" in the mornings but toward the afternoon, I start to feel cranky, irritable and become a "Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde" and find myself snapping at the silliest things for no reason.

(2#) I often experience confusion and memory problems or do really scatterbrained things and feel like I'm losing it completely.

(3#) Low-grade headache that comes and goes (very mild).

(4#) Lots of anxiety and nervousness.

(5#) When I wake up in the morning, there is an acrid, putrid "morning smell" in my bedroom as if I sweated all night but I wake up dry so I don't know what is causing this smell.

(5#) Very fuzzy, spacy, foggy, dazed, stuporish, zoned-out feeling in my head - especially later in the day.

And the thing is...I know from past experience, that after the first few beers, ALL of these weird feelings and sensations would magically go away.

So is all of this normal?. Is it from alcohol withdrawal?. Is it the Campral?. Or perhaps a combination of these things?.

I tell you, I feel like absolute CRAP right now and feel like I'm going out of my mind!!!.

- Thank you for listening and any help you people can provide would be greatly appreciated.

- Regards, LT

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2006, 02:11 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

kim4074 HB User
Re: Five days sober and I am TERRIFIED!!!

Campral is a medication that helps people stay alcohol-free in combination with counseling or support groups once they have stopped drinking. Campral is thought to restore the normal brain balance, which has been disturbed in someone who is alcohol dependent.

When a person stops drinking, his or her brain reacts to the absence of alcohol by sending out signals of stress and agitation. Even after the initial withdrawal period, the brain may continue to send signals that cause distress (e.g. anxiety, sweating, difficulty sleeping).

People usually start drinking again to relieve these symptoms of distress.

Campral is believed to help restore the chemical balance and prevent the feelings of discomfort associated with not drinking. Many people taking Campral report they spend much less time thinking about drinking. Campral, in combination with counseling or support groups, makes it easier for people not to drink.

Im my opinion with my addiction and w/d I would get irritated if a piece of dust fell on the table I was irritable and just miserable I knew what would make it all go away. ONE pill and I would be able to function and be almost normal. All of us addicts know what will end the miserary of w/d its finding the strength within to [B]not[B] run to the bottle whether a pill bottle or a beer bottle. You have been posting on here for a very long time and no matter what any one says you still continue to do what you do and then come back for answers when you already know the answers please dont take this the wrong was cause I know NO way walk on water but I really wanted to stop and I reached out and got help and really took control over my addiction. You were clean for many years and you know you can do it the question is how badly do you want it!!! Please find a meeting if I remember right they helped you in the past I think alot of us fall off out sober wagon its getting back on the wagon that is the important part we are all human the cravings and the mind are very powerful. It will make you miserable until you give it what it wants like a baby throwing a tantrum till you give it what it wants then and only then does it stop crying. Eventually if you stop giving it what it wants every time they want it the tantrums stop! Good luck with your recovery take it seriously do whatever it takes I think at this point sounds like it could be the difference between life and death. One of my good friends just lost her mom from alcohol at a very young age please this will kill you I really hope you take our hands and let us help you when you are not strong enough to help yourself! Kim

Old 09-03-2006, 06:01 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Thiswasyourlife HB User

LT,

Please take a moment to seach my name and read my posts. I just posted one this evening and ended it with saying I am soo tired to post anymore. I will say some prayers for you. Hang in there.....

Marilyn

Old 09-05-2006, 03:33 AM   #4
(male)

pancreas HB User

LT,

I quit alcohol after 30 years and have been clean for a year. What your'e feeling is normal, I had each of the items you noted. They will become less frequent but I still have them occasionally. After years of trying to quit I finally asked my shrink to prescribe ReVia. It has worked wonders for me and along with antabuse and meetings it became bearable. The ReVia had no physical effects and reduced cravings but more importantly it relived me of those continuous thoughts of alcohol.

Al...

Old 09-05-2006, 12:06 PM   #5

LonelyTraveler HB User

Hi and thank you for all the wonderful help and support!!

I apologize for responding so late but as some of you may already know, I have been struggling lately to stay sober and so I have not been around here that much lately. Shortly after I posted this, I took a Campral and most of the weird feelings in my head went away about a half hour later. This is the 7'th day for me and I am still sober but it has not all been easy. Thank you for letting me know that I am not alone in this and that you all care .

- Regards, LT

Closed Thread