It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2006, 06:23 AM   #1
(female)

troublex2 HB User
Marijuana

hello,

i wanted to know if there is a dependency from smoking marijuana?i am 26 y/o and i have had my share of smoking weed but i never felt that i "needed" it.but i have not done that in about 7 years.but the reason i am here is because my little brother,15,is smoking weed and it kills me that he does this.my mom and dad punish him all the time for this.he knows that they know when he is high.so yesterday they let him go to the mall with our cousin and my mom called him to see what time he would be home and he lied and said they were in traffic...little did he know but my sister was down our aunts house and my cousin was there.so he lied about being in traffic,they did go to the mall though.so my mom said she knew he was high and just come home.he told her he has a problem.i dont know if he is just saying this or if its true.he has anger issues,adhd,and sometimes he gets a little out of control.i am so worried about him.what do i do?

Old 09-11-2006, 06:53 AM   #2
Inactive

mithradates HB User
Re: Marijuana

Smoking marijuana is not at all good for health. Plz advice your brother to stop it.

There are many better things in life than drugs. Try to find true happiness, that comes spiritually. There are many paths to happiness, but the ones involving human intellect are the most valuable.

We people were not born to waste our times doing drugs. We have other aims and aspirations. And we should live upto them.

truly,
-Mith

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2006, 11:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

Tell your parents to get a MJ drug test from the drug store. $10 and drug test him randomly. Tell him if he tests positive, he will be sent away to school. Look some of the schools up on the web and show them where he will go if he tests positive.

Old 09-11-2006, 05:41 PM   #4
(female)

troublex2 HB User

my mother has tested him already,a couple times.it doesnt scare him.do people really get a dependancy for weed?

Old 09-11-2006, 05:55 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

kim4074 HB User

I was about 12 when I started smoking weed then for some reason it wasnt fun anymore so at age 17 I quit and never touched it again. So maybe he will grow out of it. Its hard I think you do get almost a mental and some kind of dependancy on it. It could also be like a peer thing if all your friends are doing it. I hope he realizes what can happen if he doesnt stop now. So hopefully he will open his eyes maybe he thinks its cool do go around and say I'm soooo stoned when in reality he looks like an idiot he will realize that soon though. Its only fun for awhile then it get real old. Best wishes Kim

Old 09-12-2006, 05:02 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

mpvt HB User

I wouldn't think at his age he would be mentally addicted yet.It's definately a lifestyle that you and your brother can change.Pot is useless and does no one any good.Talk to him and tell him what a waste of money it is and how bad for his health it is......Dave

Old 09-12-2006, 07:33 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

I think it does make you dependant...because it suppresses your feelings. you sort of put them on hold for awhile. Kind of a numbing effect. I have a 21 yr old who has smoked it since he was 16....it's kept him from getting jobs cause he couldn't pass the drug test. I believe with all my heart that weed is a gateway drug. You ask any addict and they will tell you that's where they started. Sounds corny...but it is true...Your brother needs a big brother to talk to him.

Old 09-13-2006, 11:06 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

viking55803 HB User

Marijuana is clearly one of the least harmful of the commonly abused drugs. With your brother, however, the issue is not drugs but age. Recent studies show that alcohol use during adolescence has a much more profound effect on brain development than previously known. One should never consider alcohol a less harmful drug than marijuana! (Something some parents do as in, "I'd rather have my kid drink than smoke pot.")

In any case, use of any mood altering drug, including alcohol, is a decision that should only be made by adults - people whose brains have fully matured. Early use increases the risk for substance dependence later. Your brother should consult with a professional about his use in my opinion. Just say no obviously has not worked.

Old 09-13-2006, 06:28 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

td9997 HB User

Smoke aint medicine~~~~

Have your bro see an adult proffesional hes too young, to be on that stufI. I did smoke in the 70's but only inhaled once. It was NOT addictive then in the 70's {71} public for a drug free America, "made marijuna" addictive in the 90's.

Yeah bros too young for w, it aint good << smoke aint medicine~~~~~

tell him its time to 'Turn the page" buck up, and just do it, give it up.

Closed Thread