It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2006, 05:24 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

chefob1 HB User
cig addiction/chantix new approach

my doctor just gave me a prescription for a new drug on the market that targets cigarette addiction....its called chantix and comes in a .5mg and one mg. pill...it binds to the nicotine receptors in your brain and stops the craving,impulse to smoke...it has a high success rate and is supposed to be revolutionary in its approach...type in the name.com and it has a website that could help you in your fight against smoke addiction.....the litature states in the clinical trials that it helped folks who had a 20 cig a day for average of 25 years of smoking quit....you start with a pill a day for three days , then to two a day for 4 additional days,then starts your quit date...they want the drug to build up in ypour system and actually encourage you to continue(ifr you can)your habit until the eight deay...then you move up on mg's and supposedly people feel the effects by then....we shall see...ill keep you guys updated on my progress...ive smoked for 34 years a pack aday and for the last couple months have been weezing real bad and had a bought with pneumonia a month ago...if anyone needes help quitting,its me.....good luck to all...the chef

Old 09-28-2006, 05:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User
Re: cig addiction/chantix new approach

I'm gonna try this new drug too. But the only thing that bothers me is the side effects....upset stomach........I am so afriaid of that. Says it could last months...........I'll just pray I have no side effects.............let's do it!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2006, 05:35 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

chefob1 HB User

i guess well be laying the gtround work for this website....the product cost me 100 bucks for a months supply and yes,i read that the side effects of nausea might be there for some folks,but it says that the effects werent that bad for them to quit the program......i like this approach cause it has no nicotine in it....the most addictive drug on the planet....they have a good website with support and follow up...chef

Old 09-28-2006, 12:26 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

cram315 HB User

I don't know the cost yet of Chantix (on the web it says 30 day supply is about $170), when I called pharmacy they asked what strength I needed when I was trying to find out cost. Does it come in two? I think I would go on the lower dose.

I smoke less than 9 cig a day and don't want to be wired if I overtake meds, (I have a problem with hypersensitivity to all drugs.)

How many pills do you take a day? Can you not take them in the evening? Let us know how the first 24 was for you, I still can call my doctor tomorrow.

Excited and scared all at the same time.

Old 09-28-2006, 04:08 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

sad,mum HB User

Well i saw my councellor today and have my supply of patches and puffers(inhalators)stop day is monday,actually looking forward to it,sick of smoking (20 per day),your wonder drug is not available here until january.If my daughter can do it so can i.Kim i have appointed you my mentor.I have tried with friends before and out of 4,1 did it,but the strength i feel doing it you guys is much stronger,Lets save the money and meet,maybe on a cruise ship,lifes short and anything is possible,it seems unthinkable that we will never meet,may be a good idea to give descriptions.
5'4"
116 pounds
dark brown straight shoulder length hair
hazel eyes
I just know crams blonde,kim and flintrock are dark,and chef is sandy
oh and the dreaded bit 47yrs
love your so to be ex smoker

Old 09-29-2006, 03:13 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

kim4074 HB User

LOL sadmum your wrong! Thats funny. I have red hair (which would describe my attitude sometimes) 5'5" about 135 and 31yrs old. Well I still am smoking so I dont know how good of a mentor I will be but I have quit alot of other things! Best wished you guys got this down the plan looks good. Kim

Old 09-29-2006, 03:29 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

chefob1 HB User

sadmum...never thought about your looks...but wow...now that i think about it....im a 6 footer..your right,ive got sandy blond hair that always seems to need a cut..i weigh 162 for that past 30 years...im 46 but have a baby face so i look 30....always in the chef jacket and wild lookin chef pants....yesterdays pants were all different kinds of mushrooms,ive got a fish pair,pants w/tomatoes,ect...today im in fatigues...didnt get any side effects from the chantix so we'll see if it works...if i dont show up here some day its cause the smoke darn killed me....man,i feel it in my lungs and the damage is done....however,they say its never too late to quit...gotta cook...chef

cram...they start you off on .5mg for 3 days...then 1 mg for 4 days...then 2mg for 14 day spurts...one pill in a.m,./one in p.m

Last edited by chefob1; 09-29-2006 at 03:32 AM.

Old 09-29-2006, 12:43 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

cram315 HB User

I have done nothing to prep for this quit smoking on Monday. Inhalers and drugs are all astonimical here, $171 for the inhaler cartridges and about the same for the Chantix. My insurance plan covers zip. But don't give up on me yet.

I had to laugh Sadmum, I do have blond hair but only on the top. I wear my hair very short and spikey. I go dark in the winter.

We are about the same weight, height and age.

Old 09-29-2006, 12:54 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

kim4074 HB User

Dont forget check with your dr's office they get a ton of those inhalers from the nicorette company I wish I could mail you some but not allowed. I know they get alot of samples though so dont forget wont hurt to call. I have learned never to leave the dr's office with a script without asking for samples first the prevacid I take is 132.40/mo but I just get the samples from my drs office and they are free. If they are out I also ask the nurse if they can call the drug rep and have some sent there and they usually do it. So if they are out find a nice nurse who still cares (I have some moodyones at my drs) and they usually dont have a problem calling them. Also ask for some coupons too cause most drug companies give the dr's coupons too for like the first week free trial thing. I also found on the computer last night at nicorette I think that you can get a free coupon. So dont give up now I know you wont hope this will help you find something. I know how hard it is especially if you dont know the system. Kim

Old 09-29-2006, 02:45 PM   #10
Veteran
(female)

cram315 HB User

In order for me to get a prescription, I have to see my doctor first, I have an appointment at noon tomorrow. I asked about stop smoking samples, they have nothing but maybe they have samples of wellbutrin which works the same as zyban if my body can't tolerate the Chantix. I am also going to ask for rozeram (sp?) the new sleep aid, in case the Chantix won't allow me to sleep. I am going to my regular doctor (PCP in my HMO). I will ask for coupons.

Chef keep us updated this weekend on the Chantix side effects and how well it is working on you. If the pills are a 30 day supply and it gradually increases what happens if you cannot tolerate the dosage, can you cut these pills in half? Glad to have you back Chef.

I want to quit mentally but my body is going to give me a fight, I just know it. That is why the Chantix sounds like a good thing.

Will update you after I get back.

Last edited by cram315; 09-29-2006 at 02:49 PM.

Old 09-29-2006, 02:54 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

kim4074 HB User

The welbutrin kept me up too the trick to to take it first thing when you wake up that way it doesnt affect your sleep that helped me alot with it. Good luck. Kim

Old 09-29-2006, 02:58 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

sad,mum HB User

Wating to hear from you flintrock,hope all is well,my daughter tested positive for cocaine today but was clean 2 days ago ,she went clubbing last night and snorted a couple of lines,havent freaked out just hope this is a blip.Cram we complain about our nhs but i just paid 20 dollars for 2 weeks supply of patches and inhalators,again like kim wish i could send you some,dont be under pressure to qiut monday you can join in anytime,Chef think maybe you hit jackpot with these pills,hope so but if not all will be revealed in our short tempered posts over the next few weeks,already smoking more than normal,typical addicts mentality,get as much as i can while i can,Kim you can still support us even though you smoke just dont tell us about how you relaxed with a glass of wine and a ciggy cos i will have to abstain from the wine also because then i will weaken,i know my triggers and will avoid them,this is my best shot,a determined sadmum

Old 09-29-2006, 05:23 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

All is well here I guess. Haven't heard fom son, not sure if that's good or bad...........I am 5'1", 102 pounds, brownish/blondish hair (highlights) should be gray...but not ready for that yet....48 yr old.....and ready to quit too. I am just going to use my patches....they are cheaper for me than the prescriptions and they've worked before. I am also looking forward to this quit. I am sick of smoking.........and coughing!! Hubby has alreayd quit....6 months ago...cold turkey.......am going to joing the exercise gym Monday and start working out...who knows. I might gain weight!! Been trying for 10 years!!! Maybe with the no smoking and eating eating eating I will................good luck everyone~~~

I am so sorry daughter tested positive. She just doesn't get it yet. But not your problem, she is in control!!!!! Don't freak out...does no good!!!!! Let's think about ourselves for once!!!!!

Old 09-29-2006, 07:31 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

kim4074 HB User

why does it seem easier to men do we have an emotional attachment for them? When I stopped before it helped if I had to go outside and smoke cause it was too cold out and wouldnt smoke in my car which by the way I try to smoke as many as I can before work. Break the habits of where you smoke and that will cut you way back. Scott stopped ct too woke up one moring and said I'm done smoking and that was that!!!!! HOW???? This is sounding better and better I might hop on the wagon! Good luck

Old 09-30-2006, 08:54 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

chefob1 HB User

started my 4th day on therapy...today i take a pill in a.m and one this afternoon...zero side effects...no problems sleeping....medicine costs less than smokes on a daily basis so you shouldnt mind cost...it looks like they come out at 2.50 change a pill....can feel it starting to work...i think this is going to be a miracle drug...im super/duper excited...patch didnt work nor commit lozenges...they all have nicotine in them and you want to stay away from that crap...thats why we smoke...to get that euphoria beleive it or not from the nicotine in the smoke...thats why this med is important cause it doesnt treat your body with nicotine..it goes right to the brain receptors that tell you to smoke....tells receptors not to let nicotine in.....no nausea,feel pretty good today...rock on...chef

Closed Thread