It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2006, 11:40 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

mommaoftwinsplus1 HB Usermommaoftwinsplus1 HB User
Are alcohol withdrawl symptoms unbearable?

Hey there. I am a 31 year old mother of 3 young children and I really want to quit drinking. After putting the kids to bed at night, I head to the refrigerator for some wine or beer. Once I start, I keep going. I don't drink enough to get sick, but enough to feel bad the next morning. Low energy, shakey, in a daze. I don't like how this makes me feel. My kiddos need a Mom who has energy and is happy. My question is are the withdrawl symptoms worth quitting drinking. I am so scared that my body will shut down without it. I think that I just need some words of encouragement to get through it.

How did you go about quitting? Did you set a date when your going to quit? Any advice would be great.

Mommaoftwinsplus1

Old 09-28-2006, 01:06 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

bkim HB User
Re: Are alcohol withdrawl symptoms unbearable?

Hey there. Why dont you give it a try tonight and see how you feel in the morning. My doc was pills, and the w/d's were hell. Hold on tight "thiswasyourwife" will come on board and fill you in.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2006, 03:51 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

sad,mum HB User

hi,so pleased you want to quit drinking but be honest about how much you drink,my elder sister drinks a bottle of vodka every day,has done for years,and her doc said it would be dangerous for her to quit cold turkey she would need medical help.In england we do a home detox,where a nurse visits everyday and gives medication.good luck and welcome youre in good company here,sadmum

Old 09-28-2006, 11:38 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Thank you for the replies! I really need to get my life back in order. I have a wonderful life..wonderful Hubby, awesome kids, beautiful home, I get to stay home with my Kiddos, so I don't know why I feel like drinking! I guess it has just become a habit and a way of life. The only thing that makes me feel bad about my life is my drinking. I guess I just need to pray for the Lord to take this terrible sin out of my life. I appreciate any replies and encouragement!

mommaoftwinsplus1

Old 09-29-2006, 02:37 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Thiswasyourlife HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaoftwinsplus1
Hey there. I am a 31 year old mother of 3 young children and I really want to quit drinking. After putting the kids to bed at night, I head to the refrigerator for some wine or beer. Once I start, I keep going. I don't drink enough to get sick, but enough to feel bad the next morning. Low energy, shakey, in a daze. I don't like how this makes me feel. My kiddos need a Mom who has energy and is happy. My question is are the withdrawl symptoms worth quitting drinking. I am so scared that my body will shut down without it. I think that I just need some words of encouragement to get through it.

How did you go about quitting? Did you set a date when your going to quit? Any advice would be great.

Mommaoftwinsplus1
Momma,
Hi, I'm Marilyn, an alcoholic. I see you want to stop drinking and have some questions. I think I can answer some if not all of them. Alcoholics, once they start, cant stop after one or two drinks. When you say you dont drink enough to get sick, I am assuming that you mean you dont vomit, yet you are sick the next day with a hang over, shakey, dazed out, etc.
Detoxing from alcohol can be very dangerous. It's the only drug that you can die from while detoxing. Thats why people seek medical attention while detoxing. Here are the symptoms:

Withdrawal Symptoms:Mild to moderate psychological symptoms:

Feeling of jumpiness or nervousness
Feeling of shakiness
Anxiety
Irritability or easily excited
Emotional volatility, rapid emotional changes
Depression
Fatigue
Difficulty with thinking clearly
Bad dreams

Mild to moderate physical symptoms:

Headache - general, pulsating
Sweating, especially the palms of the hands or the face
Nausea
Vomiting
Loss of appetite
Insomnia, sleeping difficulty
Paleness
Rapid heart rate (palpitations)
Eyes, pupils different size (enlarged, dilated pupils)
Skin, clammy
Abnormal movements
Tremor of the hands
Involuntary, abnormal movements of the eyelids

Severe symptoms:

A state of confusion and hallucinations (visual) -- known as delirium tremens
Agitation
Fever
Convulsions
"Black outs" -- As when the person forgets what happened during the drinking episode
Source: National Institutes of Health
-----------------------------------------------------------
Scary stuff huh? I detoxed at home, by myself and was scared to death. I do not reccomend it. I had most of the symptoms, no convulsions thank goodness. There is a questioniar on line that you can take about your alcohol comsumption. From what you have already said, I think you may have your answer. You ask if the WD's are worth quitting drinking. I am not sure what you mean by this. I can say that your kids, health, life etc are worth more than the drinking. I can speak from experience that if you continue on the road your on, your drinking will progress, you will drink in front of your children and they will loose respect for you. You will loose respect for yourself, if you havent already. Your life will become unmanagable and you will be all consumed in chasing the bottle. If you progress to where I was, you will have to drink to maintain. You will cut off your family, friends and become a prisioner in your own home. You will self loath. You may be thinking, that wont happen to me. I thought the same thing. Alcohol does not discrimintate. Trust me.
Alcoholics dont drink because its a "habbit" as you posted for yourself. And, it doent have to be YOUR way of life as you meantion. Its an addiction. A progressive addiction. Its also not a sin per se. Some call it a disease. Google for some information to educate yourself.
I hope you do some soul searching for yourself. There truly is a better way of life and I am living proof of it.
I'd be happy to chat with you more if you like. I'd like to know a little more about you because believe it or not, I care deeply for you and what your going through. It's a horrible situation but YOU can stop drinking if you truly want to. Take care.

**I am responsible......
Whenever anyone, anywhere, reaches out for help, I want the hand of A.A. always to be there.
And for that; I am responsible**
Your Friend,
Marilyn

Old 10-01-2006, 01:51 PM   #6
(male)

RestlessInTexas HB User

i'm 26 years old & have been to rehab for pain killers twice, first time was Sept. 2005, 2nd time was Christmas day 2005 & i saw/met people recovering from every drug you could think of & the alcoholics were the worst i saw....it blew my mind, but i watched these people go from shaking & stuttering every word to being someone that looked like they had been clean for their whole life, but alcoholics were definitely the worst with the withdrawals....

Old 10-01-2006, 11:37 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Yikes...It scars me to quit! I know I can do it though.

Closed Thread